The Student Room Group

University of Tokyo

Hi guys, so I am really interested in going to the university of Tokyo but I don’t know Japanese yet so I have some questions which hopefully someone here will know the answer to!

1. Is there any way that I can learn japanese there before starting my course, while still securing my place at the course?
2. Do they have any learn japanese intensive courses for people who don’t know Japanese yet before actually starting the course?
3. Does the University of Kyoto allow either of the things above?
4. Is the entrance exam in Japanese or English?
5. Is getting in very competitive?

Thanks xx
Hey! I'm Japanese (going to an international school tho) trying to get into a uni in the UK this year... I think I can help you with the questions :smile:

1. Well, you can learn any language at any time using the internet, no? Well, if you come to Japan before the school starts, you can definitely go to a language school (make sure you prepare some money for this!).
2. Yep. For uni of Tokyo, there are actually English program courses that teach all the curriculum in English, and they are more than welcome to have students around the world. Look up 'University of Tokyo English program' and you will find them. They now have courses for environmental studies and Japanese cultural studies. Is this what you want to learn?
3. Uni of Kyoto had a programme for engineering, as far as I remember. Again, if you look up on the internet, you will find it.
4. For the programmes in English, the admission is in English fully.
5. It is pretty competitive, but not THAT competitive as far as I know (Like I am trying to get into LSE but definitely easier than that, tbh)

Other than uni of Tokyo/Kyoto, there are other great unis in Japan which I recommend.
Tokyo: Keio University, Waseda University, Sophia University
Osaka University
Nagoya University

Hope this helps and good luck!
There are two paths for you to be admitted to Tokyo University:
1. PEAK program at Komaba teaches in English and if you can prove your Japanese ability you can take courses in Japanese. You are up against incredibly qualified students who would attend top universities (the program is well known for having many applicants who use it as a safety).
2. International Student Entry - basically you need to prove you academic ability with your nation's official exam + ability of Japanese + pass a subject specific test hosted by the University of Tokyo. This is incredibly competitive and the exam is challenging. Last year for example 40 or so people applied for a bachelors of science and only 3-4 passed the actual exam and gained admissions.

University of Kyoto hasn't quite caught up with encouraging international undergraduates to attend by having English programs.
I strongly suggest that you are open to various options within or outside of Japan.
Hi there, I am Bangladesh and also aiming for Japan! I want to study Computer science but facing the same problem ( I don't know Japanese ) . So, If I enroll myself to PEAK program ( Which only offers JEA and ES), Can I study Computer science after 2 years or so ( after which I guess I will be fluent in Japanese)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending