The Student Room Group

Can Saudi Arabian's speak English?

well, I have been doing a bit of research about countries and one of the things i found was that the ranking of Saudi arabia in the english proficiency index is 72. so I am wondering can Saudis speak English? if yes, what percentage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rubycrystal
well, I have been doing a bit of research about countries and one of the things i found was that the ranking of Saudi arabia in the english proficiency index is 72. so I am wondering can Saudis speak English? if yes, what percentage?

72 is higher than Birmingham, probably.

I'm sure most can. When I went saudi there was a lot of individuals that were mostly communicating in English. Minorities were communicating in Arabic. 😀
Original post by MiszShortee786
I'm sure most can. When I went saudi there was a lot of individuals that were mostly communicating in English. Minorities were communicating in Arabic. 😀

Personally I disagree with you. Generally the level of English known is pretty poor amongst Saudis. Many of them didn't even know a word of English when I went there;and I am talking about young people (perhaps in their 20's)
Yes, there may be some who know English, assuming 30% but of these 30% only 7 or 8% would know fluent English while the others may know how to communicate in very basic English.
as for ranking 72? that is pretty poor. considering the number of countries in the world Saudi arabia probably comes after most developing countries such as India etc.

72 is probably higher than the town I live in.
no
If they live, work and plan on staying in Saudi why would they need to learn it?
I don't see why this is even being asked. Their official language is not English.
Just like every country, there's obviously people who can speak a foreign language in Saudi Arabia. So yes, there must be people who can speak English there.
Most do.
actually most don't
You can find a lot of people speaking english, as there are a lot of expatriates in Saudi Arabia (Gulf Region). If we're talking about locals, you mainly find the youth having a higher proficiency of the english language compared to the older population. As stated above by a user- English is only a second language to them.
i thought they spoke arabic
looking at the countries that came before it 72 seems pretty poor and it is also labelled as having a 'very low proficiency rate'
(edited 6 years ago)

Of course then can
wow such different views
Original post by Anonymous
as for ranking 72? that is pretty poor. considering the number of countries in the world Saudi arabia probably comes after most developing countries such as India etc.

Indians speak better English than the French

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_English_Proficiency_Index

Are you basing that of Wikipedia?
Generally speaking people understand and speak English when it suits them...
Original post by stevenza108
You can find a lot of people speaking english, as there are a lot of expatriates in Saudi Arabia (Gulf Region). If we're talking about locals, you mainly find the youth having a higher proficiency of the english language compared to the older population. As stated above by a user- English is only a second language to them.

that's not true I went there and many youths (persumably in their early 20's) could not speak a word of English

Quick Reply