AlexSilver
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
That's how my friend described it.
We're at an independent school and he said it's one of the 'least posh' universities and that I'd 'stick out like a sore thumb' and probably find it hard to make friends.

I've found stats which say that 14% of students are privately educated.

Any current students care to comment?
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AlexSilver)
That's how my friend described it.
We're at an independent school and he said it's one of the 'least posh' universities and that I'd 'stick out like a sore thumb' and probably find it hard to make friends.

I've found stats which say that 14% of students are privately educated.

Any current students care to comment?
I mean I have met some very posh people and also some very rich people here. I'm a first year Chemist studying there at the moment.
There are also loads of international students too. Everyone is very pleasant though.

Why is this an issue for you? Do you consider yourself to be posh and therefore feel you will not fit in? If so, don't worry, you will fit in just fine.
KatyaN97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Uni of Southampton are quite up their nose, that is true. But not all of them are posh
AlexSilver
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I don't think I'm posh, but sometimes other people do, just cos I go to a private school
But I guess I do enjoy some of the things that others might think posh, like wearing black tie for a ball, for example.
Does Southampton do any of that stuff, or do I need to go to Durham or Bristol ??!

What's the uni like culturally and politically? Is it very left wing? Are there many music/ arts societies? (I've heard some people say it's very engineering/technology led and not so big in the arts?)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (289)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.21%

Watched Threads