How do you find new books to read? Watch

shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I often find myself rereading books rather than reading new ones, often on the basis of not knowing what to read next; so how do you find new books to read? And are they generally good books or bad that you end up finding? :beard:
Daveboi115
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
I often find myself rereading books rather than reading new ones, often on the basis of not knowing what to read next; so how do you find new books to read? And are they generally good books or bad that you end up finding? :beard:
I tend to only read popular science books and as such there’s an absolute wealth of options for me thankfully! I enjoy all sorts of topics from physics, chemistry and biology so I’m never stuck!

When it comes to fiction I struggle! I read my first fiction last year based off recommendation and since then I’ve just bitten the bullet and picked a random one to read although I seem to be tipping towards post apocalyptic dystopia styled books!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
generally, goodreads is pretty good for recommendations although sometimes, it does come up with terrible suggestions that just bore me out of my mind.
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do I have your question right that you want to know I rather read new books just bought or older ones in my bookshelf? if I have new books got, I would read those as a rule before I touch the older ones again.
dandiprat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have this issue a lot! Although, it’s more that I can’t find any new books (as in new releases) I can enjoy. I just stick to old books—mainly pre-1900s and reread the same ones repeatedly.
Sid The Kid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Booktube - Pretty good to looking at new releases, and popular books but all the mainstream popular channels just kind of promote the same books.
Look at GoodReads releases 2017 etc.
If I'm fond of a book I'll google ''books similar to''
Go to a bookstore and just look around

Albeit, 3 of my favourite books/series have all been found in like some random search.
username3674016
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
By looking, I suppose.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i buy books in charity shops ? like today they had a 2 for £1 offer at the Cancer shop. i bought a book about Mary Anning the Fossil Lady by Tracy Chevalier and another book. so if i don't enjoy it it's only 50p, which has gone to a good cause.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mailing lists, people on Facebook, reference lists (how dull).
username2281303
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im truly shocked no one has said...going to the library ??!?!?!

go to the library and just browse as much as you want...i usually choose books based on interesting covers & blurbs
seawaif
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nothing wrong with browsing the different tables in Waterstones, or looking at the ‘New In’ section in the library.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Recommendations based on previous books read and then I might stick with an author. So for instance, I read 10+ works of Trudi Canavan after someone on here recommended her Black Magician's trilogy to me last year.
RLinds
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Goodreads website
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Very rarely do I find new books as I already have a back catalog of books on my shelves waiting to be read. But when I have the time, I pop into Waterstones and look at the front cover that looks most appealing, read the blurb; take a screenshot, then buy it on Amazon because it doesn't hurt my wallet aha!
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Daveboi115)
I tend to only read popular science books and as such there’s an absolute wealth of options for me thankfully! I enjoy all sorts of topics from physics, chemistry and biology so I’m never stuck!

When it comes to fiction I struggle! I read my first fiction last year based off recommendation and since then I’ve just bitten the bullet and picked a random one to read although I seem to be tipping towards post apocalyptic dystopia styled books!
My dissertation this year is on apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic dystopians fiction. So if you have any topic you'd like a suggestion of, DM me!
jimmythebee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I usually first decide wich genre I want to read next. Then, I usually try some classic authors of this genre. When I started reading sci-fi, I first read some books by Stanislav Lem. Classics are classics for a reason, so they are not that bad in general. What books do you like? I might recommend some books based on your taste of books.
Heytherestranger
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I research top read books in genres
I like n read the first chapter to see if I'll like it or not.
sinfonietta
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Amazon Unlimited, GoodReads, and directly browsing publishers websites. Amazon Unlimited tends to be where most of the duds I read come from, but they cost nothing individually so no harm done.
shad0wthesun
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Usually I get introduced to new books when they are recommended to be by friends. That or I sometimes ask people who work in Waterstones what they would recommend!
Spannerin'moi
Report 7 months ago
Surf on internet...see recommends...go through wall vk and goodsreads....sometimes magazines too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.64%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.21%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (94)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed