The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Health Sciences or Natural Sciences (Biology) ?

Hi,

I am looking to start with the open university in the new year (2018) but I am really struggling which course to study out of the two named above.

Is anybody studying either of these course that could provide any insight or advise ?
I think it would depend on what career you want to pursue.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Piña colada
I think it would depend on what career you want to pursue.

Hi. I'm not entirely sure at the minute. I'm wondering if one would lead to more opportunities than the other? Possibly in the NHS
I mean they are both respectable degrees but personally, I would side with the Biology course as it provides a lot of opportunity within the science field. Biology would be heavier on the scientific side of the spectrum. You could teach Biology with the BA Natural science (Biology) Hons.

It might be a good idea to contact the OU directly or call an advice agency to get a second opinion. If you want to work within the NHS perhaps look at local jobs that they are offering and see what degree area they would like.
Original post by Khloeh
Hi,

I am looking to start with the open university in the new year (2018) but I am really struggling which course to study out of the two named above.

Is anybody studying either of these course that could provide any insight or advise ?

I suggest you look carefully at the modules for each degree. As you can see from this picture (see below), there is quite a lot of module overlap between the degrees, but Natural Sciences has more optional modules - meaning you get more choice over what you study. The green indicates modules that are available in both degrees.

Health Sciences is more focused on human biology, whereas Natural Sciences takes a broader approach and allows you to study other aspects of biology. That said, the degrees are so similar that I can't think of a single job that would accept one degree but not the other (including NHS jobs or teaching). In short, do whichever degree you find most interesting - the job opportunities will be the same.

I would side with the Biology course as it provides a lot of opportunity within the science field.

And Health Sciences doesn't? :erm:

Biology would be heavier on the scientific side of the spectrum. You could teach Biology with the BA Natural science (Biology) Hons.

This is incorrect - you could teach biology with either degree.
Reply 5
Original post by Snufkin
I suggest you look carefully at the modules for each degree. As you can see from this picture (see below), there is quite a lot of module overlap between the degrees, but Natural Sciences has more optional modules - meaning you get more choice over what you study. The green indicates modules that are available in both degrees.

Health Sciences is more focused on human biology, whereas Natural Sciences takes a broader approach and allows you to study other aspects of biology. That said, the degrees are so similar that I can't think of a single job that would accept one degree but not the other (including NHS jobs or teaching). In short, do whichever degree you find most interesting - the job opportunities will be the same.

And Health Sciences doesn't? :erm:

This is incorrect - you could teach biology with either degree.

Thank you Snufkin for such a detailed response. This is very helpful :smile:
Reply 6
Hello! So strange because i am struggling with the exact same thing! I was wondering which one would be the best option to study and then go on to do a course in Dietetics? Any thoughts :smile:
Original post by LJHESLOP
Hello! So strange because i am struggling with the exact same thing! I was wondering which one would be the best option to study and then go on to do a course in Dietetics? Any thoughts :smile:

Ask universities who offer dietetics and see what their view would be? The degrees are basically the same just with more variety available in Nat Sci. If they accept one I would imagine they would accept the other.

Quick Reply

Latest