Transferring university during a gap year?

Watch
LeahM20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone

I finished sixth form this year and got my A Level results, already holding an unconditional place for Aberystwyth university that was given to me in March.

So whilst completing my ucas application with the intention of starting in September this year (2017) I was dead set on going to Aberystwyth because my place was secure there and I loved the uni.

However after receiving my A level results I decided to defer my entry to 2018 and take a gap year for personal reasons, still intending on going to Aberystwyth next year.

Due to a change in personal circumstances I have decided that it would be more beneficial for me to stay at home and study at a local university (Keele, Staffordshire or Derbyshire) as I need to be at home but am still 100% committed to starting my Psychology Criminology degree.

My problem is that I don’t know where to start, who to get in touch with first and most of all of this is even possible? Will I need to go through ucas all over again? Complete another personal statement and everything else? My biggest problem is that because I was given an unconditional offer before even sitting my A level exams, I flunked my exams and came out with grades much lower than what I’d have needed to get into uni without the unconditional. 😩

Would it be possible to still start university this September 2018 at a local university and compromise by completing a foundation year for the course?

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated as I’m very stressed with the situation at the moment. Thank you!!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LeahM20)
Hi everyone

I finished sixth form this year and got my A Level results, already holding an unconditional place for Aberystwyth university that was given to me in March.

So whilst completing my ucas application with the intention of starting in September this year (2017) I was dead set on going to Aberystwyth because my place was secure there and I loved the uni.

However after receiving my A level results I decided to defer my entry to 2018 and take a gap year for personal reasons, still intending on going to Aberystwyth next year.

Due to a change in personal circumstances I have decided that it would be more beneficial for me to stay at home and study at a local university (Keele, Staffordshire or Derbyshire) as I need to be at home but am still 100% committed to starting my Psychology Criminology degree.

My problem is that I don’t know where to start, who to get in touch with first and most of all of this is even possible? Will I need to go through ucas all over again? Complete another personal statement and everything else? My biggest problem is that because I was given an unconditional offer before even sitting my A level exams, I flunked my exams and came out with grades much lower than what I’d have needed to get into uni without the unconditional. 😩

Would it be possible to still start university this September 2018 at a local university and compromise by completing a foundation year for the course?

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated as I’m very stressed with the situation at the moment. Thank you!!
You will need to apply all over again. It's not a transfer as you never started at Aberystwyth. Contact your old school asap to see if they will be helpful in providing a reference.

As for your A-levels, while I'm not getting at you personally, this is a salutory lesson for everyone reading this post regarding the impact of not trying in exams because of having an unconditional offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (61)
22.1%
Excited but a bit nervous (126)
45.65%
Not bothered either way (36)
13.04%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed