The Student Room Group

Physics help asap

I would like to call myself intelligent.

I got 3A*s and 9As at GCSE and I am currently getting A*s in computer science and As in maths.

Physics however is a whole new story.

I got 2As at AS and then a big fat C for physics. To make matters worse, I got a D in my AS mock. I couldn't drop it because my school only lets you choose 3 AS.

I don't really understand what I am doing wrong. I've been revising for 7 hours a day ( since I finish college at 12pm for 3 days of the week) I see my friends like once every 2 weeks and have been working super hard since the first day of school (not exaggerating first day of school I was in the library till 8pm), Yet I've just had my mock and I feel like it might be another C.

Is there a way for me to improve, or should I just give up at this point?
It feels like maybe I am just not cut out for Physics A - level, should I even bother trying if there is no way of me getting a good grade? Is it possible/too late for me to get an A at the end of the year?

So many questions and teachers are like "Just work harder". That's what I've been doing since AS.

Seriously considering giving up and letting myself just get an E. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you
How are you revising? practically or just rewriting notes over and over. I'd recommend doing some IsaacPhysics problems. While they can be incredibly difficult they really help you to understand what an exam question is asking you and improved my probl3m solving skills massively.
Original post by Agent007

I don't really understand what I am doing wrong.

Thank you

Working harder will not get you further if you keep repeating the same mistakes. Do you have any examples of where you are losing marks?

Getting a C grade at A-level, does mot mean you are failing, It means you achieved a pass but have not yet mastered the art. The issue is raising your grade. To do that, you need to get a better insight and understanding of the concepts.

I'd suggest You must already know that Physics is all about conceptualising and describing the 'behaviour' of observed phenomenon. The way that behaviour is described, is in the language of mathematics. But that can be as much of a hindrance as a help if the student cannot describe to others in words what concept the maths embodies.

It will be very worthwhile reading beyond the syllabus, not so much trying to answer harder questions (although that will help a great deal), but start by gaining an understanding of what the mathematics is really describing.

For instance, the equation F = ma, is easy to remember, but what does it really mean? Many people simply regurgitate the equation with no further thought. Fine for a C grade, but inadequate if you want that A*.

Where did the equation come from? i.e. Is this the original form or is it a précis of something else? How does this equation relate to momentum, specifically the acceleration part describing change in momentum?

Try answering other peoples questions on TSR, not the part that simply gets a numerical answer, but what the equations mean and what they are trying to describe.

You need to get to a point where you can deconstruct any problem without having to memorise solution steps, but by understanding what concept the question is aimed at demonstrating your understanding and working through from first principles.

Post your questions in the Study Help forum and I'm sure you will get the help you need to better your grades. :smile:

You can do it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ScienceGeek1878
How are you revising? practically or just rewriting notes over and over. I'd recommend doing some IsaacPhysics problems. While they can be incredibly difficult they really help you to understand what an exam question is asking you and improved my probl3m solving skills massively.

Been making notes, flashcards and past papers.
After a past paper I track down the grade I got, the mark I got and the questions I got wrong and revise those topics with my notes, flashcards and textbooks before I attempt another paper.

I've been doing Isaac Physics since AS. I'm not amazing at those questions, but i get around 55% of the questions right on the first try.
I've also recently been reading those Isaac Physics concept/notes thingys. I even bought one of their books.

Is there something I'm missing?
Original post by Agent007
Been making notes, flashcards and past papers.
After a past paper I track down the grade I got, the mark I got and the questions I got wrong and revise those topics with my notes, flashcards and textbooks before I attempt another paper.

I've been doing Isaac Physics since AS. I'm not amazing at those questions, but i get around 55% of the questions right on the first try.
I've also recently been reading those Isaac Physics concept/notes thingys. I even bought one of their books.

Is there something I'm missing?

You seem to be doing the right things, do you have a passion for physics? if so I wouldn't panic I'm sure it will all fall into place!
Reply 5
Original post by uberteknik
Working harder will not get you further if you keep repeating the same mistakes. Do you have any examples of where you are losing marks?

Getting a C grade at A-level, does mot mean you are failing, It means you achieved a pass but have not yet mastered the art. The issue is raising your grade. To do that, you need to get a better insight and understanding of the concepts.

I'd suggest You must already know that Physics is all about conceptualising and describing the 'behaviour' of observed phenomenon. The way that behaviour is described, is in the language of mathematics. But that can be as much of a hindrance as a help if the student cannot describe to others in words what concept the maths embodies.

It will be very worthwhile reading beyond the syllabus, not so much trying to answer harder questions (although that will help a great deal), but start by gaining an understanding of what the mathematics is really describing.

For instance, the equation F = ma, is easy to remember, but what does it really mean? Many people simply regurgitate the equation with no further thought. Fine for a C grade, but inadequate if you want that A*.

Where did the equation come from? i.e. Is this the original form or is it a précis of something else? How does this equation relate to momentum, specifically the acceleration part describing change in momentum?

Try answering other peoples questions on TSR, not the part that simply gets a numerical answer, but what the equations mean and what they are trying to describe.

You need to get to a point where you can deconstruct any problem without having to memorise solution steps, but by understanding what concept the question is aimed at you demonstrating your understanding and working through from first principles.

Post you questions in the Study Help forum and I'm sure you will get the help you need to better your grades. :smile:

You can do it.

Thank you so much. Will do my best!:smile::smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ScienceGeek1878
You seem to be doing the right things, do you have a passion for physics? if so I wouldn't panic I'm sure it will all fall into place!

I actually like physics, since GCSE actually.

I enjoy the topics (apart from electricity yuk) and when I read a textbook and complete the questions, they are actually easy to do. But it feels like text-book questions / online questions and exam-questions are on a completely different league tbh.

Find it interesting to read but im not really IN LOVE with the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest