Turn on thread page Beta

Columbia ED (Early Decision) Applicants from UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi just wondered if there's anyone out there who applied to Columbia University for early decision from the UK... decisions out in two days, but yeah

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you must be committed to go ED and you know the ED inside track to improve your acceptance odds. Good on you, well ahead of the curve of most UK applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    Wow, you must be committed to go ED and you know the ED inside track to improve your acceptance odds. Good on you, well ahead of the curve of most UK applicants.
    Thanks aha, still not hopeful about getting in, but yeah I'm kinda interested in how many people apply ED to Columbia from the UK in general. Can't be thaaat many.

ReputationRep:
    I checked TSR threads from previous years for US Ivy. Though many applied to Ivy and top 20 schools, very few went the ED route. Most just did the regular cycle. But the ED acceptance rate of 19% is so much better than overall of 7%. Why Columbia ED, you must really like it cearly.

What are your other options for regular decision, if C does not work out?

(Original post by jbrew)
    Thanks aha, still not hopeful about getting in, but yeah I'm kinda interested in how many people apply ED to Columbia from the UK in general. Can't be thaaat many.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    hey, I am looking to apply to american university next year. Do you have any tips on SATs?

ReputationRep:
    I checked TSR threads from previous years for US Ivy. Though many applied to Ivy and top 20 schools, very few went the ED route. Most just did the regular cycle. But the ED acceptance rate of 19% is so much better than overall of 7%. Why Columbia ED, you must really like it cearly.

What are your other options for regular decision, if C does not work out?
    Ahh ok. Thanks for the info. I just really like Columbia as I've visited quite a few times (my uncle and aunt work there) and it seems like a really cool environment to study in for four years. The core curriculum also suits me well I think/hope

I may not do regular. I applied to UCAS too, so may just go to a UK school if (probably when) Columbia doesn't work out. But if I do apply, I think I'll go for reaches like Brown, or maybe Northwestern? Not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohit301099)
    hey, I am looking to apply to american university next year. Do you have any tips on SATs?
    Hi! I did ACTs, so not really sure about the SATs, but at least for ACTs, just doing looooaaads of practice papers is what helped me the most. There are also lots of good resources online. I used prepscholar a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Having relatives working at Col makes sense as you visited the campus. It is beautiful. I am such a nerd, when I was at NYC I visited Columbia and NYU campuses.
    Brown is def very popular among Brits, particularly public school applicants with a Liberal Arts preference. Most have only good things to say about Brown.

ReputationRep:
    Having relatives working at Col makes sense as you visited the campus. It is beautiful. I am such a nerd, when I was at NYC I visited Columbia and NYU campuses.
    Brown is def very popular among Brits, particularly public school applicants with a Liberal Arts preference. Most have only good things to say about Brown.
    yess the campus is lovely! Going would be such an extraordinary experience, though I really highly doubt I'll make it. So much stress!

Brown is also really pretty and relaxed, visited over summer.

ReputationRep:
    Did I anyone get in?? I did !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bant_bus)
    Did I anyone get in?? I did !
    Same! Congrats!!!! See you in NY are you in the fb group?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbrew)
    Same! Congrats!!!! See you in NY are you in the fb group?
    Lmao hi Joseph looool. You know who I am haha

Meme page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1006815496091821/
    And crushes page: https://www.facebook.com/Columbia-Cr...6440029459484/

Loool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bant_bus)
    Lmao hi Joseph looool. You know who I am haha

Meme page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1006815496091821/
    And crushes page: https://www.facebook.com/Columbia-Cr...6440029459484/

Loool
    oh lol hii still congrats again haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbrew)
    oh lol hii still congrats again haha.
    Well done. I am so happy for you.

ReputationRep:
    Well done. I am so happy for you.
    Thanks!! Shocked but thrilled about it to be honest

ReputationRep:
    Hope Columbia will come through with its FinAid package for you to make funding work.

(Original post by jbrew)
    Thanks!! Shocked but thrilled about it to be honest

ReputationRep:
    Hope Columbia will come through with its FinAid package for you to make funding work.
    Yes! I have full aid, thankfully!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm also an ED Columbia admittee from the UK with financial aid - super excited and can't wait for the fall!

Applying early does not improve a normal applicant's acceptance chances - they are basically the same. It's the athletes and legacies (who have admissions rates ranging between 25 and 35% for most Ivies) heavily skewing the rates and making it seem easier for everyone else. Yes, you read that right - Legacy students are ~6 times as likely to get into Princeton than the average student. Unfortunately, us non-athletes/legacies have to face not only the super early deadline but also the ~5% admissions rate of Columbia ((

The only way ED helps you in the process is that you have a second shot at getting in the RD round if ED doesn't work out. But don't take it from me! Take it from the President of Harvard: I'm paraphrasing haha but he said that if you get rejected in the Regular round, 99.9% of the time you would have also been rejected in the Early round if you had applied. The quality of the students is exactly the same. (damn I really wish I found the exact quote!!)

Remember, data can always say what you want it to say, so try to dig to the roots of a piece of data before making a decision based on it. Something to think about for those Early applications!

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.