The Student Room Group

Alone and ill at Christmas

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous040598
Hi all,

First of I don't want this post to be super depressing or anything like that I just wanted a place to share my feelings and hopefully receive some positivity to keep me going from you guys reading.

So I'm a first year student at university but things haven't been great for me. During freshers week I caught a pretty deadly virus and was ill for over two weeks which meant I missed out on the socials and sports trials that I really wanted to do. The group of 'friends' I was in weren't really all that nice so I walked away and didn't look back even if it meant I was alone in lectures etc. (I'd rather be in my own company than with fake people which was fine for me).

I had to move accommodation three times due to the people I was placed with were I suffered criminal damage, verbal/physical abuse and theft of my property but thankfully the halls I'm in now are great and my flatmates are all lovely. So yeah it was a pretty unstable start for me at uni but I'm doing really well work wise with my first two assignments coming back as 2:1s.

But unfortunately I wasn't able to enjoy my new hall etc because I got ill and haven't recovered. I've been to the doctors countless times and even rushed to hospital and still no one knows what's wrong. Now I'm a size 10/12 for a reason (I love my food) and because if whatever's happening I'm in constant pain and my appetite is just non existent.

Right now for me it's incredibly hard. Being ill at Christmas is hard enough but because I missed a lot of the start of university where friendships are formed I didn't make any friends and now during such a hard time I don't have that support...

I'm not really sure where I was going with this but I guess all I wanted was to tell someone how I was feeling and how much I would love to have some friends to visit me since I'm on medical leave until February from university.

Thank you for reading and have a merry Christmas x

:hugs: Sorry things aren't going great for you at the moment. I hope all that medical stuff gets sorted soon.

Is there anything kinda social you'd be able to do where you are atm? Maybe join a club or support group? Do you at least have family to dote on you and keep you company? Sucks being alone at any time, but when you're ill and it's Christmas it must really suck.

Best wishes with everything and... Merry Christmas from a random internet stranger! :xmasgrin:
I’m sorry things are going so badly right now
Because you’re ill it’s going to be hard for you to have the enthusiasm to do anything
Will you be spending Christmas with your family?
Keep pestering your gp.
When you feel better, try to join some clubs that you’re interested in. You’ll have something in common with others straight away and hopefully be able to make some friends
A lot of students feel like you. There’s so much hype about student life being the best time. And many find it falls short of that and wonder why it’s going wrong
Wishing you a nice Christmas and a better new year
You can pm me if you need to talk
Hey you can still make friends don’t worry about it. When i was in secondary school I immediately gained a bad reputation because people always said unkind things about me since the very beginning of year 7. But i was able to turn things around and to make some friends as i introduced myself and proved that i was pretty normal. If people don’t know who you are then introduce yourself to individuals and see where it takes you from there :smile: As for being ill and lonely - it sucks but the only thing you can do is wait it out. Reading books or watching tv series can help the feeling of loneliness go away for now :smile: Hope you get much better soon.
Just a thought but is it worth trying to get withdrawn on medical grounds? If you withdraw due to medical reasons student finance may not hold the year against you funding wise and then you could get your health on track and start again with a new group of freshers next year.

Another option is to really try hard with your current nice flatmates. Try and go back and visit them, suggest hanging out more and stuff. You can integrate yourself with an established group, it just takes some effort.
Sorry to hear about your health problems. All the best for a speedy recovery.

Oh and Merry Christmas to you too 🙂
Original post by doodle_333
Just a thought but is it worth trying to get withdrawn on medical grounds? If you withdraw due to medical reasons student finance may not hold the year against you funding wise and then you could get your health on track and start again with a new group of freshers next year.

Another option is to really try hard with your current nice flatmates. Try and go back and visit them, suggest hanging out more and stuff. You can integrate yourself with an established group, it just takes some effort.

Why would this person withdraw when they're doing so well ? That doesn't make any sense. As for trying hard with flat mates they've already said they are lovely and clearly have made an effort but if you read the post it's clear she is unable to visit because she's that ill 🙄

I hope you get better soon anon ! And don't even think about leaving uni, you're doing amazing and hopefully when you go back in February you'll be better 🙏🏻 I'm here if you need anyone to talk to and have the best Christmas you can ❤️🌲
Original post by Anonymous
Why would this person withdraw when they're doing so well ? That doesn't make any sense. As for trying hard with flat mates they've already said they are lovely and clearly have made an effort but if you read the post it's clear she is unable to visit because she's that ill 🙄

I hope you get better soon anon ! And don't even think about leaving uni, you're doing amazing and hopefully when you go back in February you'll be better 🙏🏻 I'm here if you need anyone to talk to and have the best Christmas you can ❤️🌲

it can be harder to start making friends half way through the year... so if OP was unhappy they could consider starting again with a new group of freshers, it's not something OP should definitely do but it makes perfect sense

actually OP doesn't say they're unable to travel, just that they have been extremely ill

maybe if you hadn't gone on anon just to criticise my post OP could take you up on that offer to talk...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending