Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 61
Reply 62
thanks. :smile:
Reply 63
Just thought I'd say, the reason the crime rate is so high is because when they take crime figures, they leave out the nice suburbs that aren't technically part of the "City of Nottingham". Channel 4 stated that Nottingham was the fourth worst place to live, yet the borough of Rushcliffe was one of the best. Ironically Rushcliffe involves West Bridgford, which is about a mile south of Nottingham city centre, so I am told.

In fact I've seen some other crime figures - crime is way above average in some of the other "historic" cities such as Oxford and Norwich. Higher than Birmingham in fact. However the problem is some areas are far rougher than others, naturally. And that's the same everywhere you go.

Might add that I live in "beautiful" Canterbury, however if you enter it via Sturry Road you would have a rather unpleasant surprise and would try hard to get out of the mess. Additionally, a few months ago somebody got shot dead in a peaceful village just down the road from Canterbury. Also, I happen to know someone who got mugged there under a subway. Oh and there was a "high-profile" murder less than 850 years ago in the cathedral, where St Thomas a Becket was violently stabbed to death. Canterbury must be a pretty horrid place also.
haha why are people who dont live anywhere near nottingham going on like its a terrible city, theres nothing wrong with it, every city has crime, nottinghams has often been blown over the top by the media, ive lived here all my life and nothing has ever happened to me, i go clubbing every week-ive never been mugged/stabbed etc, just use your head and dont walk through "rough areas" on your own at like 3 in the morning with your ipod on full blast and youll be fine
Reply 65
EG:
A landlord has a house that can take a group of eight. He lets the house to 8 students who all have their own bedrooms with lockable doors (for privacy). Sadly the house gets burgled and the police register it as 8 individuals getting robbed rather than just one house. So what would normally show as say a 1% in the crime figures shows as an 8% instead.

Thats how crime stats get over inflated. Granted Nottingham is far from perfect but don't believe everything you hear/read.
Reply 66
Why does Nottingham have a higher crime rate than other cities in uk? Is there lots of poverty in Nottingham?
Reply 67
i hope not.
Reply 68
lol how did you get more neg rep than me :tongue:?
Nottingham has very contrasting areas; you get places like West Bridgford, Edwalton, The Park, the nice bits of Wollaton, Bramcote and Beeston, which are very affluent and middle class... then you get places like St Annes, The Meadows, Bilborough, and to an extent Radford, Lenton etc. where many students live, which are... well, not.
Reply 70
Beeston is Middle Class? Um, I don't really think so.
Reply 71
Nice train station though :wink:
Reply 72
v2006
Why does Nottingham have a higher crime rate than other cities in uk? Is there lots of poverty in Nottingham?

It doesn't have more crime than other cities in the UK. It's simply that is more televised as Nottingham is a small community as such. When you come here to study, you'll notice that Nottingham is actually a vibrant city and there are lots of well off people too. It's like anywhere really - you will see lots of well off, middle class and upper class people. But you'll also see people who are just getting by, etc...
Reply 73
I have lived in Notts pretty much all my life and it isn't as bad as the press make out.

The bad areas you want to stay away from however are

Lenton
Lenton Boulevard
Radford
Meadows
St Anns
Hyson Green

It is these surrounding area's that are awful and should be avoided in my opinion. The city itself is fine and to be honest after visiting Birmingham I actually have a much higher opinion of Nottingham lol :tongue:

Out of the city West Bridgeford is the nicest area [because cool people like me live there], and it has some nice bars such as Fire&Ice etc. But it is expensive on a student budget. There is some student accomodation there but it does cost alot more I think. *dont quote me on this*
Reply 74
I'd have to disagree with you there about Lenton - it's full of students, and in my experience is almost completely safe... ok, it's no West Bridgeford, but it's alright as long as you're sensible. Plus it's where 90% of all UoN students live excluding halls.
Reply 75
where is it that you can go and have a drink by the river trent?
waterfront or llyods or something? damn i pass that bloody bar every day and i've forgotten it's name! :mad:
Reply 77
well, i didn't mean the actual name. It's just that i thought that by some bad coincidence it would be around the meadows. so maybe i'm wrong?
maybe we're not thinking of the same river trent or something... *is confused today*
Reply 79
doesn't matter, i'll find out when i get there!! thanks for the help though :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending