High court rules that deporting EU rough sleepers from UK is unlawful Watch

This discussion is closed.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The Home Office policy of removing EU citizens found sleeping rough on UK streets that was introduced last year has been deemed unlawful and must stop, according to the High Court has ruling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42354864
So-Sarah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so much for Remainers claim that 'the UK can stop freedom of movement' - basically the EU wants to call the shots, one of the main reasons for Brexit
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by So-Sarah)
so much for Remainers claim that 'the UK can stop freedom of movement' - basically the EU wants to call the shots, one of the main reasons for Brexit
When say the EU wants to call the shots, are you suggesting that the EU controls the High Courts in this country? You know - our courts - that uphold UK law?
So-Sarah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
When say the EU wants to call the shots, are you suggesting that the EU controls the High Courts in this country? You know - our courts - that uphold UK law?
ECJ will say deporting of migrants is not allowed etc..hence we're best out of it, our own High Court rules can be changed if needed

from link:
The government said it was disappointed by the ruling - which applies to people from the EU and European Economic Area - but would not be appealing.

ie. this is against FOM rules, so let's end FOM as people voted for - why the F should we put up with foreing tramps, we've enough of our own - if immigratns work etc.. then it's a diff story as long as they have a visa etc..
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ie. this is against FOM rules, so let's end FOM as people voted for - why the F should we put up with foreing tramps, we've enough of our own - if immigratns work etc.. then it's a diff story as long as they have a visa etc..
Crumbs - that's a bit harsh. Treat others as you would have those treat us and all that? I take your point, but the sort of measures you are calling for are not a million miles away from the reasons we fought Hitler. Wasn't he very much in favour of picking off certain sections of society and having them removed one way or another?
So-Sarah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Crumbs - that's a bit harsh. Treat others as you would have those treat us and all that? I take your point, but the sort of measures you are calling for are not a million miles away from the reasons we fought Hitler. Wasn't he very much in favour of picking off certain sections of society and having them removed one way or another?
Hitler? Lol, give over, it's not remotely similar

bascially, immigrants are ok if they contribute to society otherwise we don't need them - that's the whole point of FOM, not that I agree with FOM in the first place but that's another story

there's a rule in EU that says countries can deport if jobless after 3 months, but we see here why it is not used, ie. it gets challenged by other EU rules so cannot be delivered, hence Brexit - Brexit is quite clearly the fault of the Remainers for not sorting out the ridiculous mass immigration system in the UK
Bored123456789
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What the hell are they contributing to the country if they are doing absolutely nothing? There's enough native homeless people, tbh and homelessness is extremely sad but the last thing we need is foreign homeless people on our streets.

Lol, unironically comparing people to Hitler 😂😂😂

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hitler? Lol, give over, it's not remotely similar

bascially, immigrants are ok if they contribute to society otherwise we don't need them - that's the whole point of FOM, not that I agree with FOM in the first place but that's another story

there's a rule in EU that says countries can deport if jobless after 3 months, but we see here why it is not used, ie. it gets challenged by other EU rules so cannot be delivered, hence Brexit - Brexit is quite clearly the fault of the Remainers for not sorting out the ridiculous mass immigration system in the UK
The threshold for deportation is always going to be high. It is not true re deportation if unemployed after 3 months; you have an initial right of abode for 3 months, and after then you need to be a qualified person to reside which is a) employed or b) seeking employment. Merely being unemployed does not give a right to deport a person.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chaz254)
What the hell are they contributing to the country if they are doing absolutely nothing?
Insinuating a job is the only way a person is capable of 'contributing' to the country...
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
Insinuating a job is the only way a person is capable of 'contributing' to the country...
I suppose their ass heats the pavement whilst they beg is a contribution
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
It isn't, ofc.

But how are homeless migrants helping?

Not trolling you, genuinely asking what you think.
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In London 90% of service jobs at fast food places and supermarkets are done by europeans.

They all live like 5 people to a room and so are happy with **** pay

Near impossible to get a decent pay and benefits as a summer job
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why stop at worthless immigrants? Why not get rid of UK homeless people? Or the elderly? Or the unemployed?

I don't really understand what the obsession with EU homeless is. If they are no use, surely everyone not pulling their weight should also be removed from society?
So-Sarah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Drewski)
It isn't, ofc.

But how are homeless migrants helping?
I guees they give the locals the 'opportunity' of feeling good about themselves when throwing a few coins........and for sure, the last thing we need is a bunch of foreign homeless competing for scarce accommodation, why don't they just go back to their own lands
So-Sarah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why not get rid of UK homeless people? Or the elderly? Or the unemployed?
Because they are British citizens with full rights to be here.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because they are British citizens with full rights to be here.
Ahh. So we are talking about rights then. So which rights exactly do EU citizens not have that we do? And how do you differentiate those who are useful and those who are not? By your measure an EU citizen caring for someone but earning nothing would be deported.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why stop at worthless immigrants? Why not get rid of UK homeless people? Or the elderly? Or the unemployed?

I don't really understand what the obsession with EU homeless is. If they are no use, surely everyone not pulling their weight should also be removed from society?
Are you taking the Micky or being serious?

We don’t get rid of certain uk nationals because they are uk nationals..... they are our problem.

If we have none uk nationals here that are homeless or in prison for example you won’t find much support for not kicking them out to their original country.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by paul514)
Are you taking the Micky or being serious?

We don’t get rid of certain uk nationals because they are uk nationals..... they are our problem.

If we have none uk nationals here that are homeless or in prison for example you won’t find much support for not kicking them out to their original country.
Not quite taking the micky but looking for a bit of humility. Talk about kicking those who having nothing. Homeless EU nationals on a scale of 1 to 10 is hardly number one priority surely? The thing I find so sad is that prior to 2008, there weren't really any homeless on our streets or food banks for that matter. Homelessness regardless of where the homeless come from is a reflection of where our society is at and the ungiving nature of this debate makes me a bit sick to be honest.

We are a rich nation. How pathetic that we can't house a few thousand people who have nothing. We could do it 10 years ago. Why can't we now? Instead some choose to vilify these people as some sort of underclass yet they are people just like you and I.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A terrible policy imo. If they've a right to be here then they should not be deported purely for being homeless. As soon as we leave the EU though I hope they've got the planes on standby.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not quite taking the micky but looking for a bit of humility. Talk about kicking those who having nothing. Homeless EU nationals on a scale of 1 to 10 is hardly number one priority surely? The thing I find so sad is that prior to 2008, there weren't really any homeless on our streets or food banks for that matter. Homelessness regardless of where the homeless come from is a reflection of where our society is at and the ungiving nature of this debate makes me a bit sick to be honest.

We are a rich nation. How pathetic that we can't house a few thousand people who have nothing. We could do it 10 years ago. Why can't we now? Instead some choose to vilify these people as some sort of underclass yet they are people just like you and I.
I’m not vilifying them, they are people who have issues..... the salient point though is who’s problem are they?

Ours or there’s? It’s quite obviously not our problem for someone who isn’t a UK citizen. It’s a far wider point than just homeless none uk nationals it’s the same with none uk prisoners and other category’s too.

We have lots of issues which are our own problem and not enough resources to solve them currently, we shouldn’t import these problems when we can deport them.

I feel it’s that simple.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (57)
56.44%
No (44)
43.56%

Watched Threads