12doeb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’m currently in year 12 doing the new reformed maths Alevels. (Edexcel)

I know in the past papers were
C1, 2, 3, 4
S1, 2
M1, 2, 3, 4, 5
And
D1, 2 (decision is no longer on spec)

I will not be sitting AS in 2018, but going onto full A-Level in 2019.

Due to some things being scrapped and some new things being bought in, I no longer know which past papers are relevant and if they are all worth doing ?

Surely the old Alevel, people didn’t use to sit 12 papers ? That seems a lot of papers for one Alevel. Were there Tiers or something?
Pickell
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
C1 and to a lesser extent C2 papers contain similar content to the content in the new as level. C3 and C4 contain similar content to the new full a level. For the applied modules, the content has changed a fair bit so M1 and S1 papers may contain some useful questions but not too many. Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything else.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 12doeb)

C1, 2, 3, 4
S1, 2
M1, 2, 3, 4, 5
And

Due to some things being scrapped and some new things being bought in, I no longer know which past papers are relevant and if they are all worth doing ?

Surely the old Alevel, people didn’t use to sit 12 papers ? That seems a lot of papers for one Alevel. Were there Tiers or something?
C1,2 papers will contain similar content to the new AS Level.

C1-4 papers will contain similar content to the A Level. So these papers will be good practice but there are a few differences.

Mechanics/statistics are more different but you can use M1/2 and S1/2 papers to practice topics for the new applied content. However you'll need to focus on topics that you know and make sure that there aren't any questions that go beyond your spec. Your teacher should hopefully be able to guide you towards questions you can look at. Remember that the new statistics course is quite different to the old one, particularly the use of a calculator instead of tables.

For the old A Level all students did C1-4 and two other papers so e.g. they could have done M1 + M2 or M1 + S1. For the new spec every student does mechanics and statistics.
Bigpaddy27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am taking the full reformed A level this year.

In terms of revision-

c1 papers fine
c2 papers fine.

The only thing that c2 and c1 do not incorporate from our spec is the harder circle theorem questions in the end of chapter 6 and the basic modelling in chapter 2. Other than that you are good to use past papers.

I have not done enough c3 or 4 to tell you about that yet.

s1 and m1 papers are fairly useless. There is barely any stats to learn over the two years. just use the mixed exercises in the book and the question by topics section for both mechanics and statistics.
Bulbasaur10
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

C1, 2, 3, 4
S1, 2
M1, 2, 3, 4, 5
And

I'm currently in Year 13 and am still doing the modular Maths A-Level (oddly since everything else is linear now...) so I might be able to provide a little insight. Sorry if you already know what I am saying, but to do regular Maths, we sit C1 through C4, the first two of which are AS modules. These all include pure maths that you will be doing this year and past papers for these modules are probably going to be of use to you. I did some specimen AS papers for my revision this summer and they were definitely not too dissimilar to what I actually did.

Then, sadly, it gets confusing. People doing regular Maths in the modular course sit two extra applied modules: one in Year 12 and one in Year 13. I have a feeling you have to do at least some stats and mechanics now whereas you could either do one or the other, or decision, or even a combination before, but the content is definitely there. I think you will have to look at S2 and S3 papers for some of the AS stats but I'm not too sure now. Maybe when you look up revision videos for certain topics, check what suggestions come up - there will be lots of search results related to the specific exam units they are in for the modular course so you can find out via that. The specification for the modular course is also an option, or even the formula booklet!

Just in case you are doing FM, I can talk about which modules are involved for that. I am sitting 12 modules in total - I did 6 last year and will do 6 this year - the extra ones being FP1 through 3 and three extra applied modules (not C1-4). You can do four applied and miss one of FP2 and FP3 but I think you will cover the content from all three anyway so come summer next year you will be able to use any of these papers for revision. I feel like FP1 papers will be the most suitable for your FM revision (if you are doing it) this year alone though.

Sorry if this was a bit long or unhelpful. I really don't envy you at all doing the new spec and wish you all the best! Just remember, your grade boundaries will be much lower than the ones for the current (kinda current...) modular A-Level so it will all work out in the end. Everyone is in the same boat.

Just a note on tiers - there aren't any. The numbers after the modules just represent their difficulties (not always) or the order they are taken in, and the higher ones are usually done in Year 13.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bigpaddy27)
The only thing that c2 and c1 do not incorporate from our spec is the harder circle theorem questions in the end of chapter 6 and the basic modelling in chapter 2. Other than that you are good to use past papers.
Actually you did see questions like this (involving circle theorems) in old C2 papers.

The main topics in the new AS that you won't see in C1/2 papers are

Quartic graphs
Proof methods
Vectors
e^x and natural logarithms
Using logarithmic with non-linear data
General modelling questions
12doeb
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I just feel like the Guinnea pig year constantly. First year to sit new maths GCSE, first year to sit new maths A-Level because they had to postpone the new Alevel because they beeped it up so badly.
New driving tests. New UCAS points system. (Although this might have changed 1 or 2 years ago)
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I just feel like the Guinnea pig year constantly. First year to sit new maths GCSE, first year to sit new maths A-Level because they had to postpone the new Alevel because they beeped it up so badly.
New driving tests. New UCAS points system. (Although this might have changed 1 or 2 years ago)
But you won't be disadvantaged in terms of the grade you get compared to previous years. The marks in the new A Level will probably be low compared to the old exams, just like they were in the new 9-1 GCSE, although the difficulty of A Level hasn't really changed. Grade boundaries will probably be low.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed