The Student Room Group

Missing school for my Mental health

Hi, so I told myself I was going to take a week off to sort of replenish myself and offload some stress. But it’s wednesday now and I’ve had multiple teachers in contact with me concerned over me being off.

What do I say to them when I get back because, I feel like I can’t just say it’s down to my mental health. I literally feel like I’m on the verge of a mental break down and I get most of my work done at home anyway.

Last year during AS I didn’t take time off and it resulted in me getting quite depressed to the point of having suicidal thoughts. I ended up opening up to a teacher but I think she just pity’s me or something. Like I’m annoying her with my problems.

I feel like a disappointment. Am I doing the right thing?

Also I’m going to visit my GP soon over my depression/anxiety and I’m considering meds.
Yes and no. It’s good to take a break but you did it illegally- should’ve really confirmed with a gp rather than self diagnosing. Ultimately only you know the right answer.
Reply 2
Hello, I’ve done the same when I was in college. My attendance was below 80%. So I completely understand where you’re coming from. I think it’s best to open up to your teachers, tell them you’ve gone to the GP and make sure you tell them that you’re doing your best to sort it out and you’re not just victimising yourself or using it as an excuse not to do work. Also seek a school counsellor, it helped me of so much.

You have to realise that everyone goes through this, if I were you I’d make more effort to go in. I know it’s hard but you’ll thank yourself in the long run. If only I improved my attendance I know I would’ve gotten better grades.
Original post by Anonymal
Hi, so I told myself I was going to take a week off to sort of replenish myself and offload some stress. But it’s wednesday now and I’ve had multiple teachers in contact with me concerned over me being off.

What do I say to them when I get back because, I feel like I can’t just say it’s down to my mental health. I literally feel like I’m on the verge of a mental break down and I get most of my work done at home anyway.

Last year during AS I didn’t take time off and it resulted in me getting quite depressed to the point of having suicidal thoughts. I ended up opening up to a teacher but I think she just pity’s me or something. Like I’m annoying her with my problems.

I feel like a disappointment. Am I doing the right thing?

Also I’m going to visit my GP soon over my depression/anxiety and I’m considering meds.

Just let them know. Better late than never. Get a parent to phone in if you're not ready to tell them yourself. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest