The Student Room Group

OASC Results 2017

Right lads. I thought I'd start this thread for those who have recently attended, or are about to attend, OASC and are/will be awaiting the outcome. The official line given at OASC is that those who complete both days (i.e. make the cut after the exercise phase) will hear back within three weeks. I can confirm through my own experience that this is certified *******s. I have now been waiting over 4 weeks and after PMing a few of you guys it seems I'm not the only one. I phoned Cranwell on Monday who advised that they are currently going through a very busy period and are taking longer than usual to respond to candidates, but couldn't say any more than that. After a bit more digging online it seems they are having a number of issues after outsourcing parts of the recruitment process to Capita, also known as Crapita. So fellas, and ladies of course, I'd be interested to hear if you have any experiences regarding this, i.e. how long have you being waiting? How long did it take your result to come through etc.

For info I applied for a priority role.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Huh, didn't know that was considered a swear word. For those of you guessing ..it rhymes with schmollocks.
Original post by guydabomb
Huh, didn't know that was considered a swear word. For those of you guessing ..it rhymes with schmollocks.

Frollocks?
Reply 3
How infuriating... I only went through OASC 10 days ago so I'll prepare myself for an agonising wait then! I asked my interviewing officers about this and they said there was a new recruitment IT system under implementation causing a back log, and that I should expect not to hear until after first week in Jan.
Original post by JP286
How infuriating... I only went through OASC 10 days ago so I'll prepare myself for an agonising wait then! I asked my interviewing officers about this and they said there was a new recruitment IT system under implementation causing a back log, and that I should expect not to hear until after first week in Jan.

Yes, infuriating. I've been waiting over 2 weeks for a medical date
Reply 5
If you think long waits without information are bad then maybe you want to rethink a career in the forces...
Reply 6
Hi folks, I attended OASC last week... the wait is already killing me! Not expecting any word til after Christmas. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
If you think long waits without information are bad then maybe you want to rethink a career in the forces...

Ok. That's great. Thanks for contributing.
Reply 8
Ok. That's great. Thanks for contributing.

Sarcasm not withstanding, it's a valid point. Just because you don't like it or don't think it's a valuable comment doesn't mean it's not true.

You think the battle to get accepted and start training is the hard one. It isn't. This is the easy bit. How do I know? Been there and done that.

And I'll be backed up by all the other ex-regs here too.

You might also wish to consider that training staff are aware of this place and look at who posts. You're not as anonymous as you may think. And getting the reputation of a bit of a **** early on isn't the best move...

Fwiw, you'll also have to consider that training stations - and the people who run them - will have a longer time off than operational places during Christmas. Don't expect much new stuff to come out for 2/3 weeks.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Sarcasm not withstanding, it's a valid point. Just because you don't like it or don't think it's a valuable comment doesn't mean it's not true.

You think the battle to get accepted and start training is the hard one. It isn't. This is the easy bit. How do I know? Been there and done that.

And I'll be backed up by all the other ex-regs here too.

You might also wish to consider that training staff are aware of this place and look at who posts. You're not as anonymous as you may think. And getting the reputation of a bit of a **** early on isn't the best move...

Fwiw, you'll also have to consider that training stations - and the people who run them - will have a longer time off than operational places during Christmas. Don't expect much new stuff to come out for 2/3 weeks.

You seem rather stroppy. All I did was thank you for commenting dude.

Are all regs this sensitive?

Communications, and how you come across in them, are important. Remember that.
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski
Communications, and how you come across in them, are important. Remember that.

Sound advice. Seems something's gone wrong with mine here : /
Reply 12

No, they are not.

Best of luck with your result. A little impatience is to be expected when it means as much as it does! Fingers crossed the outcome is worth the wait chap.
Reply 13
Original post by JP286
No, they are not.

Best of luck with your result. A little impatience is to be expected when it means as much as it does! Fingers crossed the outcome is worth the wait chap.

Thanks mate. I understand I may have come across the wrong way but literally life as I know it is on hold as I await the result, so I'm obviously very anxious. I guess everyone is different but for me this will flip reverse my life. So the only way I can relax is by taking it with a pinch of salt and a bit of banter. As it seems to be unofficial and unmonitored I try to be as lighthearted as possible on this space. I appreciate your comment though so thanks buddy.
Reply 14
Thanks mate. I understand I may have come across the wrong way but literally life as I know it is on hold as I await the result, so I'm obviously very anxious. I guess everyone is different but for me this will flip reverse my life. So the only way I can relax is by taking it with a pinch of salt and a bit of banter. As it seems to be unofficial and unmonitored I try to be as lighthearted as possible on this space. I appreciate your comment though so thanks buddy.

Agreed and I completely feel the same. A lot of hard work goes into prepping for and getting through IOT. I think if anyone isn't anxious and a little impatient during this wait they probably don't want it enough.
Right lads. I thought I'd start this thread for those who have recently attended, or are about to attend, OASC and are/will be awaiting the outcome. The official line given at OASC is that those who complete both days (i.e. make the cut after the exercise phase) will hear back within three weeks. I can confirm through my own experience that this is certified *******s. I have now been waiting over 4 weeks and after PMing a few of you guys it seems I'm not the only one. I phoned Cranwell on Monday who advised that they are currently going through a very busy period and are taking longer than usual to respond to candidates, but couldn't say any more than that. After a bit more digging online it seems they are having a number of issues after outsourcing parts of the recruitment process to Capita, also known as Crapita. So fellas, and ladies of course, I'd be interested to hear if you have any experiences regarding this, i.e. how long have you being waiting? How long did it take your result to come through etc.

For info I applied for a priority role.

Interesting. I was at OASC last week and at least one applicant has been contacted. Although at the time we all suspected we wouldn't be finding out until next year. I guess this chap had an excellent score. I must say I feel your pain though. The selection process is utter shambles. I sometimes wonder if it's all a test to see who genuinely wants it. Enough to put up with all their inefficiencies. Good luck!
Reply 16
Just found out I'm on the list for further consideration, mixed feelings as I know lots of people will be on this list... hopefully I'll be competitive enough. Spoke to someone in Cranwell who told me IOT is full up for Jan and March so they're now looking to load people onto May and July... at least that is the case for the intelligence branch. So probably another long wait to find out!!
Original post by LHGL17
Just found out I'm on the list for further consideration, mixed feelings as I know lots of people will be on this list... hopefully I'll be competitive enough. Spoke to someone in Cranwell who told me IOT is full up for Jan and March so they're now looking to load people onto May and July... at least that is the case for the intelligence branch. So probably another long wait to find out!!

Further consideration isn't the end of the World, but I can understand why you have mixed feelings there. You'll probably find that you've been put on that list as OASC hasn't begun booking people onto IOT for May and July.. At least an answer will allow you to go through Christmas and New Year without going out of your mind! Keep us updated on any future news mate!
Original post by LHGL17

Well congrats for at least making the grade mate. When was your OASC and how long did that feedback take?
Reply 19
Original post by jamesbb93
Further consideration isn't the end of the World, but I can understand why you have mixed feelings there. You'll probably find that you've been put on that list as OASC hasn't begun booking people onto IOT for May and July.. At least an answer will allow you to go through Christmas and New Year without going out of your mind! Keep us updated on any future news mate!

Thanks, yeah I hope so! Best of luck.

Quick Reply