How many times should you repeat the same past paper?

Watch
username3025666
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rubydiamond3131)
As many times a you want or feel will be useful. For some modules (Maths in particular) I've repeated past papers more than 10x until most methods were drilled into my head. A lot of questions are constantly repeated at A-level so I just ended up memorising the pattern and managed to get close to 100% for a few exams.
username3025666
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
As many times a you want or feel will be useful. For some modules (Maths in particular) I've repeated past papers more than 10x until most methods were drilled into my head. A lot of questions are constantly repeated at A-level so I just ended up memorising the pattern and managed to get close to 100% for a few exams.

Thank you very much, that is very helpful.
Have you done Maths A level?
I am currently doing Maths A level (year 13)
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
Thank you very much, that is very helpful.
Have you done Maths A level?
I am currently doing Maths A level (year 13)
Yes I have and I'm currently doing it at uni.
username3025666
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
Yes I have and I'm currently doing it at uni.
Did you just do lots of past papers for Maths to succeed...Do you have any advise/resources recommendations to do well in A level Maths. I struggled a bit during AS and I am retaking CORE 1 and CORE 2 modules.
dclayson
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Personally, I would complete the same past paper twice (for multiple choice and short answer subjects). Once as a first attempt; then use the mark scheme to see how many marks you got and the grade achieved (if applicable) then correct your answers using the mark scheme- ask someone such as your teacher if you are still not sure what the mark scheme means or how to get the marks. I would then after a few weeks or even months complete the same past paper again and mark it and make a note of the topic areas which you didnt get any/all of the marks in. Then revise these topics or ask your teacher to help you with them and redo those questions. Re-doing the same questions that you have already got full marks on is not much use because you already know what to do.

For long answer subjects, such as English Literature, I would complete each paper once (without time limits) and then get someone to mark it and give you feedback. Then reflecting on your feedback complete the exam in timed conditions and ask someone to mark it for you. After a few attempts without time limits start to set yourself time limits gradually getting towards the amount of time that you will actually get in the exam

Hope this helps
username3025666
Rep:
?
(Original post by dclayson)
Personally, I would complete the same past paper twice (for multiple choice and short answer subjects). Once as a first attempt; then use the mark scheme to see how many marks you got and the grade achieved (if applicable) then correct your answers using the mark scheme- ask someone such as your teacher if you are still not sure what the mark scheme means or how to get the marks. I would then after a few weeks or even months complete the same past paper again and mark it and make a note of the topic areas which you didnt get any/all of the marks in. Then revise these topics or ask your teacher to help you with them and redo those questions. Re-doing the same questions that you have already got full marks on is not much use because you already know what to do.

For long answer subjects, such as English Literature, I would complete each paper once (without time limits) and then get someone to mark it and give you feedback. Then reflecting on your feedback complete the exam in timed conditions and ask someone to mark it for you. After a few attempts without time limits start to set yourself time limits gradually getting towards the amount of time that you will actually get in the exam

Hope this helps

Hi,

Thank you so much for your advice, it is really helpful!
username3025666
Rep:
?
Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion.
Yes, I definitely agree because I do not want to run out of papers before my real exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads