The Student Room Group

A-levels at 19

dear fellow students,
i have recently moved to UK and i have no understanding whatsoever of the school/college system here. I got into a FE college, it's sh*t, i hate it, i don't see my future in this college. They're more concerned about diversity than quality of study, teachers leave and new ones come every 4-5 weeks.
i need your help! i do not have GCSEs, only a c in maths from an exam i did in this college, highest grade possible in the said exam. i want to do A levels, but i am 19. Is it still possible?
i don't know what to do...sixth form in my city only takes under 19s. please give me advice on what i should do.
There are some people in my college that are 19 and doing A levels so they can go to uni after, i dont know whether youll be able to join without having GCSE's unless you have foreign equivalent qualifications that will grant you access to a levels
Reply 2
I live in Luton; which college are you in?
You could do an access to education courses in a subject of your choice which leads you to university.

There are colleges that allow you to retake GCSEs.
Reply 4
Yes but most good unis require a levels, as far as I know
Original post by malikusama
Yes but most good unis require a levels, as far as I know

Some good uni's also accept access to higher education courses.

If you want to do a levels then find a college that do gcse retakes and then you can do a levels.
Reply 7
So right now I am on a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in computing. In uni I would like to study Computer Science but so far the ones that I have spoken to don't take BTEC. I don't understand why their reps came to our college if they only take BTEC...
Reply 8
you could do gcse's and the do a levels , age isnt a problem but you'll have to go to college to do them
you said you moved here , do you have any international qualifications?
Reply 9
I don't have any international qualifications as the country I come from we only do our exams at age 14 (high school) and 18/19 (diploma) I moved here before diploma and the colleges say they cannot accept the other one coz it's not equivalent to gces
I think If the sixth form has requirements they may make you take gcse English and science alongside 3 a levels for year 12. Then in year 13 you can take up a third one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending