Do i have a shot at Msc Finance/Finance & Accounting at LSE?

Watch
takasar
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all
I recently graduated this summer with a First in International Management China and am hoping to apply for the MSc in MSc Finance/Finance & Accounting at LSE. I have rung LSE myself with queries relating to how I can prove my quantitative skill and whether it is worth me applying (given that management isn't a highly quantitative course). All advice/recommendations were rather vague. Any and all advice/help from TSR on whether or not I am, at least, a viable candidate is much appreciated:

International Management China 2012-17 (First, Honours), SOAS university (lots of finance/accounting/economics courses)
ACTs 33/36 (American high school exam)
Experience gained during banking/trading and asset management internships in HK/Beijing/London
I currently manage a portfolio of stocks, trade forex and am a CFA level 1 candidate. experience running a small business.

my transcript looks good but I am worried about an econometrics module during my first year which I got a Third in....hopefully that won't be too important....

I've prepared my references and personal statement accordingly and am now just waiting for my GMAT test later this month (hoping for 700 at least). In the past, do LSE courses in Finance/Accounting close by January or can i afford to 'leave' it til then?
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by takasar)
Hi all
I recently graduated this summer with a First in International Management China and am hoping to apply for the MSc in MSc Finance/Finance & Accounting at LSE. I have rung LSE myself with queries relating to how I can prove my quantitative skill and whether it is worth me applying (given that management isn't a highly quantitative course). All advice/recommendations were rather vague. Any and all advice/help from TSR on whether or not I am, at least, a viable candidate is much appreciated:

International Management China 2012-17 (First, Honours), SOAS university (lots of finance/accounting/economics courses)
ACTs 33/36 (American high school exam)
Experience gained during banking/trading and asset management internships in HK/Beijing/London
I currently manage a portfolio of stocks, trade forex and am a CFA level 1 candidate. experience running a small business.

my transcript looks good but I am worried about an econometrics module during my first year which I got a Third in....hopefully that won't be too important....

I've prepared my references and personal statement accordingly and am now just waiting for my GMAT test later this month (hoping for 700 at least). In the past, do LSE courses in Finance/Accounting close by January or can i afford to 'leave' it til then?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
Nasahtahir
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Assuming you do secure a 710+ GMAT and write an absolute killer personal statement you definitely have a shot. Trust me. ps: Do check; some universities exempt Gmat if you're a CFA L1 so do check that out as well. You have plenty of time to actually appear for the paper.
takasar
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Nasahtahir)
Assuming you do secure a 710+ GMAT and write an absolute killer personal statement you definitely have a shot. Trust me. ps: Do check; some universities exempt Gmat if you're a CFA L1 so do check that out as well. You have plenty of time to actually appear for the paper.
Thank you for your response! Was getting worried that no one would be able to offer any advice. Would i be correct in assuming that my personal statement would have to be even better than the average (given my undergrad degree)?
I am a CFA Lvl 1 candidate and will sit the test in June next year, but i did not see any mention of this on the LSE/Oxford/Imperial websites....Nevertheless, I will remember to include this fact in the application.
Have you applied yourself to/for this university/course?
Nasahtahir
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by takasar)
Thank you for your response! Was getting worried that no one would be able to offer any advice. Would i be correct in assuming that my personal statement would have to be even better than the average (given my undergrad degree)?
I am a CFA Lvl 1 candidate and will sit the test in June next year, but i did not see any mention of this on the LSE/Oxford/Imperial websites....Nevertheless, I will remember to include this fact in the application.
Have you applied yourself to/for this university/course?
In my opinion you should always strive to write the best personal statement regardless of what you have achieved before. So yes. Finance @LSE is like the top top program probably at the same level as princeton if not more.
Yes I did apply unfortunately was rejected
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (143)
42.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.64%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.36%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (71)
21.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.97%

Watched Threads