The Student Room Group

Mocks vs gcse please help ://

ahhh.
How much can I improve, on a general scale.
Achieving 3A*’s, 5 A’s and a B at this point in time (December mocks) - [3 grade 8’s, 5 7’s and a 6].
How much have you guys improved from mocks to GCSE’s if you don’t mind me asking, really really feeling demotivated and things aren’t going very well rn ://
Thank you guys :smile:)

Scroll to see replies

revise and stop stressing out about it , jesus christ
Original post by Jordan_alqs
ahhh.
Achieving 3A*’s, 5 A’s and a B at this point in time (December mocks) - [3 grade 8’s, 5 7’s and a 6].
How much have you guys improved from mocks to GCSE’s if you don’t mind me asking, really really feeling demotivated and things aren’t going very well rn ://

Are you doing 9 GCSE's?
im confused - you got those results and youre stressing????/
Original post by Ray_Shadows
revise and stop stressing out about it , jesus christ

Lmao funny thing is I literally study so much, but I haven’t done so until a few months ago and just want to know how much i could realistically improve, without setting my expectations too high; didn’t think that was an unrealistic thing to ask but hey ho
Original post by Reversed Flash
Are you doing 9 GCSE's?

Yeah plus half a gcse in short course religious studies, school doesn’t offer more than that 🤷🏻*♂️ hahah
Original post by ilhuknown
im confused - you got those results and youre stressing????/

In all honesty, yeah because I really really want to go into dentistry, and the average applicant has quite the number of A*s if ygm, typically 6/7+ and idk but self doubt is really starting to build up 😬
You're doing brilliantly tbh to be getting those grades right now is excellent and if you just continue working hard, practicing what you got wrong etc. you're well on the way to achieving, imo, mostly A*s.

I get the feeling that you're somehow not happy with your mocks and even though many would be, it's fine and just make sure you're revising effectively. Get to know the mark schemes almost off by heart. Look at the subjects you're getting 8s in and apply that technique to your other subjects.

You've still got a long time until your real exams.

Personally, I did quite similarly in my mocks and actual exams. However, I did improve on some: I got 9s in maths and English in the real thing whereas in mocks I got a 7 and two 8s. Remember many exam grades in numbers are new so teachers don't know grade boundaries.
ahhh.

It could be your current revision techniques, what are they, if so how did you revise for this mocks.

Also, how long did you have to revise for them?
Reply 9
3A*’s, 5 A’s and a B were your mock results? They're amazing, don't need to improve :giggle: Are you aiming for 9 A*s?

Spoiler

Original post by niamh787
You're doing brilliantly tbh to be getting those grades right now is excellent and if you just continue working hard, practicing what you got wrong etc. you're well on the way to achieving, imo, mostly A*s.

I get the feeling that you're somehow not happy with your mocks and even though many would be, it's fine and just make sure you're revising effectively. Get to know the mark schemes almost off by heart. Look at the subjects you're getting 8s in and apply that technique to your other subjects.

You've still got a long time until your real exams.

Personally, I did quite similarly in my mocks and actual exams. However, I did improve on some: I got 9s in maths and English in the real thing whereas in mocks I got a 7 and two 8s. Remember many exam grades in numbers are new so teachers don't know grade boundaries.

Thank you sm, it’s great having someone who gets the feeling😬 I attend quite a competitive grammar and quite a few of the students are already achieving majority 9’s and it’s just quite degrading feeling so far behind, but thank you :smile:
Original post by Reversed Flash
It could be your current revision techniques, what are they, if so how did you revise for this mocks.

Ah I’ve been writing out all of my notes because I didn’t really have any work ethic until very recently, but this time around I’m trying out flash cards and hoping it’ll help, thanks for the advice by the way, I appreciate it a tonne
How do you revise so efficiently and get such good grades, btw have you covered all the topics in science?
Original post by Fwd
3A*’s, 5 A’s and a B were your mock results? They're amazing, don't need to improve :giggle: Are you aiming for 9 A*s?

Spoiler

Hahah thank you so much, you’re so kind❤️ but nahh idek tbh I would love 9A*’s, and if I achieved that I’d probably be sent over the moon, just seems a little out of reach considering I have about 5 months left :frown: hoping for about 2/3 9’s, around 4 8’s and 2 7’s But idk about how realistic that is hahah 😫
Original post by RebmaKopy
How do you revise so efficiently and get such good grades, btw have you covered all the topics in science?

I think it all depends on our own expectations, but honestly what I’m relying on for GCSE’s, and my school basically throw these in our faces are the cgp revision guides, they have everything in the syllabus, for different gcse exam boards, and literally guarantee you good grades if you learn them and learn how to apply the knowledge, and they’re only about £5 each!! Win win 😂
M
Original post by RebmaKopy

Oh sorry I missed your question, we still have topic 8 physics, which is space, and topic 8 biology (ecology) and topic 10 chemistry x
What about english language man, i suffer greatly in that (im getting 5's, around 51%) and i wanna get a 9 lol. Maths too man (I get 33% overall in it), please your like a prophet of information :biggrin:
Ah I’ve been writing out all of my notes because I didn’t really have any work ethic until very recently, but this time around I’m trying out flash cards and hoping it’ll help, thanks for the advice by the way, I appreciate it a tonne

What were your predicted grades (roughly)?
Reply 18
Hahah thank you so much, you’re so kind❤️ but nahh idek tbh I would love 9A*’s, and if I achieved that I’d probably be sent over the moon, just seems a little out of reach considering I have about 5 months left :frown: hoping for about 2/3 9’s, around 4 8’s and 2 7’s But idk about how realistic that is hahah 😫

What ever you did to get those mock results.. carry on doing :lol:
If you got those results for real, dentistry will be 100% possible I'm sure :cool:
M

Oh sorry I missed your question, we still have topic 8 physics, which is space, and topic 8 biology (ecology) and topic 10 chemistry x

ty

Quick Reply

Latest