The Student Room Group

Democrat wins in Alabama! Political earthquake!

There has been a political earthquake tonight; a Democrat has won in a statewide race in the South, for election of one of the two Alabama members of the US senate. That hasn't happened since 1992 (and that senator who won in 1992 changed his party affiliation to Republican). For a Democrat to win a senate race in a state where Trump won 2/3rds of the vote only one year ago is massive.

What is remarkable is that this wasn't merely a case of Republicans switching their votes; Democrats won in large part by organising massive turnout in urban areas. This shows that the Democratic Party can win in the south.

Of course, all the Trumpkins will be coming out with their excuses, like "Moore only lost because he's a pedophile". Yup, a pedophile you supported.

Trump pulled out all the stops for Moore, and Alabamians, one of the most solidly Republican states in the union, has told him, "No thanks, dotard".

The alt-right has fractured, and with this win, it looks likely the Democrats will take congress next year.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:beer:
Original post by Sabertooth
:beer:

This is absolutely magnificent news :smile: Truly wonderful.

Furthermore, Roy Moore won't merely disappear off the stage. He will be a millstone the Democrats will hang around Trump's neck; Trump supported a credibly-accused pedophile
Great news 😌
Reply 4
It’s the dems new technique accuse all there opponents of being pedos, it will take 2 seconds and these accusations will be dropped and the dems will repeat next time.
Original post by joecphillips
It’s the dems new technique accuse all there opponents of being pedos

Somebody call the burn ward, the pedo-apologist was triggered :lol:
Reply 6
Original post by AlexanderHam
Somebody call the burn ward, the pedo-apologist was triggered :lol:

You raped me.

Does that accusation make you a rapist? By your logic you are.
You raped me.

Does that accusation make you a rapist? By your logic you are.

If you can bring out eight victims and sixty corroborating witnesses, then people would be absolutely justified in concluding I was.

Just be honest, no matter how strong the evidence you will defend Moore to the death, no matter how much you are discredited.
Reply 8
If you can bring out eight victims and sixty corroborating witnesses, then people would be absolutely justified in concluding I was.

Just be honest, no matter how strong the evidence you will defend Moore to the death, no matter how much you are discredited.

No I won’t, you see I will criticise criminals but you would never criticise anyone on your side of politics.

I’ve criticised trump in the past for his actions have you ever criticised anybody you have supported? I think you were a Hillary supporter did you criticise her for what by your standards is enabling a rapist?
This brings the GOP's majority in the Senate down to two.

Also increases Trump's streak of backing losers to 3 - Strange, Gillespie, and now Moore.

I wonder if he'll delete his Tweet from just yesterday strongly supporting Moore, or if he'll disavow him when he finds out he lost!
Donald Trump's Twitter 12/12:

The people of Alabama will do the right thing. Doug Jones is Pro-Abortion, weak on Crime, Military and Illegal Immigration, Bad for Gun Owners and Veterans and against the WALL. Jones is a Pelosi/Schumer Puppet. Roy Moore will always vote with us. VOTE ROY MOORE!
Moore also made headlines when his campaign spokesman said that Muslims can't be elected to Congress because they can't swear on the Christian Bible.

His wife then rebutted accusations of anti-Semitism by proudly informing an audience of supporters that their attorney was "a Jew".

And this is before you get to Moore's (alleged, but corroborated) sexual history with children.

Also important to note the Republican leaders that stuck by Moore despite the above. They should not be allowed to emerge from this without a stain on their conscience and record.
(edited 6 years ago)
No I won’t, you see I will criticise criminals but you would never criticise anyone on your side of politics.

Laughable claim. I'm can't stand Corbyn and have repeatedly attacked him for his connections with Hamas, Hezbollah and IRA. I criticism Islamism all the time and have been called 'Islamophobe'. I have spoken out against identity politics on the left.

Roy Moore is a degenerate, an objectively obnoxious candidate. No-one who isn't a tribal right-wing partisan or religious extremist would support him
It’s the dems new technique accuse all there opponents of being pedos, it will take 2 seconds and these accusations will be dropped and the dems will repeat next time.

Voters actually claimed that the allegations were unimportant in their decision.
You can't have it both ways - either you will have to admit that conservative voters don't actually condone pedophilia, or you will need to say the allegations didn't actually matter to too many of those voters. You can look at a very conservative state voting against him and still say they support him despite the allegations.
Original post by Palmyra
This brings the GOP's majority in the Senate down to two.

Also increases Trump's streak of backing losers to 3 - Strange, Gillespie, and now Moore.

I wonder if he'll delete his Tweet from just yesterday strongly supporting Moore, or if he'll disavow him when he finds out he lost!

His Excellency actually has tweeted a very dignified and presidential and professional tweet:

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 1h1 hour agoMoreCongratulations to Doug Jones on a hard fought victory. The write-in votes played a very big factor, but a win is a win. The people of Alabama are great, and the Republicans will have another shot at this seat in a very short period of time. It never ends!
Reply 15
Laughable claim. I'm can't stand Corbyn and have repeatedly attacked him for his connections with Hamas, Hezbollah and IRA. I criticism Islamism all the time and have been called 'Islamophobe'. I have spoken out against identity politics on the left.

Roy Moore is a degenerate, an objectively obnoxious candidate. No-one who isn't a tribal right-wing partisan or religious extremist would support him

Someone who believes in innocent until proven guilty could
I just realized Secretary Jeff Sessions won 795,606 votes/97.25% in the 2014 election. What a drop to Judge Moore's 650,436 votes/48.4%. In 2008, then-Senator Sessions won 63.26%, but with 1,305,383 votes.
Reply 17
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Voters actually claimed that the allegations were unimportant in their decision.

It doesn’t have to influence a lot of people around 1.56% of voters and according to msnbc 40% think it’s an important factor.
The result makes a lot of sense considering:

1, Trumps ability to blow of scandals, and win regardless of bad press seems to be fairly unique, and not transferable to other republicans
2, The democrats had a huge wake-up call after the election, and are doing a very good job of mobilizing and pushing the needle back in their direction.

I think we are likely to see the republicans have increasing problems. They will have to deal with all of the negative association given by the trump presidency, but they won't have candidates like trump who have the ability to push through it, and turn it to their advantage. Which for all trumps problems, he did spectacularly well throughout the presidential race.. anything thrown at him was turned around and sent the other way.
There has been a political earthquake tonight; a Democrat has won in a statewide race in the South, for election of one of the two Alabama members of the US senate. That hasn't happened since 1992 (and that senator who won in 1992 changed his party affiliation to Republican). For a Democrat to win a senate race in a state where Trump won 2/3rds of the vote only one year ago is massive.

What is remarkable is that this wasn't merely a case of Republicans switching their votes; Democrats won in large part by organising massive turnout in urban areas. This shows that the Democratic Party can win in the south.

Of course, all the Trumpkins will be coming out with their excuses, like "Moore only lost because he's a pedophile". Yup, a pedophile you supported.

Trump pulled out all the stops for Moore, and Alabamians, one of the most solidly Republican states in the union, has told him, "No thanks, dotard".

The alt-right has fractured, and with this win, it looks likely the Democrats will take congress next year.

Amazing! That's the 5th most Republican state!

I also heard that it makes it much more likely that the Democrats will win control of the Senate in 2018. If they can win there, they will fancy their chances anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest