bellanicole94
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,

Just wanted to see what other peoples' perspectives were on OCR MEI mark schemes...

When I was doing practice papers (past papers), I would check the mark schemes and get almost full marks, which didn't happen for the real exam. I have looked at my original scripts and it looks like i got all of the questions correct, just perhaps not left in the right form or to the correct decimal place etc (accuracy).

So, I suppose my question is - are OCR MEI very strict on things like that as a general rule? (Perhaps, compared to other exam boards)

Thanks.
JaredzzC
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can't speak for other exam boards but I can for OCR MEI.
They are quite strict, but that should be normal and I'm sure it's like that for all other examining bodies as well.

If you haven't left an answer in the correct form then you essentially haven't answered the question fully and thus shouldn't be awarded the full marks.
In terms of answers with decimals, I've found that they do tend to accept answers that are rounded or the original answer.

It's also important to note that if you're answering follow-on questions which require you to use an answer you've worked out from previous questions, then you'll need to use the exact answer, as opposed to the rounded answer because this will produce a different result.

Overall though, I don't believe they're doing things too differently in comparison to other examining bodies with regards to what answers they allow.
I'm personally not a fan of OCR MEI though, mainly because of the coursework in C3 - although I've grown to like it - and the dreaded, god-awful C4 Comprehension....
bellanicole94
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Yes, I understand what you're saying and agree that if the answer isn't in the "correct form" then essentially you've not reached every mark.

So, I suppose if you're not especially attentive to little details like that and don't prioritise the form of your final answer then you will lose marks even though you have the question answered correctly. Therefore, even someone who only achieves a grade C is still very competent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (64)
12.08%
Virtual campus tours/open days (128)
24.15%
Live streaming events (46)
8.68%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.81%
A uni comparison tool (123)
23.21%
An in-person event when available (117)
22.08%