The Student Room Group

Does anyone feel like this?

Whenever I post on the how are you feeling thread saying “excited” for example, something goes downhill. I really think that you shouldn’t let people know that you’re feeling happy but just express it through your tone and smile.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It’s only me.
Reply 2
Hmm I think I get you tbh
Reply 3
Original post by h333
Hmm I think I get you tbh

Evil eye sister
Never tell anyone anything sounds about right to me. Doesn't apply to everything of course but yeah.. like I was talking to a friend about someone I asked out but hadn't had a reply from yet, and haven't talked about it since being rejected so maybe I should have said nothing.
Yes
It's like that place is jinxed.
Original post by Anonymous
Whenever I post on the how are you feeling thread saying “excited” for example, something goes downhill. I really think that you shouldn’t let people know that you’re feeling happy but just express it through your tone and smile.

There is a reason for this and it's along the same lines as when people say, "lets not plan because when we do something always goes wrong". People realise that spontaneous get togethers are more successful.
Original post by Huw M Thomas
There is a reason for this and it's along the same lines as when people say, "lets not plan because when we do something always goes wrong". People realise that spontaneous get togethers are more successful.

Bizarre. Why though?

OP I think this is called tempting providence.
Maybe all things are out of our control and by trying to control them we tempt fate
Reply 9
Evil eye sister

Yep probably. Idk about online, but irl people mostly think I’m very positive and happy etc but they don’t know about my struggles and problems. I know it can be a good thing that they think like that of me but it makes me shiver when they think I have no problems in life!

Are you a Muslim?
Maybe all things are out of our control and by trying to control them we tempt fate

Fate is just another superstitious nonsense.
It’s not even just on here. Even real life.

Original post by h333
Yep probably. Idk about online, but irl people mostly think I’m very positive and happy etc but they don’t know about my struggles and problems. I know it can be a good thing that they think like that of me but it makes me shiver when they think I have no problems in life!

Are you a Muslim?

Both good and bad. Telling people bad things about yourself and about your day and good things. I mean I will post in that thread once or twice but not about any plans. Never share any plans with anyone until you actually finish it. Yeah I’m Muslim lol
Fate is just another superstitious nonsense.

Is it though? Fate is defined as "the development of events outside a person's control, regarded as predetermined by a supernatural power."
I agree with the first clause "development of events outside a person's control", that definitely exists. Though what it's predetermined by is questionable. I guess I don't know enough about ontology to say exactly what it is that makes events be so uncontrollable. Maybe should read up on some theories of everything. Maybe there is just no answer.
16 years ago I made myself a promise that I would never say, "how are you"? to anyone, ever again. I felt that I was inciting people to lie, because I know that people are not "fine" or "great thanks".
16 years ago I made myself a promise that I would never say, "how are you"? to anyone, ever again. I felt that I was inciting people to lie, because I know that people are not "fine" or "great thanks".

What do you say instead?
Is it though? Fate is defined as "the development of events outside a person's control, regarded as predetermined by a supernatural power."
I agree with the first clause "development of events outside a person's control", that definitely exists. Though what it's predetermined by is questionable. I guess I don't know enough about ontology to say exactly what it is that makes events be so uncontrollable. Maybe should read up on some theories of everything. Maybe there is just no answer.

There is an answer and the answer is denied by most people.

Not really. I know what you mean, a random stranger isn't just going to open up about what's going on, and it is a bit of a void question in that sense, but at the same time in asking it you are
a) acknowledging that person's existence. It is a bit of a void question but it's just the same as saying hello to someone in that sense. It functions more as a greeting people have to acknowledge the others existence
b) you are paving the way to further conversation. most conversation begins with these 'fillers' if you will.
c) on the rare chance that person is an open person you are giving them the opportunity to open up to you. and sometimes they do want to tell you about it.
d) saying 'great thanks' could be pretty accurate. sometimes people do feel great
Not really. I know what you mean, a random stranger isn't just going to open up about what's going on, and it is a bit of a void question in that sense, but at the same time in asking it you are
a) acknowledging that person's existence. It is a bit of a void question but it's just the same as saying hello to someone in that sense. It functions more as a greeting people have to acknowledge the others existence
b) you are paving the way to further conversation. most conversation begins with these 'fillers' if you will.
c) on the rare chance that person is an open person you are giving them the opportunity to open up to you. and sometimes they do want to tell you about it.
d) saying 'great thanks' could be pretty accurate. sometimes people do feel great

It's interesting that you started this thread questioning something and now you seem to have all the answers. Carry on...
There is an answer and the answer is denied by most people.

what is the answer? God? Because I'm not sure about that
Reply 19
It’s not even just on here. Even real life.

Both good and bad. Telling people bad things about yourself and about your day and good things. I mean I will post in that thread once or twice but not about any plans. Never share any plans with anyone until you actually finish it. Yeah I’m Muslim lol

True. We should aim to be keep it is as limited as possible insha’Allah. My mum usually reminds me to be careful and not to share too much.

Lol now I’m curious to know who this is 🤔

Btw recite the last two surahs of the Quran, Surat al-Ikhlas, Surat al-Fatihah, and ayat al-Kursi to protect yourself from the evil eye insha’Allah.

Quick Reply

Latest