JFrost12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently studying the Education module in Sociology and I am struggling to revise and recall key information (eg. Sociologists, Educational policies, internal and external factors). I have preliminary exams two weeks after we go back to school next term, and I am in major need of good revision tools, tips and advice to help me achieve above my target grade (C-, although I am currently working at an A* in class). I have tried different methods which I know of, eg. mind maps and index cards, but these are not helping. Has anyone got any good suggestions to help me out with this? Anything is much appreciated!!
neha_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JFrost12)
I am currently studying the Education module in Sociology and I am struggling to revise and recall key information (eg. Sociologists, Educational policies, internal and external factors). I have preliminary exams two weeks after we go back to school next term, and I am in major need of good revision tools, tips and advice to help me achieve above my target grade (C-, although I am currently working at an A* in class). I have tried different methods which I know of, eg. mind maps and index cards, but these are not helping. Has anyone got any good suggestions to help me out with this? Anything is much appreciated!!
Hey is this for a level or gcse?
I make summary sheets of each topic e.g like gender differences
I also make lists of all the theorists for each topic like each bit
JFrost12
Rep:
?
This for A Level and I am with AQA. Do you do A4 summary sheets on each topic?
3mmz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I personally made notes
I got the text book...read it and condense it into just basic phrases so I can memorise

Like for example for girls doing better at school than boys I would just write for example

Coursework - girls tend to be better organised which gives them an advantaged in coursework related subjects...

That way I would remember everything
JFrost12
Rep:
?
Thank you! I'll try this
neha_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes to sum it up but i make notes first and I've been doing flash cards.
JFrost12
Rep:
?
Okay, thank you very much!
username3315892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I achieved A grades in Education/ Families and households and the methods that I used to revise was;

1) Create a pages of notes, case studies and theorists, so from your revision guide or textbook or online material- whatever you want. With this however, I'd use pictures, colours and numbers to link things. So i used green for Marxism because it makes me think of money or a small alphabet cube to symbolise education for every time I would write it. I use this like in the first 2 months of revision making and reading.

2) I would rewrite the case studies on a separate sheet. Draw pictures beside each one and try to condense the information a little at a time. I would use this in the last month of revision. I only note the case studies because i can elaborate the theories from that.

3) Lastly which is SO HELPFUL, is to create a final piece of paper with the case studies and few words and block them into topics.

E.g:

Case study name (few words).... etc

Class

Case study name (few words)
Case study name (few words).... etc

Its long but it'll get you there
JFrost12
Rep:
?
Thank you so much! This is really helpful, I will try these ways of revising for the remainder of Sixth Form!
alelfiya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
play games!
JFrost12
Rep:
?
Is there any you can suggest or websites that do quizzes?
neha_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is there any you can suggest or websites that do quizzes?
I've never been one much for mind maps and quizzes but recently I had my education mock, paper 1 for a level.

I used quizlet as a way at the end after making mind maps to just go through it again.
Its really helpful.
imfromjamalia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys, in case you wanted a sociology website with all the notes for every sociology topic ranging from AS to A2, I have attached the link below.
This is a website that I created with my own personal notes that I had typed up last year when I took the sociology exams.
I hope that many of you can benefit from my website and increase your grades, just like I did Image

https://aqasociologyrevisionblog.wordpre ss.com
JFrost12
Rep:
?
This is really helpful! Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads