The Student Room Group

Moving out at 16?

I really want to move out at 16, it's just not possible for me to stay at home. The pressure I'm put under here is too much, I can't please my parents, my younger sister literally controls the house and however I've tried, my parents refuse to listen or see sense. I've found a couple afordable student houses near the 6th Form I want to go to and figured out a budget i can live on when I get a job. However how can I access the bank account my parents have set up for me? Theres no way in hell I'd be allowed to move out or have my parents support so would I be able to rent a place without a guarantor?
I don't think you can access the account your parents have set up until you're 18 but when you're 16 you could start your own account. I don't understand how you'd get enough money to live though as well as study
Original post by Rojin001
I really want to move out at 16, it's just not possible for me to stay at home. The pressure I'm put under here is too much, I can't please my parents, my younger sister literally controls the house and however I've tried, my parents refuse to listen or see sense. I've found a couple afordable student houses near the 6th Form I want to go to and figured out a budget i can live on when I get a job. However how can I access the bank account my parents have set up for me? Theres no way in hell I'd be allowed to move out or have my parents support so would I be able to rent a place without a guarantor?

You usually need to be 18 to rent somewhere.

You think you want this, but you really don't. Why would you want to live the broke student life at 16?
It's really not possible. You will never earn enough to support yourself properly, especially if you're also studying. And no one will rent to a 16 year old with no guarantor.
In all honesty don’t do it
Reply 6
Original post by Chaz254
You think you want this, but you really don't. Why would you want to live the broke student life at 16?

I'd rather live broke than stay here where My sister is violent, my parents are mentally abusive and constantly threaten to be physically abusive. and they constantly wish me dead, I get no freedom, not even to go out into the garden. Also I'm good at languages and want to take Spanish for A level but my dad won't let me because thats not what he did for his A levels. i know I get to fill out my own application forms but I'm too damn terrified of them to say otherwise.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd rather live broke than stay here where My sister is violent, my parents are mentally abusive and constantly threaten to be physically abusive. and they constantly wish me dead, I get no freedom, not even to go out into the garden. Also I'm good at languages and want to take Spanish for A level but my dad won't let me because thats not what he did for his A levels. i know I get to fill out my own application forms butb I'm too damn terrified of them to say otherwise.

Oh, that does sound like a horrific situation, I'm very sorry to hear that.

Perhaps you should talk with someone professional who could actually help you? Some pastoral care person at your school perhaps? One who you can trust?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
It's really not possible. You will never earn enough to support yourself properly, especially if you're also studying. And no one will rent to a 16 year old with no guarantor.

From what I've managed to find, I have £6,000 saved in my bank account. If even at most my monthly cost is around £450 (rent, bills and food) I'd need to work 20-25 hours at minimum wage a week. schools from 8:30 - 15;00. i could work 8 hours on saturdays and sundays and two hours a day after school. Please tell me if I've missed anything out.
From what I've managed to find, I have £6,000 saved in my bank account. If even at most my monthly cost is around £450 (rent, bills and food) I'd need to work 20-25 hours at minimum wage a week. schools from 8:30 - 15;00. i could work 8 hours on saturdays and sundays and two hours a day after school. Please tell me if I've missed anything out.

And in the process failing A-Levels because you're having to spend too much time working and running a household. Don't do it, you'll end up worse off than you are now.
Reply 10
Original post by Chaz254
Oh, that does sound like a horrific situation, I'm very sorry to hear that.

Perhaps you should talk with someone professional who could actually help you? Some pastoral care person at your school perhaps? One who you can trust?

I've thought about that,sometimes I'm so angry that I'm prepared to tell anyone but once I calm down I'm too scared to do it because I know I'd feel guilty for the rest of my life, and all my relatives live in Iran so I've got no one here.

To do it you really need to be prepared to get social services involved.

Are you prepared to do that?

Whether you can access the account will depend upon what basis it was set up. It may have been created for a specific reason and it may be age restricted. You may need to talk to a lawyer and then apply to court for an order to allow you access. All depends on the account.

It would be a lot easier to rent with a guarantor. If you talk to social services and they feel you are in need then they can help you get a place. You might not like the quality.
You're assuming you can find a job with the hours that you want. This may not be possible.

As mentioned, your studies may also be affected if you're working that much.
Reply 13
You wouldn't be able to rent anywhere if you're under 18 without a guarantor. You really need to speak to someone like a counsellor. Maybe give Childline a ring.

You've missed quite a lot out.

1. you've said you don't have access to that 6000
2. I don't know any city where you will find a rent for £200-250 a month and you'll need £200-250 for bills and food
3. 20-25 hours a week plus school would leave you too exhausted to get anything like decent grades
4. there's no guarantee you could find a job prepared to give you the hours you want exactly
5. when you move out you also need spare income for emergencies/sudden costs
6. a landlord just will not let to a 16 y/o so all of the above is pretty irrelevant

I don't mean to be cruel but it's just not feasible without declaring yourself homeless and frankly even then the council could take quite a while to find you a (probably horrible) flat so you would actually be homeless which would also ruin your education and be stressful and horrible. I get that living at home can be too much but unless you're being seriously abused then the best bet is to study hard, save up and get a place at a good university and have enough savings to ensure you never have to move back home again.
Reply 15
When I was 16 I moved into my boyfriends flat (who was 19) as me and my parents did not get along at all. We had been dating for 4 years so I knew I trusted him. I was lucky, he provided for both of us I wasn’t paying for anything as I was underage. Hen I turned 18 I got a job and payed rent. My relationship with my parents became so much better as we didn’t have the opportunity to argue all the time, me and my boyfriend would go for dinner with my parents and stuff like that.

To answer your question if it is down to abuse you can freely walk out but if not then you will need your parents permission.

You could try explaining to her that it’s just for the best as you could no longer have a stable relationship with her living in the house.
It's called abuse
Don’t do the house thing its too much especially with A levels.
Do you have any grandparents/relatives/family friends/ close friends that live near or close enough to your college that you could stay with instead?

Quick Reply