osmosis and potato chips Watch

This discussion is closed.
londongirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
i am doing this coursework and i was just wonder how the width of the potato cylinders would affect the changes in mass and length? also, if i had some potato cylinders which were 2cm and some which were 4cm, which set would be more likely to increase in length or mass after the investigation? and anyone have any ideas of roughly what percentage?

this is all for pleminary work.
Dynamite
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by londongirl)
i am doing this coursework and i was just wonder how the width of the potato cylinders would affect the changes in mass and length? also, if i had some potato cylinders which were 2cm and some which were 4cm, which set would be more likely to increase in length or mass after the investigation? and anyone have any ideas of roughly what percentage?

this is all for pleminary work.
4cm.........greater surface area for osmosis to take place over. Although it would all depend on concentration of solution.
CharleeB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
that experiment is so boring!
londongirl
Rep:
?
ok thanks. yeh i'm going to use different concentrations - 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 and 1M for the pre-test. so would the greater the concentration mean that the bigger the change in mass and length... and even bigger for the 4cm pieces?
CharleeB
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by CharleeB)
that experiment is so boring!

sorry i know thats not helpful, but i had to do it and it was.
Dynamite
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ok thanks. yeh i'm going to use different concentrations - 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 and 1M for the pre-test. so would the greater the concentration mean that the bigger the change in mass and length... and even bigger for the 4cm pieces?
well weak conc will make get bigger and strong make it get smaller.
londongirl
Rep:
?
ok thank you

and i like ur sig
CharleeB
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the more dilute it is the bigger the they will get, but if u put them in the really conc. solution then the smaller they get. you have to plot ure results to see the biggest change, it could be up or down.
Dynamite
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ok thank you

and i like ur sig
thanks! If you need anymore info just ask....i done the experiment twice....at G.C.S.E ( got A*) and AS Level (got A)
londongirl
Rep:
?
i know you said for 4cm it will have more surface area for osmosis to take place.. does this count for the different widths too then as well?
Dynamite
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i know you said for 4cm it will have more surface area for osmosis to take place.. does this count for the different widths too then as well?
yeah, if you want to make it a "fair" test then they must all be the same width!
londongirl
Rep:
?
yeh i know that. i am doing more than one experiment.. one will have different widths - to see what works best.
samd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The go into this experiment in some depth in the CGP Biology Revision Guide. It might come in handy.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?