Media AS A2 Terminology

Watch this thread
superdamnfabulous
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hey I've got a list of some words to include in the exam...

Anyone care to drop in some more?

Genre - The classification of any media text into a category or type.

Representation - The process by which an image etc may be used to represent/stand for someone or something.

Hypodermic Needle Theory -

Discourse - The expression of ideologies or speech used to achieve social, personal or political power.

Media Institution – The operation of a large media corporation embracing production, distribution and consumption

Mis-en-scene – Everything that is put in a TV studio or film set

Narrative - The way in which a plot or story is told, by whom and in what order.

Form – The structure or skeleton of a text

Ideology - A system of beliefs/values, which can be identified in mass media products or texts.

Denotation - The common sense, obvious meaning of something.

Connotation - Associations triggered by eg. an image or an object.

cheers me dears
the_mars_volta
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 14 years ago
I was taught to believe that Mis-en-scene meant what was in the foreground and background on the screen. Make sure you get a couple of theorists in; from what I remember Denis McQuail's uses and characteristics theory was very important when talking about audience.
username131927
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
The hyperdermic needle theory suggests that we are passive to the media. As the name suggests, the media and it's ideologies are simply injected into our brain like a needle.

The opposing theory to this is called the "Uses and gratifications" theory. It suggests that we are active to the media and that we use it for our own uses (EG conversation material) and gratifications (For fun and entertainment)
gman2k8
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
RE: Media terminology for AS
these are the ones i know (cheryl)-
paradigmatic elements/ codes and conventions- items that are used at construction to make a complete product
syntagm- the completed product (such as a completed magazine or dvd cover
bricolage- a combo of genres, e.g. action and romance, or romance and comedy
in-house style- a company of organisation way of communication with a consistent layout
enigma- exciting (a engimatic character, like Sylar in heroes)
direct mode of address- when a character looks straight at the camera (at the audience, indirect mode of address is the opposite)
EthanAbhorsen
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
i was taught that mise en scene is the feeling that the audience gets from the scene, like the grey filter and low key artificial lighting gives the scene an eerie mise en scene? :L
pauloronaldo
Report 11 years ago
i'm doing the OCR A2 next Monday,

- I've done a bit about Bulmer and Katz (1974)
which is about why people choose a text
1) as a form of escapism
2) to explore personal relationships

And stuff about Roland Barthes Semiotics...

But I was wondering if anyone had a guess at what the collective identity question will be about?
tiaford1838
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
here you go
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (146)
29.14%
It went fairly well (237)
47.31%
It didn't go too well (75)
14.97%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.58%

Watched Threads