The Student Room Group

GCSE examination boards 1992-1993

Hi! I need to replace or at least get verification of my GCSE's obtained in 92-93.I have contacted my school and they say that they have no record of the examining bodies! Anyone help me out here? I've seen people mention contacting AQA, OCR etc but AQA want 43.00 just to check whether they hold my results or not. I took my GCSE's in the Slough area! Thanks in advance!
Unless you can find your certificates, you have to go through the exam boards, You probably would've taken a mix of exam boards as well, so you may have to contact many anyway.
Original post by A_person123
Unless you can find your certificates, you have to go through the exam boards, You probably would've taken a mix of exam boards as well, so you may have to contact many anyway.

I'm aware of that.....I'm asking if anyone knows who they might be? lol
Original post by Bangkok matt
Hi! I need to replace or at least get verification of my GCSE's obtained in 92-93.I have contacted my school and they say that they have no record of the examining bodies! Anyone help me out here? I've seen people mention contacting AQA, OCR etc but AQA want 43.00 just to check whether they hold my results or not. I took my GCSE's in the Slough area! Thanks in advance!

Can't they ask staff? I keep all the past papers and would know for my school.
Reply 4
The local council will have an educational section that may be able to help you. Also check out the local library as they may have newspaper reports or the like from that era to help your research.

A few years ago I did a class with a lady who lost all her certificates in a house fire and sadly she ended up redoing the qualifications.
Original post by Muttley79
Can't they ask staff? I keep all the past papers and would know for my school.

This was the reply "I am really sorry there is nobody working here now that was here in 1992. Unfortunately I am the exams officer but the school does not have that information on file.

The current boards are; Edexcel/Pearson, OCR, AQA & WJEC. However, I am unable to identify which boards supported each subject as they do not always remain the same.

I regret that I am unable to assist you."So obviously not! :frown:
This was the reply "I am really sorry there is nobody working here now that was here in 1992. Unfortunately I am the exams officer but the school does not have that information on file.

The current boards are; Edexcel/Pearson, OCR, AQA & WJEC. However, I am unable to identify which boards supported each subject as they do not always remain the same.

Are there no electronic records? There should be archive material from that far back - I can't believe a school would not have any records. I've had to look for stuff for students who were at school before that and there is always something. I'd make an appointment and pursue this.
Reply 7

Not sure about WJEC (but it's the Welsh Board so probably not relevant) but none of the others existed under those names in 1992/3 If you look at this link https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate/if-your-old-exam-board-no-longer-existsyou might recognise some of the exam board names in use then so you could try them first
Reply 8
It’s highly likely you did a mix of exam boards. Nowadays OCR, Edexcel and AQA are the main ones - contact the cheapest ones first and work through!

What you did will have depended entirely on your school - there are 3 high schools in my town and all of them do different boards for each subject (except sciences which are all AQA).
(edited 6 years ago)
I live in Bangkok, so that's not a possibility for me.
If they're not going to help for whatever reason then I have no other hope than to try to find out for myself somehow.

It's things such as this that made me leave the UK in the first place.
Seems like nobody is able to / can be bothered to do their jobs correctly these days. Everyone just wants an easy life.
I live in Bangkok, so that's not a possibility for me.
If they're not going to help for whatever reason then I have no other hope than to try to find out for myself somehow.

It's things such as this that made me leave the UK in the first place.
Seems like nobody is able to / can be bothered to do their jobs correctly these days. Everyone just wants an easy life.

You should listen to what Compost says because they are an exam officers. Muttley as well.

Imo the school will know you just havent talked to the correct people. Even if they dont keep formal recors, there will be someone who will remember the main boards used.

Talk to the exam officer there first. Be helpful and polite. At least find out if there are any older teachers there and what the current exam boards being used are. they may have stuck with the same one.

The other way is to talk to/ find out an ex pupil and ask them to id what exam board certificates they have.
Original post by 999tigger
Imo the school will know you just havent talked to the correct people. Even if they dont keep formal recors, there will be someone who will remember the main boards used.

I doubt they will - these GCSEs were taken 25 years ago and, even if anyone is still there, they'd probably only remember (at most) the board they taught but not necessarily when and not what else was going on. If the school hasn't kept records (and they're not required to - some places get a bit trigger happy over data protection and destroy them after 7 years) then the OP's only real option is to try the 3 English exam boards: AQA, Edexcel and OCR.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
Are there no electronic records? There should be archive material from that far back - I can't believe a school would not have any records. I've had to look for stuff for students who were at school before that and there is always something. I'd make an appointment and pursue this.

I also dont believe nobody in the school knows. He's just talking to the wrong people or using the wrong approach.

Btw he appears to be in Bangkok.
Hi there, I’m currently in the same situation as you and I’m intrigued if you found a solution to this as it is 2 years on?Many thanks Rachel
Original post by Rachbell6767
Hi there, I’m currently in the same situation as you and I’m intrigued if you found a solution to this as it is 2 years on?Many thanks Rachel

See post 12. It's still true.
https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate
(edited 3 years ago)
In case you're still looking, the GCSEs that I took in 1992/3 were from the Southern Examining Group (SEG), Midlands Examining Group (MEG), and University of London Examinations and Assessment Council (ULEAC).
SEG included the Associated Examining Board, and the Oxford School Examinations Board. MEG included the East Midlands Regional Examinations Board, Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board, The West Midlands Examinations Board, and University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate.
Whew!
Anyway, I hope that's helpful to somebody!

Regards, Louise
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
I second that very useful reply from Louise. I found my certificates and when I did my GCSEs in 1992 in Reading, all the subjects were from the following boards - SEG, ULEAC and MEG.

Quick Reply

Latest