Second year student but want to change course

Watch this thread
chwieun
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently a second year student and it's been halfway through the year already but I want to change courses since I hate my current one so much, it doesn't suit me at all after going through this year so far.

I have to start from first year again if I want to switch, and I'm not sure how the funding works at this point. I know you only get an extra year of funding plus the number of years the course has (in this case, 3 years for me) and since I've pretty much used up 2 years already, does it mean I have to self-fund for my final year? I've been trying to contact SF but they haven't got to me yet.

The next tuition fee loan comes in Feb which is in just under 2 months time and I don't see the point paying the uni for my second semester if I don't wanna do it anymore. Since mine is a private institution as well I'd be paying £600 out of my own pocket for nothing. Is there a way to put the fees on halt (as stupid as it sounds) or anything like that or would I have to just carry on my current course and finish it, and then reapply?

Thank you x
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chwieun)
I'm currently a second year student and it's been halfway through the year already but I want to change courses since I hate my current one so much, it doesn't suit me at all after going through this year so far.

I have to start from first year again if I want to switch, and I'm not sure how the funding works at this point. I know you only get an extra year of funding plus the number of years the course has (in this case, 3 years for me) and since I've pretty much used up 2 years already, does it mean I have to self-fund for my final year? I've been trying to contact SF but they haven't got to me yet.

The next tuition fee loan comes in Feb which is in just under 2 months time and I don't see the point paying the uni for my second semester if I don't wanna do it anymore. Since mine is a private institution as well I'd be paying £600 out of my own pocket for nothing. Is there a way to put the fees on halt (as stupid as it sounds) or anything like that or would I have to just carry on my current course and finish it, and then reapply?

Thank you x
If you start a new full time course in first year then your first year would be unfunded (SFE always withold funding at the start). That means you wouldn’t get a tuition fee loan. You would still be able to get a living costs loan. Depending on your university sometimes it is possible to get the tuition fees for that first year reduced to help you.

If you’re sure that you don’t want to continue with your current course then you need to speak to your current university about withdrawing (and what fees/funding you will get at different withdrawal dates). If you leave partway through a year then you’ll normally only be charged partial fees for the year (which are normally all covered by student finance) and your living costs loan payments stop. SFE then calculate if you received living costs loan for the weeks after you’ve withdrawn and will arrange with you directly to repay that “overpayment”. The majority of the loan payment you have received will only need to be repaid if you earn over £21k.

What course are you thinking of swapping to (and what are you studying at the moment?). There might be other option available to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.6%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.85%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.75%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed