The Student Room Group

REGRET my choice of University and degree. Now what?

Hi there.

I am at the end of the first semester of my fourth and final year studying Politics at the University of Bath.

Recently, I realised a few things: I have not enjoyed my experience of University, I regret my choice of degree, and I don’t expect I will be able to compete in the job market after I leave University.

I do not feel at place in the corporate-campus culture. I don’t feel myself around the friends I’ve made. I’ve completely lost interest in the original issue/career path that originally made me choose Politics. The degree itself, and the placement year, has been for the most part uninspiring.

It’s my fault too. I never fully committed myself to a society. I didn’t venture outside of the first friend group I formed once I formed it. I didn’t read as much as I could have. I didn’t seek out opportunities to be creative, or have a life outside of the course.

Broadly, these four years of my life have been thoroughly underwhelming. The truth is I have been in denial about many things: that I never really cared for my degree, that I didn’t belong at this university, that the friends I chose aren’t the friends I want, that I haven’t a clue what I’m going to do with this degree once I leave.

I can’t see myself being happy in any political career. Where I really want to be working is the film industry. I’ll be 22 when I graduate. For me to decide to change career path entirely will effectively mean writing off these four years of my life as a waste, beyond learning some important life lessons. It will also involve a brutally frank conversation with my parents (who have funded my HE), who have until now assumed 1) I’ve been enjoying myself 2) I have a plan.

My thinking is that trying to build up some experience to compete in the corporate/political job market is going to take just as much time and effort as starting a career in film-making (production or set design) would, which I where I know I really belong.

Have a seriously set myself back in life? Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone feel the same way?

Thank you.
Original post by RichardJones1
Hi there.

Have a seriously set myself back in life? Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone feel the same way?

Thank you.

You're certainly not alone in that you didn't enjoy university. I didn't particularly "enjoy" the experience either and towards the end I also started to hate my degree but I didn't regret picking it though because I did have some genuine interest in it.

If your career ambition is to be in the film industry then start small and work your way up. Learn about the industry, perhaps buy a high quality camera and start filming yourself/whatever things you like, gain an aptitude for it. Try to also find roles/experience that match up to your particular ambitions of course it might not be easy but don't give up. Do what your heart wants and I hope that you can find happiness once you realise your true potential :smile:
Reply 2
Hi there.

I am at the end of the first semester of my fourth and final year studying Politics at the University of Bath.

Recently, I realised a few things: I have not enjoyed my experience of University, I regret my choice of degree, and I don’t expect I will be able to compete in the job market after I leave University.

I do not feel at place in the corporate-campus culture. I don’t feel myself around the friends I’ve made. I’ve completely lost interest in the original issue/career path that originally made me choose Politics. The degree itself, and the placement year, has been for the most part uninspiring.

It’s my fault too. I never fully committed myself to a society. I didn’t venture outside of the first friend group I formed once I formed it. I didn’t read as much as I could have. I didn’t seek out opportunities to be creative, or have a life outside of the course.

Broadly, these four years of my life have been thoroughly underwhelming. The truth is I have been in denial about many things: that I never really cared for my degree, that I didn’t belong at this university, that the friends I chose aren’t the friends I want, that I haven’t a clue what I’m going to do with this degree once I leave.

I can’t see myself being happy in any political career. Where I really want to be working is the film industry. I’ll be 22 when I graduate. For me to decide to change career path entirely will effectively mean writing off these four years of my life as a waste, beyond learning some important life lessons. It will also involve a brutally frank conversation with my parents (who have funded my HE), who have until now assumed 1) I’ve been enjoying myself 2) I have a plan.

My thinking is that trying to build up some experience to compete in the corporate/political job market is going to take just as much time and effort as starting a career in film-making (production or set design) would, which I where I know I really belong.

Thank you.

There's a website called my first job in film, provides internships and jobs for this looking for a job within the film industry. They also provide CV advice when you join their group on Facebook as well. Hope it helps
Hi there.

Thank you.

Personally, I think its amazing when people have 'realizations' about what they really want to do. Some people get it before uni (the luckiest of them all!) Some during, some after graduating, some many years down the line. I think now that you have decided and felt comfortable and happy about what you really want to do, you've made an amazing step! We all long for that moment. The fact that you got this realisation later than most shouldnt deter you from embarking on a plan to turn this into a reality.

I think what you are forgetting is that many degrees out there are not vocational, Politics being one of them. (Law which I am studying is also one of them, since you can do more than just become a lawyer). Think of Chemistry, Geography, History, Maths, languages - what do these graduates do? The answer is many things. What we take from uni degrees is essentially the skills set. Law = ability to research/write/form arguments/work under pressure etc. Chemistry = strong mathematical skills, practical work, teamwork, logical thinking etc. You, provided you finish your degree (which you should do!) will have 4 years of politics to talk about, and for sure you must have gained skills from a course like that at Bath. Dont think that you wasted 4 years - you didnt waste any years. Its a terrible feeling when you feel that way and very difficult to confront, but I think one day when you find a career that you are happy with, you'll be glad that you took the route you did (from one degree to a completely new profession in the film industry).

Bottom line is
You studied a respectable subject in a good uni and will hopefully graduate this year with a degree.
You will graduate with a career plan, even if its completely knew, when others will graduate and have no idea what to do. I'm talking about film because honestly I dont think you seem happy with the thought of a political/corporate career (as a law student honestly theres no way I would want to work in the corporate world).
You realised what you dont want to do (politics) and you'll only be 22. Meaning you have qualifications, a sense of direction, a sense of what you dont want to do and plenty of time to put your new plan into action!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi Richard,

Firstly, congratulations on reaching your final year of uni I hope it goes OK! I just wanted to reassure you that you’re not the only university student who feels this way. Stick at it for the remaining few semesters and feel proud that you will graduate with a prestigious degree in Politics.

A large majority of our Filmmaking Diploma students are university graduates who have decided they want to enter the film industry but need a quick intense course to get them trained as a multi-skilled filmmaker.

If you’re interested, the Filmmaking Diploma is a 9-month, one day per week course accredited by the International Moving Image Society and trains you in all aspects of filmmaking, so you learn the craft of film to get a job in the industry. Here is some further info about it and if you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch: https://brightonfilmschool.co.uk/courses/long-courses/filmmaking-diploma/

Otherwise, best of luck with your final year and if you would like any advice about taking your first steps in the film industry, please don’t hesitate to ask 😊

Holly

Hi there.

Thank you.
Reply 5
Understanding Politics will influence your filmmaking and is a very good background to have. Don't view the last few years as a waste. Ken Loach, who happens to live in Bath, was inspired to make the films he does as a result of seeing the arrogance and privilege at Oxford. His degree was in 'Jurisprudence' (the theory or philosophy of law) and he's a subversive. I'd say get the best mark you can for your degree then form a plan with your parents for your next step. Good luck.
Hi there.

Thank you.

Just wondering if there is any follow-up, I'm really interested in if you decided to do something about getting into the film industry, or did something else.

Latest

Trending

Trending