Are universities compelled to reconsider you if you apply for a different course?

Watch
KateP0776
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I applied for veterinary nursing at a uni I really want to go to, I have above the a levels they require, all the work experience and I messed up in the interview and they didn't give me an offer. I'm desperate to have another shot and I have already contacted them to ask where I went wrong and if they would reconsider and they just said my interview wasn't strong enough. If I apply for veterinary nursing with animal behaviour (obviously an extremely similar course with probably the same interviewers and people checking over the personal statements) do you think they will be kind of required to give me another interview (as I have the grades and work experience and they obviously liked my personal statement before)? Or do you think there's a chance i might slip through the cracks and they won't realise until after the interview and I can try and blow them away?
Thanks
abhinair3004
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think they'll consider it , since they are two different courses (two different UCAS codes?)
Are you applying just to the one uni?
KateP0776
Rep:
?
(Original post by abhinair3004)
I think they'll consider it , since they are two different courses (two different UCAS codes?)
Are you applying just to the one uni?

Hopefully... yes which may seem stupid but I have already been to university for a year doing a different course and this one is close to me and I can't afford to live away again
abhinair3004
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KateP0776)
Hopefully... yes which may seem stupid but I have already been to university for a year doing a different course and this one is close to me and I can't afford to live away again
Check the UCAS codes , if they're different they'll definitely consider it. If not , I doubt it but you might get a seat if you look through Clearing in the same uni considering it's not one of those courses which has a really high demand like Medicine or something
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They will not (and are physically not allowed to) discriminate against you for applying for a different course at the same university. When you are rejected you are rejected from that course only and for that year only, not the university itself as a whole.

They don't blacklist people they've rejected and decide never to consider them again. You would get equal consideration with everyone else who applies in subsequent years, whether it's the same course at a university you've previously applied to or a different course at a university you've previously applied to.
KateP0776
Rep:
?
(Original post by abhinair3004)
Check the UCAS codes , if they're different they'll definitely consider it. If not , I doubt it but you might get a seat if you look through Clearing in the same uni considering it's not one of those courses which has a really high demand like Medicine or something

They are different also nah they definitely don't have spaces through clearing there is loads of demand haha they have 450+ people apply and 66 places per year so I doubt they'll have any in clearing
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you were rejected for one VN course after interview at Bristol then its pointless apply for another VN course there. Its mostly the same course and its essentially the same interview. You dont get two attempts at this.

And if you have used up all your 5 choices, then you cant apply again anyway.
KateP0776
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
If you were rejected for one VN course after interview at Bristol then its pointless apply for another VN course there. Its mostly the same course and its essentially the same interview. You dont get two attempts at this.

And if you have used up all your 5 choices, then you cant apply again anyway.

It's not Bristol but also it's the only university I have applied for so I have 4 spaces left. I don't want to go away to university again so I would be doing a diploma/apprenticeship otherwise, although personally I think this is no where near as good of a route to go if you have the qualifications to do a degree (correct me if I'm wrong)
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Personally I rate the apprenticeship route as being much better than the degree route for veterinary nursing In my experience it is much more hands on and the nurses taking this route are very competent practically.

It's not Bristol but also it's the only university I have applied for so I have 4 spaces left. I don't want to go away to university again so I would be doing a diploma/apprenticeship otherwise, although personally I think this is no where near as good of a route to go if you have the qualifications to do a degree (correct me if I'm wrong)
KateP0776
Rep:
?
(Original post by animalmagic)
Personally I rate the apprenticeship route as being much better than the degree route for veterinary nursing In my experience it is much more hands on and the nurses taking this route are very competent practically.

I understand that part however I just can't see how the qualifications can be so different i.e. needing 5 GCSEs above a c for the apprenticeship and needing a levels for the degree!
What experience is it that you have then? Are you a veterinary nurse? If so did you do the apprenticeship then?
KateP0776
Rep:
?

What I mean by that is how can the apprenticeship be better or even equal if you need way better qualifications to do the degree- even to top up your apprenticeship to a degree it takes 4 years part time so that's at least 2 extra years full time that you're missing out on doing the apprenticeship
Because of this I'm kind of tempted to work and get more work experience and apply for the degree next year.... :/
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, I'm a vet and owned my own practice for 25 years. My experience of the nurses that I employed was that the "on the job" trained ones were usually better nurses than those with a degree. I also employed qualified nurses as practice managers during that time and they were more than capable of running the business. I don't think they were held back by not having a degree.

I understand that part however I just can't see how the qualifications can be so different i.e. needing 5 GCSEs above a c for the apprenticeship and needing a levels for the degree!
What experience is it that you have then? Are you a veterinary nurse? If so did you do the apprenticeship then?
KateP0776
Rep:
?
No, I'm a vet and owned my own practice for 25 years. My experience of the nurses that I employed was that the "on the job" trained ones were usually better nurses than those with a degree. I also employed qualified nurses as practice managers during that time and they were more than capable of running the business. I don't think they were held back by not having a degree.

Okay well that's good to hear thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.38%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.62%

Watched Threads