worrying statistic - what do you think Watch

This discussion is closed.
Douglas
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lehcar)
Tolerance? AHHAHHAHAH! That's funny. There's only tolerance if you're a white, rich, hetrosexual, Christian male who is extremely patriotic. BTW, isn't this a UK learning forum? Why do we have to have annoying Americans who just blab on about how great their country is all the time?
Your first sentence as a minimum is disingenuous.
Yes, this is a UK learning forum. We are learning about how the UK and others feel about Americans, I would think that you may be interested in the ways in which we agree or disagree with you.....it could be a learning experience for both of us.
Lehcar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Your post comes across as highly ignorant, xenophobic and moronic given that you start flaying them for lack of tolerance, and finish with the phrase "annoying americans who just blab on."
Actually, I don't mind Americans. I think I did specifically say the ones which blab on about how great their country is.
Lehcar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
Why do we have annoying newbies who insult instead of debate?
I'm afraid insults are mandatory with me. I will not give you the courtesy of a "mocking free" debate.
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm afraid insults are mandatory with me. I will not give you the courtesy of a "mocking free" debate.
Wonderful, i can't wait to debate things with you :rolleyes:
Lehcar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
Wonderful, i can't wait to debate things with you :rolleyes:
I bet.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Actually, I don't mind Americans. I think I did specifically say the ones which blab on about how great their country is.
It's still highly intolerant, and offensive to americans.
Lehcar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's still highly intolerant, and offensive to americans.
How so?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How so?
1. insulting their culture
2. suggesting that this is 'uk' and so should be lacking in 'us'
Lehcar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
1. insulting their culture
What culture? Just kidding - it was a joke guys. Seriously, where did I insult their culture?

2. suggesting that this is 'uk' and so should be lacking in 'us'
I'm not even sure what you mean by that. Can you quote me and then explain how I did this. Thanks.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What culture? Just kidding - it was a joke guys. Seriously, where did I insult their culture?
"There's only tolerance if you're a white, rich, hetrosexual, Christian male who is extremely patriotic."

You never provided any evidence for this, and if it's not true it's a huge insult to their culture. It's evidence of the double standards present amongst the trendy left in Britain, nobody would dream of trashing a country like that unless it was the US.

I'm not even sure what you mean by that. Can you quote me and then explain how I did this. Thanks.
"BTW, isn't this a UK learning forum? Why do we have to have annoying Americans who just blab on about how great their country is all the time?"

That reads as "This is the UK, why do we have patriotic americans?" or more simply "this is the UK, go away if you're from the US"
Lehcar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
"There's only tolerance if you're a white, rich, hetrosexual, Christian male who is extremely patriotic."

You never provided any evidence for this, and if it's not true it's a huge insult to their culture. It's evidence of the double standards present amongst the trendy left in Britain, nobody would dream of trashing a country like that unless it was the US.
That has nothing to do with their culture.
American's are extremely patriotic. They're one of the only countries who have a pledge for their flag (I think the other is the Philippines). The gap between rich and poor is growing, there is still a huge amount of racism in the south, due to the amount of evangelism there is a lot of bigotry against homosexuals and the right for a women to have an abortion. These are the sort of things I'm refering to.

"BTW, isn't this a UK learning forum? Why do we have to have annoying Americans who just blab on about how great their country is all the time?"

That reads as "This is the UK, why do we have patriotic americans?" or more simply "this is the UK, go away if you're from the US"
I didn't say "go away if you're from the US", nor did I imply I would like you to go away if you're from the US. I get annoyed when anyone (although Americans are the biggest culprits) comes and tells me how great their country is. Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious, and I would never preach how great the UK is. It isn't, and I am willing to admit that. The reason I picked on Americans in this particular instance is because that is what the thread is about!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That has nothing to do with their culture.
Racism, classism, and homophobia are all cultural issues surely?

I didn't say "go away if you're from the US", nor did I imply I would like you to go away if you're from the US.
"Isn't this supposed to be UK learning" comes with an emphasis on the UK, and is blatantly xenophobic.
Lehcar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
BTW, I only made the point about intolerance because Made_in_the_USA (I think that's his name) claimed America was the most tolerant country. I didn't bring it up, but I think that needed to be challenged.
Lehcar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Racism, classism, and homophobia are all cultural issues surely?

"Isn't this supposed to be UK learning" comes with an emphasis on the UK, and is blatantly xenophobic.
I'll thank you not to call me xenophobic again. I do not have a fear or hatred of foreigners and I have never implied I do. The USA is not the most tolerant country, and I've shown how. I only said I have a problem with Americans, or anyone for that matter, when they come and preach to me about how great their country is.
Fleffzilla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
BTW, I only made the point about intolerance because Made_in_the_USA (I think that's his name) claimed America was the most tolerant country. I didn't bring it up, but I think that needed to be challenged.
So you being intolerant to Americans disproved it how?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Your own comment was so very intolerant and ignorant though.
Lehcar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Your own comment was so very intolerant and ignorant though.
Which comment would that be?
Lehcar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
So you being intolerant to Americans disproved it how?
Huh? :confused:
Fleffzilla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Fishpaste, would you care to continue this? I'm going to bed, and I can't be bothered to show Lehcar how much of an ignoramus they're being...
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Which comment would that be?
"Why do we have to have annoying Americans who just blab on about how great their country is all the time?"

That's not very tolerant of patriotic americans, it's just a tad hypocritical to preach tolerance, then insult american culture and stress how much you can't tolerate patriotic americans.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed