The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by So-Sarah
Isis, Iran, North Korea, Putin, stuff going down in the ME, other terror groups, unforseen happenings etc.., serioulsy, what good would peacnik Jezza be then

Proportionate action would be taken but perish the thought of someone trying democracy first. No we haven't forgotten the Tories' standing ovation for Hillary Benn as he demanded bombs to fall on Syria.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ben.anderson
This is a very interesting question. While I'm personally a conservative voter. I think JC has been incredible getting young people interested in politics, which has not been seen in years.

The problem is while JC gets the rallies and puts on the great campaigns. He's struggling to attract the average middle-wage earning family and of course the rich, who don't often go out to rallies as they have families etc.. which makes Theresa May look bad when she has about 5 people around her when campaigning.

A centrist labour did attract the middle wage earners in 1997, which is how I believe they won. The only problem with the center is that its accosicated with the now unpopular Tony Blair, and that has benefited JC.

Others may disagree but in the current climate, I believe a David Milliband led centrist labour party would win a majority by at least 40/50 seats. So personally I think they would poll higher at the moment if they were more centrist.

Centrist Labour would lose my middle class vote overnight because it would return to Tory-lite. I don't want a lighter shade of blue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Corbyn is too much of a pacifist, and people don't want this kind of weakness right now, due to all the threats out there

I have mentioned before that Corbyn's defence and foreign policy are more problematic than his economic policy.

Traditional blue collar types generally want a strong military and are pro-war.
Original post by Arran90
I have mentioned before that Corbyn's defence and foreign policy are more problematic than his economic policy.

Traditional blue collar types generally want a strong military and are pro-war.

Traditional blue collar types are not pro war.

Corbyn’s biggest weakness is his visible hatred for nationalism and his love of ‘diversity’.

If say Farage adopted Corbyn’s Economic outlook and scrapped trident the working class could certainly get behind that.
The real working class British folk love our armed forces and back them to the hilt in a time of war. It's the intellectual Guardian reading Labour voters from comfortably well off backgrounds who join CND marches and demonstrations against the war in Iraq. If you asked the real working class British folk what we should do about ISIS and Islamic terrorism then the answer will probably be in the territory of nuke Syria and Mecca.

So-Sarah is right that the public do not want a pacifist with all the threats out there - real, perceived, or grossly exaggerated by the Daily Mail. Even the Green Party has openly admitted to me that their pacifist stance and support of military cutbacks has cost them a significant amount of support at the ballot box since 9/11. The war in Iraq was one thing but ISIS is another.
Original post by Davij038

If say Farage adopted Corbyn’s Economic outlook and scrapped trident the working class could certainly get behind that.

:lolwut:

Farage and UKIP already do this (ignoring leaving us defenceless against mother Russia). Hence the 300million for the NHS bus.

Scrapping trident is for commies.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

And for fascists 👍😂

Oh yeah i tryed tagging you in this but it wouldn’t work

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5117406
(edited 6 years ago)
The question relating to Trident is exactly which enemy it will be used against? In the Cold War era the answer was simple - the communist Soviet Union, a nation itself armed with nukes. Is Trident still primarily a weapon against Russia or is it to fight Islamic terrorism? Is it even an effective weapon against Islamic terrorism?
Original post by Davij038
And for fascists 👍😂

Since when?

Don't you remember the red button face men from that Corbyn TV debate when he said he wouldn't nuke North Korea? Middle aged fat bloke that thinks he lived through World War gets a hard on over the UK having some missiles of mass destruction. That will show Towel Head a thing or two.

Also nukes are for commies. It's just its only the commies who should have them :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Except of course, real commmies are actually pro-nuke, ie. China and SU

and what are u on about with UKip , they do want to keep Trident, it's in their last manifesto
Except of course, real commmies are actually pro-nuke, ie. China and SU

and what are u on about with UKip , they do want to keep Trident, it's in their last manifesto

Stalanists and pro Soviet commies generally didn't want the west to have nukes as they were on the side of the Soviet Union. Or if they did want them, like French commies used to, it was to defend themselves from the USA.

Also I was role playing as a right wing working class brit. They view commies as someone who is a traitor, who would want to sell out the country by giving up trident.

I said UKIP want to keep trident.
Original post by Arran90
The real working class British folk love our armed forces and back them to the hilt in a time of war. It's the intellectual Guardian reading Labour voters from comfortably well off backgrounds who join CND marches and demonstrations against the war in Iraq. If you asked the real working class British folk what we should do about ISIS and Islamic terrorism then the answer will probably be in the territory of nuke Syria and Mecca.

So-Sarah is right that the public do not want a pacifist with all the threats out there - real, perceived, or grossly exaggerated by the Daily Mail. Even the Green Party has openly admitted to me that their pacifist stance and support of military cutbacks has cost them a significant amount of support at the ballot box since 9/11. The war in Iraq was one thing but ISIS is another.

The real working class British folk are used as cannon fodder in pointless conflicts and interventions by politicians. In return are long statements praising them for their valour to create the impression it's all for a just cause. Our right wing papers then do a sterling job of convincing them to vote against their own self interest because Jerry's probably a Trot and Mother Theresa knows best. Despite her looking visibly uncomfortable in the presence of ordinary people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Labour have nothing to offer working folk other than mass immigration and refugee handouts
Labour have nothing to offer working folk other than mass immigration and refugee handouts

The unpatriotic anti-British anti-English nature of Corbyn and Momentum is difficult to stomach but a larger than expected number of people voted Labour in 2017 and it's where a significant part of the UKIP vote went as well.

I was talking to some Muslims who were very critical of Corbyn and they said that something needs to be done to show that Corbyn is an illusion and a delusion that if he gains power then Muslims won't like it. The end of Islamic schools will just be for starters and the party will continue to support Israel.
a lot of Labour and UKip just won't vote Tory , regardless of their Brexit views - that I can understand
If UKIP redefined their strategy and appealed to blue collar types whilst exposing Corbyn as a potential fraud and con artist then they could prevent a Labour victory in 2022 and help ensure that we have a fairly hard Brexit. By 2027 Corbyn will probably be too old for PM.
They don’t need to change policy, IMO that would Ben harmful for them.

They need to pick a brexit stance, unite the party and of course they need a more charismatic leader. Someone who is aggressive in debate and naturally gives sound bites.

JC was the sweet old man but he can’t give a speech to save his life.

Latest

Trending

Trending