The Student Room Group

Oxford teacher investigated for 'misgendering' to sue school

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius

This present case doesn't concern what the pupil wished to be called but the head teacher's decision to acquiesce in that choice.

I have no doubt you are correct. People are being bullied or fooled into agreeing with some amazing things these days, and then impose those things on others.
Original post by yudothis
Typical emotional blackmail by trans lobbyists. Modern anti-vaxx: vaxx and your kid becomes autistic, here it’s give them drugs and surgery or they’ll kill them selves.

There’s only been one confirmed trans teen committing suicide in the last years. But I guess that doesn’t fit you’re narrative.

I'm not a trans lobbyist.Its called not being a bully.I don't know where you got the idea that only one confirmed trans teen committed suicide.Suicide is actually very high amongst lgbt youth.Its 3 times higher than the general population.And its even higher for trans people.
All I can say is when I read the original article about the teacher being suspended a while back I was suspicious that the teacher didn't say intentionally say well done girls because he deemed the student who considers themself a boy to be a girl.
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Scitty
Actually, speaking as someone who is trans, people who don't accept it as a form of mental disorder are doing more harm than good. It IS a mental illness, and transitioning is an effective treatment.

Claiming it isn't a mental disorder takes away the seriousness of it, and could make it harder for people to get help, especially as if people believe it isn't a disorder but rather a choice, it could be difficult to receive financial and medical help when it comes to transitioning. At the moment the NHS helps people who are are transgender/non-binary. That's invaluable; don't try and take that from us.

Please stop trying to pretend it isn't a disorder. Because if it's just a "belief" it starts to sound like it's a choice - as if I would voluntarily decide one day that I don't want to be my biological sex any more, and go through years of pain and depression while transitioning just for the hell of it.

I understand where you're coming from, especially with the help given by the NHS, but surely classifying it as a mental illness means it's something that's inherently wrong with the individual? I'm not saying it's a belief or a choice, either, because it's definitely not and no one would choose to feel like that. I'm not trying to be insensitive btw it's a genuine question :smile:
Original post by bones-mccoy
surely classifying it as a mental illness means it's something that's inherently wrong with the individual?

Rather like having multiple personalities, no ability to empathise, or to remember things you have recently done? They are all conditions that can and should be investigated and treated where possible. These people suffer disproportionately from other mental conditions, too, including anxiety, suicidal tendencies, depression and eating disorders.

You seem to be more concerned with removing the stigma of having an illness than with treating it. Would you leave a sufferer from syphilis untreated so as not to embarrass them?
Original post by Good bloke
Rather like having multiple personalities, no ability to empathise, or to remember things you have recently done? They are all conditions that can and should be investigated and treated where possible. These people suffer disproportionately from other mental conditions, too, including anxiety, suicidal tendencies, depression and eating disorders.

You seem to be more concerned with removing the stigma of having an illness than with treating it. Would you leave a sufferer from syphilis untreated so as not to embarrass them?

Of course not, please don't put words in my mouth
Of course not, please don't put words in my mouth

Then why do you argue they are not suffering from a medical condition. Has the trans lobby convinced you it is entirely normal to believe one is of the opposite sex?

Being male is not a sexual orientation, though I suspect the lobby would like you to believe it is. It does not prevent you from having sexual relations with or being attracted to men or women.

If I suffered from a condition that meant I could not go outside my home through fear or anxiety I would hope to be treated for it, and taught to face the problem, not encouraged and facilitated to spend the rest of my life cooped up, and told that I was normal. The same applies here.
Reply 108
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Not in 10 years' time.

You'll need to clarify something for me; are you advocating that 'transphobia' should be counted as extremism or are you saying this is the sad way society is heading?
Western society is dead.
Imagine if the teacher was of a more protected denomination than Christian, the kind of confusion this would have brought. "Who do you side with?".
Original post by Robby2312
I'm not a trans lobbyist.Its called not being a bully.I don't know where you got the idea that only one confirmed trans teen committed suicide.Suicide is actually very high amongst lgbt youth.Its 3 times higher than the general population.And its even higher for trans people.

And yet you use the same tactics they do. Gaslighting 101, been used by men since forever.

And regarding suicides, google it. It’s a survey, and it’s attempted, it’s shameless you being misused by TRAs. Go find me a figure for actual suicides, I think you’ll be surprised.
(edited 6 years ago)
I hope the teacher wins a hefty compensation for the crap he's had to endure and team up with Peterson et al. in fighting against this idiocy.
I understand where you're coming from, especially with the help given by the NHS, but surely classifying it as a mental illness means it's something that's inherently wrong with the individual? I'm not saying it's a belief or a choice, either, because it's definitely not and no one would choose to feel like that. I'm not trying to be insensitive btw it's a genuine question :smile:

Why do you keep equating mental illness with wrong? That’s super rude to people with mental illnesses.
Why do you keep equating mental illness with wrong? That’s super rude to people with mental illnesses.

I'm not??
Original post by LaMandarine
Western society is dead.

Yay!

You what? There's nothing wrong with people with mental illnesses? All in their heads is it?
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Not in 10 years' time.

Hell. It'll be quicker than that.
I'm not??

You are. Even doing it unconsciously, you still are.
You said -and I quote you verbatim- "surely classifying it as a mental illness means it's something that's inherently wrong with the individual".

I suffer from mental illness, and I'm triggered by such bigotry :frown:

Original post by anarchism101
"King of Nigeria" isn't an identity, it's a (hypothetical) political office.

And this is how their own arguments turn against themselves. They press that their identities should be acknowledged, on the(ir) grounds that identities are fluid, and nobody should decide or enforce what identity they are allowed to have. Who are you to decide what identity that user wants to have? The whole point of identities being fluid is that there are no fixed identities that you can quantify.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LaMandarine
You are. Even doing it unconsciously, you still are.
You said -and I quote you verbatim- "surely classifying it as a mental illness means it's something that's inherently wrong with the individual".

I suffer from mental illness, and I'm triggered by such bigotry :frown:

What is an illness if not something wrong with the individual?
Original post by the beer
What is an illness if not something wrong with the individual?

I'm assuming you didn't get my sarcasm. The author of the quote tried to be a little pc and it backfired back at her.

Some people are getting ***triggered*** at others who see transgenderism as a mental illness, because they feel classing it as such can be degrading for the individual. Consequently, people wanting to be PC about this matter, are saying that we should be careful how we deal with transgender people, for suggesting that it might be a mental illness can be demeaning on them.

So, leaving the joke aside, as a person dealing with manic depression, transgenders who get offended by it are saying that being classed as such would delegitimise themselves, or demean themselves. So in their words (that they use to protect themselves), my mental illness makes me less of a person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending