How prestigious is the university of Edinburgh? Watch

This discussion is closed.
transient life
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Course: History & Politics

How prestigious is the University of Edinburgh compared to other universities in the U.K.?

Which universities would you say are more prestigious than Edinburgh in the U.K.? Please name them if possible.

Also how prestigious is university of Glasgow and Lancaster? I am confused because in international rankings Edinburgh is 5th place after Oxbridge, imperial, UCL and LSE. However in domestic rankings it is in 23rd place after Manchester university (which isn't seen as a good uni in my country) whereas Lancaster is in 9th place and Glasgow within the top 20.

I got rejected from Oxford this year (it was a long shot anyway and I know myself I wanted ready as I had just recovered from mental illness and only two months prior got back into education) and I'm adamant in re-applying next year whilst attending a university. I might go into adjustment if it turns out Edinburgh isn't all that it is made out to be in my country.

Please refrain from telling me I shouldn't choose university based on other things etc as I'm an international student and I'd rather spend money on a prestigious university than go somewhere I'll have better social life. As it costs a lot for an international student and it's not worth it to pay for a university for half of which money I can use to pay for a local university which is the top in my country.

The_Lonely_Goatherd (I got referred to you by another user here 🙂)
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Haha, I'm not the best person to ask about these things

Generally speaking, I'd personally assume that (of the three unis you've mentioned) it goes Edinburgh, Glasgow, Lancaster in terms of prestige (highest being Edinburgh by quite some way, imho). I think that's how it would broadly be seen in the rest of the UK too. I've personally never heard Lancaster being described as "prestigious" but I don't know anything about it as a uni to comment.

Different university rankings tend to measure different things: some put a huge emphasis on student satisfaction ratings for example. Whereas not all unis take part in such ranking procedures. So you have to take university rankings with a pinch of salt to an extent.

EDIT: Just read the bit about mental illness. I'd look into disability provisions at each uni and what they can offer you as an international student. That ought to be a big factor in any decision making :yes:
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by transient life)

How prestigious is the University of Edinburgh compared to other universities in the U.K.?

Which universities would you say are more prestigious than Edinburgh in the U.K.? Please name them if possible.

Also how prestigious is university of Glasgow and Lancaster? I am confused because in international rankings Edinburgh is 5th place after Oxbridge, imperial, UCL and LSE. However in domestic rankings it is in 23rd place after Manchester university (which isn't seen as a good uni in my country) whereas Lancaster is in 9th place and Glasgow within the top 20.

I got rejected from Oxford this year (it was a long shot anyway and I know myself I wanted ready as I had just recovered from mental illness and only two months prior got back into education) and I'm adamant in re-applying next year whilst attending a university. I might go into adjustment if it turns out Edinburgh isn't all that it is made out to be in my country.

Please refrain from telling me I shouldn't choose university based on other things etc as I'm an international student and I'd rather spend money on a prestigious university than go somewhere I'll have better social life. As it costs a lot for an international student and it's not worth it to pay for a university for half of which money I can use to pay for a local university which is the top in my country.

If you are determined to reapply to Oxford, there is no point in attending anywhere else in the meantime. It just costs you an extra year of international fees, because you can't transfer into the second year at Oxford.

As to 'prestige' it depends what you mean. All the universities you mention have a good profile in the UK and turn out competent employable graduates. If you mean, is a graduate from university 'x' in a better position to get a good job in your country than a graduate from university 'y' - we don't know. We don't know which country you are coming from, or which sector you plan to work in. Only you can decide what prestige amounts to in your context.

I would add, though, that League tables - any league tables - do not tell the full story, and vary a great deal because they all measure slightly different things, or the same things but in different ways. There is also considerable variation depending on which course you are interested in. In the end, what really matters is whether the course content interests you and plays to your strengths, as well as challenging you to break new ground. A course may be 'prestigious' but if it is boring or delivered in a way that does not work for you, you are not going to do as well. Certainly in the UK the classification of your degree matters a lot, perhaps more than the ranking of the university that awarded it.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago

I don't disagree with what the other posters have said above. I think what Minerva says about course content is particularly relevant, you need to enjoy your degree (and social life is important too, don't underestimate it) - a diploma from a prestigious university is not going to be worth much anywhere if you get a bad grade, and you're much more likely to get a bad grade if you don't enjoy your course.

To answer your question, Edinburgh does have a very good reputation in the UK, and arguably an even better one abroad - particularly in the United States. Of course rankings are not everything, but I can understand wanting as much cachet as possible, if I was paying international fees I'd do the same.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you want to do after uni? Where do you want to work? What industry? How well will Edinburgh fit in with those ambitions?

Trying to rank universities based on 'prestige' is impossible (and meaningless). What if someone else posts here saying 'Edinburgh is rubbish, you should go to Essex' or 'I went LSBU it was brilliant' etc. Would you value their opinions?
maths_tripos23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Edinburgh has a phenomenal reputation in the UK and Europe and internationally it's one of the only non-oxbridge UK universities that people know about. Edinburgh is very prestigious...you need 3 A's on A levels to get in, some courses require A*AA. For direct entry it's even higher. The university was founded in 1583 and is easily a top 7 UK university. Also domestic rankings put Edinburgh down due to student satisfaction but international rankings and times higher rankings put Edinburgh in the top 6 in Europe and the UK. Charles Darwin to Edinburgh University.
Reformed2010
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

The University of Edinburgh is, like Imperial and UCL, second only to Oxbridge. With the third largest endowment of any university in the United Kingdom and third-oldest English speaking University in the world. It is ranked top 50 in all four global rankings (the QS World 2019, THE World 2019, ARWU World 2018 and CWTS Leiden 2018). 23 Nobel Prize winners, 2 Turing Award winners, 1 Abel Prize winner, 1 Fields Medal winner, 2 Pulitzer Prize winners, 3 Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom, 2 currently-sitting UK Supreme Court Justices

In summary, It's prestigious.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%