High court rules that deporting EU rough sleepers from UK is unlawful Watch

This discussion is closed.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by paul514)
I’m not vilifying them, they are people who have issues..... the salient point though is who’s problem are they?

Ours or there’s? It’s quite obviously not our problem for someone who isn’t a UK citizen. It’s a far wider point than just homeless none uk nationals it’s the same with none uk prisoners and other category’s too.

We have lots of issues which are our own problem and not enough resources to solve them currently, we shouldn’t import these problems when we can deport them.

I feel it’s that simple.
Well they kind of are our problem. Or are you saying we should take responsibility for the 4.5 million British Expats that live around the world? Expats who don't pay UK taxes and if they ever got ill or became unemployed - by your measures should be repatriated immediately and dealt with by the British government.

It is swings and roundabouts. One thing we wanted of Europe was rights for British citizens in Europe. By the same measure, the EU wanted rights for EU citizens in the UK. We can't have it all and some people are going to fall through the net and need looking after. Why would anyone want to come and work for our NHS for example, paying UK taxes and gaining UK benefits, if there was a sword of Damacles hanging over their head that said f**k you the second something bad happened.

And in the context of £50 billion we have offered the EU, a few hundred homeless people are nothing.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Well they kind of are our problem. Or are you saying we should take responsibility for the 4.5 million British Expats that live around the world? Expats who don't pay UK taxes and if they ever got ill or became unemployed - by your measures should be repatriated immediately and dealt with by the British government.
Most are required to have health insurance.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

It is swings and roundabouts. One thing we wanted of Europe was rights for British citizens in Europe. By the same measure, the EU wanted rights for EU citizens in the UK. We can't have it all and some people are going to fall through the net and need looking after. Why would anyone want to come and work for our NHS for example, paying UK taxes and gaining UK benefits, if there was a sword of Damacles hanging over their head that said f**k you the second something bad happened.

And in the context of £50 billion we have offered the EU, a few hundred homeless people are nothing.
Sure, if those ex pats aren’t now nationals of the countries they reside in. This is a key point, where are they nationals of.

Secondly I was making a point over people in prisons and the homeless that aren’t uk nationals not someone who is suddenly claiming JSA, that would be a whole new level of harshness, and of course one which can be solved by becoming a citizen.

Your point on the EU is irrelevant too for many reasons. 1, it’s 35-39. 2, more than half the bill is paying for two more years of membership for a transition so it’s just continuing what we already pay. 3, the rest of that money is then spread out over donkeys years so is a much smaller sum per year. 4, what we pay the eu is irrelevant in this argument you are just highlighting the other bills the government has to pay for.

Also the number of none uk national homeless is irrelevant they should just be deported as a matter of course whether it be 50, 500 or 5000.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reue)
A terrible policy imo. If they've a right to be here then they should not be deported purely for being homeless. As soon as we leave the EU though I hope they've got the planes on standby.
Except if they're homeless odds are they don't have the right to be here, FOM, we kept being told, still allowed deportation of EU nationals who were not working. We were told over and over and over that FOM is fine because we can get rid of the parasites and this once again proves just how BS that line is.
So-Sarah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ahh. So we are talking about rights then. So which rights exactly do EU citizens not have that we do?
They do not have automatic residency rights.

And how do you differentiate those who are useful and those who are not? By your measure an EU citizen caring for someone but earning nothing would be deported.
A work permit system would be the way to go here.
Working voluntary would be unlikely to afford residency status.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Except if they're homeless odds are they don't have the right to be here, FOM, we kept being told, still allowed deportation of EU nationals who were not working. We were told over and over and over that FOM is fine because we can get rid of the parasites and this once again proves just how BS that line is.
Yes a lot of people who follow politics noticed this in conjunction with the no job after 3 months sold off line that some remainers use as a line of defence of free movement.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by So-Sarah)
They do not have automatic residency rights.

A work permit system would be the way to go here.
Working voluntary would be unlikely to afford residency status.
Fair dos. I just find it rather vulgar that we focus our attention on those who have the least as being the pariahs of society when we happily allow the richest to avoid paying their due, legally, morally or ethically.

I don't have a problem with a few homeless EU citizens. I do have a problem with people like Richard Branson who haven't paid a penny of tax in the UK for as long as anyone can remember. To say nothing of the damage to the world he does as he flits around the world in his private jet.

Come on - reality check!
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by So-Sarah)
so much for Remainers claim that 'the UK can stop freedom of movement' - basically the EU wants to call the shots, one of the main reasons for Brexit
One of the main reasons for Brexit was deporting hobos aye?:rolleyes:
So-Sarah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It was for controlling immigration.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
Insinuating a job is the only way a person is capable of 'contributing' to the country...
In this context it is. The EU is based around free movement of workers. It is primarily an economic union.

For my part, I think it's perfectly reasonable to restrict movement of EU citizens in line with the spirit of the treaties.
So-Sarah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
now Dianne Abbot wants to make it even easier for migrants to come here, aka, 'Easy movement' - what part of Lab leave voters not wanting mass immigration does she not get??
bobneck
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A while back I had a run of misfortune and became unintentionally homeless for far too many years, finding my future increasingly bleak as each year passed. Unable to save up a deposit
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (144)
61.28%
No (91)
38.72%

Watched Threads