SPTI
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is there any information available yet about the new Part-time maintenance loans for 2018-19?

How much will the maximum loan be?
How much is non ring-fenced on income?
When will the application portal open?
Can students who started before 2018 get this new maintenance loan?
John B SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SPTI)
Is there any information available yet about the new Part-time maintenance loans for 2018-19?

How much will the maximum loan be?
How much is non ring-fenced on income?
When will the application portal open?
Can students who started before 2018 get this new maintenance loan?
Hi SPTI,

We still have limited information on the part-time maintenance loan at the moment.

The maximum amount of loan available will be a percentage of the full time maintenance loan and will be based on the intensity of your study. Similarly, if you apply for a loan based on household income, the household income thresholds will match the full time thresholds.

Currently, the date after which you will be able to apply has not yet been confirmed, but the applications are aiming to be available from May 2018.

The part-time maintenance loan will be available to new students starting their course in the 2018/19 academic year.

Hopefully this information helps for now but more information will become available in the coming months. If you keep an eye on the Gov.uk website, as well as our Facebook and Twitter you'll be able to keep up to date as more information is released.

Kind regards,

John.
Florence_1995
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi John.You have stated that new students are able to apply for the part time maintenance loan, but I am a continuing student hoping to go part time for my final year, does this loan also apply for continuing students? This affects my ability to continue my studies therefore I need to know as soon as possible in order to make alternative arrangements in regards to employment and housing.Many thanks,Frankie Francis
Algal
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would like to know the answer to this too! I am pregnant, due in June and with the increased workload for my final year I would like to go part time, however if I am ineligible for a maintenance loan I cannot afford to live
Catherine SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Florence_1995)
Hi John.You have stated that new students are able to apply for the part time maintenance loan, but I am a continuing student hoping to go part time for my final year, does this loan also apply for continuing students? This affects my ability to continue my studies therefore I need to know as soon as possible in order to make alternative arrangements in regards to employment and housing.Many thanks,Frankie Francis
Hi Frankie,

Part time loans are only available to new students starting a course that begins on or after 1 August 2018.

Thanks

Catherine
Louelle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi If you have already started a degree (I am currently in my second year), and I enrol onto my next module in October 2018 (60 credits) and this will be my 3rd year. Am I correct in thinking that because I am not classed as a new student I cannot apply for a part time maintenance loan? This seems rather unfair if this is the case.Also on the gov website it advises that only disability students who are distance learning can apply for a part time maintenance loan...is this correct or can non disability students also apply?Thanks
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Louelle)
Hi If you have already started a degree (I am currently in my second year), and I enrol onto my next module in October 2018 (60 credits) and this will be my 3rd year. Am I correct in thinking that because I am not classed as a new student I cannot apply for a part time maintenance loan? This seems rather unfair if this is the case.Also on the gov website it advises that only disability students who are distance learning can apply for a part time maintenance loan...is this correct or can non disability students also apply?Thanks
Hi Louelle,

Only new part time students, from the academic year 2018/19 will be able to apply for a Maintenance Loan.

You are correct, from the academic year 2018/19, new Student Finance England students studying a part time distance learning course due to a disability are now able to apply for a Part Time Maintenance Loan (PTML).

If you are a continuing student, unfortunately you will not be eligible to apply for the Maintenance Loan.

Regards Rona
poozy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, will students with a previous degree but studying on a new part-time STEM course be eligible for the loan?thanks
Catherine SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by poozy)
Hi, will students with a previous degree but studying on a new part-time STEM course be eligible for the loan?thanks
Hi poozy,

If you are studying a new part time Stem course starting after the 1st of August 2018 then you will be eligible for the part time maintenance loan.

Thanks

Catherine
Jbjjj
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Will I be eligible for the part time maintenance loan after august if I am a new student with a disability studying with the open university
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jbjjj)
Will I be eligible for the part time maintenance loan after august if I am a new student with a disability studying with the open university

Hi Jbjjj,

You must be studying one of the following part time courses in order to be eligible to apply for a PTML:

• Bachelor Degree (with or without Honours)
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
  • Integrated Masters Degree
  • Graduate Diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
  • Healthcare Courses (Level 4, 5 ,6 and Integrated Masters Degrees)

To be eligible students must be commencing a new part time course that begins on or after 1 August 2018. If you already hold an Equivalent Level Qualification you will not be eligible for funding unless your new course is a part time exception course.

If you are undertaking a distance learning course due to a disability (including Distance Learning at the Open University) you will be able to apply.

Thanks Rona
EduStu67
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there, im just wondering why this PTML is only available to disabled students in a distance learning scenario? Able bodied students have valid reasons to also study in a distance learning establishment like the OU. Is the PTML likely to be made available to all distance learning students at any point in the future?Thanks!
John B SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EduStu67)
Hi there, im just wondering why this PTML is only available to disabled students in a distance learning scenario? Able bodied students have valid reasons to also study in a distance learning establishment like the OU. Is the PTML likely to be made available to all distance learning students at any point in the future?Thanks!
Hi EduStu67,

I do definitely appreciate where you're coming from, however, you are correct, for a student to be eligible for the PTML on a distance learning course, they must be studying distance learning due to their disability.

That's the regulations as it stands and there's been no information about that changing. However, the rules and regulations can change so I'd recommend keeping an eye out online for updates.

Kind regards,

John.
smwilliams1994
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I am looking to start a part time foundation degree in September but it is not through distance learning. I do have a disability, so would I be able to apply for the maintenance loan?
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by smwilliams1994)
Hi, I am looking to start a part time foundation degree in September but it is not through distance learning. I do have a disability, so would I be able to apply for the maintenance loan?

Hi smwilliams1994,

A part time maintenance loan (PTML) will be available for eligible part time undergraduate students who are commencing a new part time course from academic year 2018/19

Students must be studying one of the following part time courses in order to be eligible to apply for a PTML:

• Bachelor Degree (with or without Honours)
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
  • Integrated Masters Degree
  • Graduate Diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
  • Foundation Degree in Dental Health/Dental Therapy
  • Diploma of Higher Education in Dental Health/Dental Therapy or Operating Department Practice

Any other qualifications with the exception of those listed above will not be eligible for the PTML during academic year 2018/19. However students studying a different undergraduate qualification can still receive a part time tuition fee loan and DSA support.

A Foundation Degree on its own would not be eligible for the Maintenace Loan, unless it is in Dental Health/Dental Therapy, you can still receive a part time tuition fee loan and DSA support.

Thanks Rona
Clophillram
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Student a Finance England - is there a link to a PDF document that clearly explains the part time maintenance loans?
K Lascano
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello SFE,Are new Open University student eligible for the maintenance loan? I am thinking of studying two modules (one is 60, two which will account to 120 credits) but as I was going through the maintenance loan application, it was only around £2k . Forgive my uncertainty with the figures but I don't recall the exact amount. The part time application didn't ask for how many units I'll be studying. I have used the gov.uk student finance calculator and because I
U Zakuro
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello SFE,I will be studying full time through the OU for 2018/19. I am not disabled. Therefore am I right in saying that no maintence loan is available to me?Thank you.
Aisha SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by U Zakuro)
Hello SFE,I will be studying full time through the OU for 2018/19. I am not disabled. Therefore am I right in saying that no maintence loan is available to me?Thank you.
Hi, that's correct. You'll just be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan.

Regards, Aisha.
gm0c9148
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am from Northern Ireland and I am studying a PT Masters in London which requires me to be on campus 15 times a year... Am I eligible to receive a maintenance loan or do you know any other ways to help me support the costs of travel?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
27.91%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
19.02%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.82%
No - I live at home during term anyway (98)
30.06%

Watched Threads