Someone please look over this "An Inspector Calls" essay Watch

NIko Kobl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need your help to check my gcse essay for An Inspector Calls

------------------------------------

Conflict is sometimes caused by pressure and the author understands that as there is a lot of tension between some of the characters like Mr Birling and the Inspector. In An Inspector calls conflict is the main part of the play.

As soon as the Inspector is brought into the play, the old part of the Birling family is Trying to show their superiority over the inspector. “My husband was lord Mayor” - says Mrs Birling interpreting that if the inspector is not careful with what he says it will cost him trouble or even worth him his job. The inspector doesn't quite react to that as he knows his “job” and he knows what he is allowed and not allowed to do. At the start of the play Mr Birling had a speech about how a man meant to keep to himself and care only about himself and his family which we don't believe as he has spoken about things like titanic being unsinkable and he said that the is not going to be any WW2. And that confirmed that it isn’t quite wise to listen to Mr B. Later on in the play when Eva Smith is brought into the conversation Mr Birling says - “A girl of that sort” interpreting that because of the “nice” job which she got she became “spoiled” and started to want more and more which meant that he had to kick her out and he confirms that the problem is in the class by saying “sort” from the quote!

Both Birling and Inspector Goole make speeches within the play, showing their philosophies on this matter of social responsibility. The difference between the views of the two is very distinct and even more pointed out by Priestley during the play. “Public men have responsibilities” - says The Inspector. That quote pressures Mr Birling as in that part of the play he already understood his place and he doesn’t answer, but Eric and Gerald who have heard Mr Birling's speech start to learn that he isn’t as clever after all, resulting in no more comments from them till the end of the interrogation. When Gerald suggests that the Inspector was not real, Mr and Mrs Birling are over the moon that they could be 'off the hook'. However, Sheila and Eric are convinced that even if the Inspector was not real and a girl didn’t die, they still behaved badly and should change their ways.

Mr Birling disrespects Eric throughout the play as he wants to show himself as a "heavy-looking, rather portentous man in his middle fifties but rather provincial in his speech." who is straight minded and only cares about his business with disregard about any youth and only his own selfishness. Later in the play Eric confirmed the theory by a quote “She treated me as if I was a kid.”. Priestley tries to make us understand that in 1945’s the younger you were, the less respect you would get as even if you were over 18 and confirmed as an adult you would still be called
a “kid” by everybody else older than you. This is always explained as disregard of youth as they aren’t the kind of class to earn money, so all of the money they get is from their parents as it is then said by Mr Birling - “...you are spoiled!” interpreting that Eric shouldn’t have his own.The Inspector teaches a number of lessons about how we should be responsible for each other.

In fact Edna was a girl, which was very popular to have a woman cleaner at the time, as in 1945’s gender was unbalanced and unrespected. "...not only something to make 'em look prettier - but - well, a sort of sign or token of their self-respect." - said Mr Birling interpreting that women has only to care about herself and her household as men do all of the hard work. Using words like “...token of their self-respect." says that women only shown of in front of herself and other families. Gerald also talks about this in the play when he refers to “...hard-eyed dough-faced women.". By that he means that only thing that interests the man in a woman is the outside appearance and not the mind and interests!Mr Birling is very patronising about women, claiming that they couldn’t organise a proper strike and makes sweeping statements about how they love clothes.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
dclayson
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NIko Kobl)

Conflict is sometimes caused by pressure and the author understands that as there is a lot of tension between some of the characters like Mr Birling and the Inspector. In An Inspector calls conflict is the main part of the play.

As soon as the Inspector is brought into the play, the old part of the Birling family is Trying to show their superiority over the inspector. “My husband was lord Mayor” - says Mrs Birling interpreting that if the inspector is not careful with what he says it will cost him trouble or even worth him his job. The inspector doesn't quite react to that as he knows his “job” and he knows what he is allowed and not allowed to do. At the start of the play Mr Birling had a speech about how a man meant to keep to himself and care only about himself and his family which we don't believe as he has spoken about things like titanic being unsinkable and he said that the is not going to be any WW2. And that confirmed that it isn’t quite wise to listen to Mr B. Later on in the play when Eva Smith is brought into the conversation Mr Birling says - “A girl of that sort” interpreting that because of the “nice” job which she got she became “spoiled” and started to want more and more which meant that he had to kick her out and he confirms that the problem is in the class by saying “sort” from the quote!

Both Birling and Inspector Goole make speeches within the play, showing their philosophies on this matter of social responsibility. The difference between the views of the two is very distinct and even more pointed out by Priestley during the play. “Public men have responsibilities” - says The Inspector. That quote pressures Mr Birling as in that part of the play he already understood his place and he doesn’t answer, but Eric and Gerald who have heard Mr Birling's speech start to learn that he isn’t as clever after all, resulting in no more comments from them till the end of the interrogation. When Gerald suggests that the Inspector was not real, Mr and Mrs Birling are over the moon that they could be 'off the hook'. However, Sheila and Eric are convinced that even if the Inspector was not real and a girl didn’t die, they still behaved badly and should change their ways.

Mr Birling disrespects Eric throughout the play as he wants to show himself as a "heavy-looking, rather portentous man in his middle fifties but rather provincial in his speech." who is straight minded and only cares about his business with disregard about any youth and only his own selfishness. Later in the play Eric confirmed the theory by a quote “She treated me as if I was a kid.”. Priestley tries to make us understand that in 1945’s the younger you were, the less respect you would get as even if you were over 18 and confirmed as an adult you would still be called
a “kid” by everybody else older than you. This is always explained as disregard of youth as they aren’t the kind of class to earn money, so all of the money they get is from their parents as it is then said by Mr Birling - “...you are spoiled!” interpreting that Eric shouldn’t have his own.The Inspector teaches a number of lessons about how we should be responsible for each other.

In fact Edna was a girl, which was very popular to have a woman cleaner at the time, as in 1945’s gender was unbalanced and unrespected. "...not only something to make 'em look prettier - but - well, a sort of sign or token of their self-respect." - said Mr Birling interpreting that women has only to care about herself and her household as men do all of the hard work. Using words like “...token of their self-respect." says that women only shown of in front of herself and other families. Gerald also talks about this in the play when he refers to “...hard-eyed dough-faced women.". By that he means that only thing that interests the man in a woman is the outside appearance and not the mind and interests!Mr Birling is very patronising about women, claiming that they couldn’t organise a proper strike and makes sweeping statements about how they love clothes.
Seems like a decent essay to me. I would say that you need to include more contextual information and proofread to check that sentences are 100% clear for the examiner when they mark your response
HisMajesty_Kwabz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree with the above poster! And maybe also use a paragraph structure like Point, Evidence, Explanation and Link to show full understanding of the text, as well as your personal interpretation of it?
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And that confirmed that it isn’t quite wise to listen to Mr B. Later on in the play when Eva Smith is brought into the conversation Mr Birling says - “A girl of that sort” interpreting that because of the “nice” job which she got she became “spoiled” and started to want more and more which meant that he had to kick her out and he confirms that the problem is in the class by saying “sort” from the quote!
overall, your essay is pretty good; however you could expand on this point a little eg. use context like the above posters said. mr birling's stigma towards people of the lower class was a reflection of upper class people's attitudes in 1912, talk about what mr birling was like at the end of the play; does it show anything?
thenbhd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Particularly at the beginning of the essay, it seems more like an re-explanation of the quote instead of analysis. I would maybe try and focus in on a quote and go into some in depth analysis. Make sure to keep referring to the question and link your points back to the question. In the question the words tension, pressure and conflict are quite key. Try selecting scenes that relate well to these e.g how the inspector puts pressure on each of the characters and how this in turn leads to conflict between them, but also an internal conflict of views and emotions, particularly in the case of Sheila who battles against her upbringing and her family's capitalistic views. The end of the play is definitely a great scene to use for tension; the Birling family and Gerald seem calm when they think the inspector isn't real - then the phone rings.

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (68)
15.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (81)
18.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.12%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (132)
30.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed