Grades required for CompSci at Cambridge

Watch
noobdog
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I currently take 4 AS subjects, however I would like to drop one of the B subjects to focus on getting 3 As. I want to drop Physics because I find it generally a bit of a slog and use the time gained to raise biology to an A.
I am currently predicted for AS level:
Physics - B
Maths - A
CompSci - A
Biology - B

What I want:
CompSci - A
Maths - A
Biology - A

Would these grades be good enough to apply for a place in Cambridge?
I have had a lot of people say that taking biology is strange with the rest of my choices, however I am interested in modelling biological systems using computers so I kinda want to keep it. Do you think these grades will be fine?
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by noobdog)
I currently take 4 AS subjects, however I would like to drop one of the B subjects to focus on getting 3 As. I want to drop Physics because I find it generally a bit of a slog and use the time gained to raise biology to an A.
I am currently predicted for AS level:
Physics - B
Maths - A
CompSci - A
Biology - B

What I want:
CompSci - A
Maths - A
Biology - A

Would these grades be good enough to apply for a place in Cambridge?
I have had a lot of people say that taking biology is strange with the rest of my choices, however I am interested in modelling biological systems using computers so I kinda want to keep it. Do you think these grades will be fine?
They require A*A*A according to the link below. Could be a bit of a stretch, you'd need to put in a lot of effort.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....mputer-science
noobdog
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
They require A*A*A according to the link below. Could be a bit of a stretch, you'd need to put in a lot of effort.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....mputer-science
That is for A level, I was talking about applying during AS
Zurlon
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You apply to Cambridge with predicted grades that your teachers will give you based mostly off of your results in your AS year. Are you working at A* standard in two of your subjects now?

I am pretty sure Physics looks much better than Biology for a CompSci application, as it is more evidence that you can apply mathematical techniques (important since you aren't doing Further Maths).Your application would be at its strongest with Maths and Computer Science as the two A*s, and Physics as the A.

Also, did your school offer Further Maths?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (48)
28.92%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.43%
No I am happy with my choice (92)
55.42%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.23%

Watched Threads