Psychology Watch

leanne.hx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I have entered my application to sixth form, I orginally chose maths, physics and electronics but I've changed my options to psychology, sociology and law in hopes to work with criminals (maybe mentally ill) when I'm older.

I am just wondering what psychology involves and if it is a difficult subject. Also, would psychology compliment sociology and law?
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Psychology talks a lot about crimes and stuff like that. It’s a lot of work but it’s not hard. Sociology however is they are a bit similar. Psychology is 10x more interesting.
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Didn't you research the specification or the syllabus before you chose the subject? Anyway, psychology involves a lot of core studies in year 12 and research methods. That's pretty much all it is (I did OCR). In year 13 you focus more on applied psychology, so in my school we did mental health, child and criminal psychology. You do look at core studies, just not in as much detail but you look at a lot more of them. You study the background of the areas and how they are applied to everyday life. Then it is a lot of exam practice, recap of the studies learnt in year 12 as well as research methods. Yes, it is a bit tricky. I found it difficult to memorise all the studies and distinguish between research methods like types of validity. Also, time management for the applied psychology paper was hard but if you put in enough effort you'll be fine. I got an A* in the end.
leanne.hx
Rep:
?
I did reseaerch the specification, I infact have it saved in my address bar along with my two other chosen A levels. The sixth form I'm going to does AQA psychology and comparing your notes to the spec, AQA and OCR and similiar.
I asked as I want to be ready and prepare myself. When you say studies, do mean experiments/tests that people have carried out?

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Didn't you research the specification or the syllabus before you chose the subject? Anyway, psychology involves a lot of core studies in year 12 and research methods. That's pretty much all it is (I did OCR). In year 13 you focus more on applied psychology, so in my school we did mental health, child and criminal psychology. You do look at core studies, just not in as much detail but you look at a lot more of them. You study the background of the areas and how they are applied to everyday life. Then it is a lot of exam practice, recap of the studies learnt in year 12 as well as research methods. Yes, it is a bit tricky. I found it difficult to memorise all the studies and distinguish between research methods like types of validity. Also, time management for the applied psychology paper was hard but if you put in enough effort you'll be fine. I got an A* in the end.
soIiIoquy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
apparently you shouldnt take sociology and psych together...
leanne.hx
Rep:
?
How come? I've never heard that before
(Original post by soIiIoquy)
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by leanne.hx)
I did reseaerch the specification, I infact have it saved in my address bar along with my two other chosen A levels. The sixth form I'm going to does AQA psychology and comparing your notes to the spec, AQA and OCR and similiar.
I asked as I want to be ready and prepare myself. When you say studies, do mean experiments/tests that people have carried out?
Yeah, core studies that psychologists have carried out. You'll look at the aim, sample, method, design, results, conclusion, criticisms and maybe the background to the study too.
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by soIiIoquy)
Why exactly?
soIiIoquy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How come? I've never heard that before
idk, apparently sociology and psychology clash and it gets confusing.. something like that

but psychology is hard but very interesting, it's mostly remembering evaluation AO3 points
username3648614
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do a BTEC.
leanne.hx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Adidas02)
Do a BTEC.
Rather not😂
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username3648614
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Rather not😂
Pfft, you disappoint me. I'll have you know that you can do medicine with a BTEC.
leanne.hx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Adidas02)
Pfft, you disappoint me. I'll have you know that you can do medicine with a BTEC.
I’ll have you know you can’t
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username3648614
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ll have you know you can’t
What a shame for some people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (30)
13.1%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.83%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
13.97%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (27)
11.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
30.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise