The Student Room Group
Reply 1
^ it came out as 40% is that bad? I cited everything and paraphrased everything. Maybe I was a bit negligent. But my teacher said it doesn’t matter what the percentage is as long as we’ve cited everything? But I’m super worried that it may get me in trouble.
Reply 2
too late now i guess , isnt 40% really high?
Reply 3
Yeah apparently it is but my friend said it’s cos I used a lot of citations, but I’m screwed...I don’t know what else to do.
Reply 4
40% plagiarism for anything is too high, it should be under 10%. In my opinion, redo your work if you want to pass
if you cited a lot it can come up to as high as 40%... at this point you can't do too much if you can't resubmit it but I wouldn't worry too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I did cite quite a lot. And paraphrased, my friend said she submitted a 60% similarity one for a law essay, but the teachers expect us to have high similarities cos we are writing from books. But I also heard anything above 25% is an academic strike now I’m confused
Original post by 091944jb
I did cite quite a lot. And paraphrased, my friend said she submitted a 60% similarity one for a law essay, but the teachers expect us to have high similarities cos we are writing from books. But I also heard anything above 25% is an academic strike now I’m confused

Go with your teachers advice- they are the subject experts as they are lecturing you. Good luck :smile:
Original post by 091944jb
^ it came out as 40% is that bad? I cited everything and paraphrased everything. Maybe I was a bit negligent. But my teacher said it doesn’t matter what the percentage is as long as we’ve cited everything? But I’m super worried that it may get me in trouble.

You need to understand what Turnitin does for starters. People have this weird idea that it identifies plagiarism. No, it identifies similarities.

Plagiarism means adopting a work that is not yours, as your own.
You can have 100% similarities on turnitin, that doesn't necessarily mean you plagiarised. It just means that your work is probably very unoriginal. So long as you cited everything, you are absolutely fine.

Conversely, you can have even 5% similarity on turnitin, but if that 5% is proven to have come from a source that you did not cite, and you merely wrote it as having been of your own, now that is plagiarism.
Reply 9
Do you still require assistance ?
Reply 10
my results came up to 45% and i received 0% grade is that correct.
The 40% is NOT a plagiarism score - it is a similarity score. If you are using similar citations/paraphrases, as long as they are properly referenced or have 'quotation' marks it should be fine. Also, including bibliographies seems to hike the score. I got 40% for one assignment. I submitted it to a Turneditin 'similarity checking space' and the similarity score went down to 14%.

Latest