The Student Room Group

Learning Piano

Currently at university studying law so I just have a few questions:

1) How much would it cost to have a decent 88 key keyboard?
2) How long will it take to be at a decent standard?
3) Is it doable on my own in conjunction with my studies? Will it be a good distraction in between studying (have 2 exams and 2 pieces of coursework to be doing/preparing for over Christmas) or too much of a distraction and unwise to do whilst I have other work?
I think it's definitely worth it, as a pianist myself it's great to be able to just sit at the piano every now and then, and to break up studying.
you can get really cheap ones, which I'd advise if you'd only be doing it as a hobby, and especially since you're a student.
it really depends on how frequently you play as to how long it will take to be able to play well, but I'd say within 4 or 5 months you'd probably be doing alright
Reply 2
Original post by chloepalmer
I think it's definitely worth it, as a pianist myself it's great to be able to just sit at the piano every now and then, and to break up studying.
you can get really cheap ones, which I'd advise if you'd only be doing it as a hobby, and especially since you're a student.
it really depends on how frequently you play as to how long it will take to be able to play well, but I'd say within 4 or 5 months you'd probably be doing alright

Thanks a lot :smile:
What about learning whilst having to study also? Do you think it would take up too much concentrations, away from studying or a good balance?
Any recommendations on what to buy also?
Reply 3
Bump
I think it would be fine, because if you just have a keyboard in your room, if you ever have any spare time, you can play for 10 minutes, and it would be a great break from studying.
as far as what you should get, I really don't know, but as I said, don't fork out a load of money, maybe even get a second hand one, as long as it still functions you'll be fine
Reply 5
Still a bit much for me 😂 will try and bag a bargain after Xmas haha
In terms of recommendations for suitable keyboards, might I recommend the Yamaha EZ-220? I'm currently in the process of learning the keyboard, and it's the one I ended up buying. I don't know if Acsel's suggestion has this as well, but the EZ-220 has some really great features which are targeted specifically for learners who are absolute beginners, such as a built-in lesson function, built-in chord dictionary and a built-in song library which includes a great number of the most well-known classical piano pieces ever composed. The keyboard also features keys that light up as well, which makes the whole thing so much easier.

I think this model may be slightly less expensive than the one Acsel suggested, as well. I know mine certainly was. I hope I've been of some help.
Reply 7
1) hmm if you have a look around you can pick up a good second-hand keyboard for around £80-£100, probably even less if you know how to look properly.

2) that depends on what route you want to take? do you just want to learn some songs and play for fun or would like to play it professionally? either way, I think its always best to just start by playing your favourite songs then going from there, I learn about 2-3 songs a month and I play for 5-7 hours a week but I like going over them again and again. I'm only starting to learn the more professional side of things like keys which should never be played together, which combinations work well, how to read music, etc. I used to have a keyboard with keys that light up and it was much easier and quicker to learn and you could upload custom songs through the MIDI thing but those keyboards cost considerably more and it kinda feels like cheating, you don't get the same satisfaction as you would otherwise

3) I think it's great for your mind, it helps reduce stress, it definitely releases the good chemicals in your brain. I've never heard of someone handing in an assignment late because they played too much piano lol its pretty easy to step away from it. Once you start getting into it you'll find that making time for it is harder than spending too much time on it.
Reply 8
Original post by Lessen by Lesson
In terms of recommendations for suitable keyboards, might I recommend the Yamaha EZ-220? I'm currently in the process of learning the keyboard, and it's the one I ended up buying. I don't know if Acsel's suggestion has this as well, but the EZ-220 has some really great features which are targeted specifically for learners who are absolute beginners, such as a built-in lesson function, built-in chord dictionary and a built-in song library which includes a great number of the most well-known classical piano pieces ever composed. The keyboard also features keys that light up as well, which makes the whole thing so much easier.

I think this model may be slightly less expensive than the one Acsel suggested, as well. I know mine certainly was. I hope I've been of some help.

Original post by Zxyn
1) hmm if you have a look around you can pick up a good second-hand keyboard for around £80-£100, probably even less if you know how to look properly.

2) that depends on what route you want to take? do you just want to learn some songs and play for fun or would like to play it professionally? either way, I think its always best to just start by playing your favourite songs then going from there, I learn about 2-3 songs a month and I play for 5-7 hours a week but I like going over them again and again. I'm only starting to learn the more professional side of things like keys which should never be played together, which combinations work well, how to read music, etc. I used to have a keyboard with keys that light up and it was much easier and quicker to learn and you could upload custom songs through the MIDI thing but those keyboards cost considerably more and it kinda feels like cheating, you don't get the same satisfaction as you would otherwise

3) I think it's great for your mind, it helps reduce stress, it definitely releases the good chemicals in your brain. I've never heard of someone handing in an assignment late because they played too much piano lol its pretty easy to step away from it. Once you start getting into it you'll find that making time for it is harder than spending too much time on it.

Many thanks, very helpful. Will try and find something secondhand and affordable in conjunction with praying

Quick Reply