Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    White people are more likely to be found carrying drugs when stopped and searched, new research indicates.

HM Inspectorate of Constabulary finds black people are eight times more likely to be searched, even though drugs are less likely to be found.

Read the full story here

What do you make of this? Are you surprised? Should the police change their approach to stop and search?

ReputationRep:
    Old. News.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I don't think this is particularly surprising in the sense of the bias being well published already. They definitely need to change how they proceed with stop and searches though, as the current system is a bit ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually seen anyone be stopped and searched in the street, is it more a London thing??

ReputationRep:
    I thought we all knew this.

ReputationRep:
    search me

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Black people still comit more crime,this justifies the stoping and searching.

ReputationRep:
    Most white people I knew in college claimed to be a stoner or ket-head. The police would have had a field trip stop and searching around there.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    A clear case of conflation of two unrelated statistics. Are people stopped and searched with the sole intention of finding illegal drugs? I don't think so. Why is the drug find statistic being used to criticise the rate of searches of black people?

Maybe the searches of black people are primarily unrelated to drugs, and guns, knives, stolen goods or evidence of other crimes are being sought. We are not told. One thing is for certain, the preponderance of black people in gaols is not being fed by searches that don't reveal evidence of wrongdoing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    White people are more likely to be found carrying drugs when stopped and searched, new research indicates.

HM Inspectorate of Constabulary finds black people are eight times more likely to be searched, even though drugs are less likely to be found.

Read the full story here

What do you make of this? Are you surprised? Should the police change their approach to stop and search?
    Hang on, the numbers don't seem to add up.

If the population-at-large were carrying drugs at similar rates, then you'd expect the number of searches to be inversely proportional to the likelihood of drugs being found.

For instance, if the entire black community was searched for drugs, only a tiny percentage would have anything illegal on them. By contrast, if only a few, dodgy-looking, lower class white people were searched, the chances of finding something on them are much, much higher.

However, black people are only 7% less likely to have drugs found on them, despite being searched... 800% more often? That's incredibly disproportionate.

We can't make a proper comparison for the likelihood of different races carrying illegal stuff until the search rate for white people is also increased by 800%.

An additional thought: the one variable that's missing here is the appearance and profile of the targets for stop-and-search, as well as the wider context within which they were stopped. What were they wearing? How were they acting? Did they look like thugs in ways other than just being the wrong skin colour? Without it, we can't make much sense of the statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    I've never actually seen anyone be stopped and searched in the street, is it more a London thing??
    I’ve lived in London for practically my whole life and never seen it either.

As for the OP I don’t think this is particularly surprising. Clearly the searches on white people are more targeted than ‘young black male wearing dark clothes in a poor area’
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Well it matches with the rates of self reported use. :dontknow:

lower class white people
    Do lower class white people use more drugs than higher class white people?

ReputationRep:
    TSR CT is back to what it does best: inciting the inevitable race war that will lay waste to civilisation as we know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the beer)
    Well it matches with the rates of self reported use. :dontknow:
    Which part of my post is this in response to?

Do lower class white people use more drugs than higher class white people?
    Probably. Of the sort that are carried around and smoked or injected on the street, definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Which part of my post is this in response to?

Just your questioning of the results, it's what we would expect to see from the self reported rates of use.

Probably. Of the sort that are carried around and smoked or injected on the street, definitely.
    I'm sure they're more likely to carry drugs on the street and seek out cheaper harder hits but i'm not convinced they're any more likely to commit drugs offenses.

ReputationRep:
    Ludicrious, as a police officer (and any police officer will state exactly the same), we search persons based on reasonable suspicion. Not on skin colour. I police a predominately white area; therefore, most of my stop searches are on white persons.

It's laughable that people think the police drive around, see a black person and think: "Oh, we better search him because he's black." Searches are conducted for a vast variety of reasons; of which, skin colour definitely isn't one.

ReputationRep:
    Just your questioning of the results, it's what we would expect to see from the self reported rates of use.
    What exactly would we expect to see from self-reported rates of use?

I'm sure they're more likely to carry drugs on the street and seek out cheaper harder hits but i'm not convinced they're any more likely to commit drugs offenses.
    I'm not sure as to how your second point is relevant to the discussion at hand.

Even if higher class people are equally likely as poor people to use drugs, there's not much stop-and-search can do about that. Such people are a lot more careful with where they buy and use drugs, they're more likely to be able to drive or afford to be driven, or live in affluent areas (particularly rural ones) where stop-and-search just isn't a thing.

ReputationRep:
    The fact there are far more whites than blacks/asians/etc. might have something to do with it...

ReputationRep:
    What exactly would we expect to see from self-reported rates of use?
    That whites are more likely to be caught in possession if searched.

I'm not sure as to how your second point is relevant to the discussion at hand.
    Yeah, possibly a little off topic, was just picking up on your lower class whites comment.

Even if higher class people are equally likely as poor people to use drugs, there's not much stop-and-search can do about that.
    Quite, stop-and-search is an awful way to deal with drug use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oneocean)
    Ludicrious, as a police officer (and any police officer will state exactly the same), we search persons based on reasonable suspicion. Not on skin colour. I police a predominately white area; therefore, most of my stop searches are on white persons.

It's laughable that people think the police drive around, see a black person and think: "Oh, we better search him because he's black." Searches are conducted for a vast variety of reasons; of which, skin colour definitely isn't one.
    Nice that you are sticking to the party line. It is a well known fact that the Police force has had and continues to have race relation problems. To deny that is a spurious lie.
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...goGGCCjA8-gwEW

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.