The Student Room Group

Nursing vaccinations

Im due to start Mental Health Nursing at BCU in January and I need to make sure that I've had my vaccinations. I've noticed that I need varicella, hep B and TB. Is it best to have these done before I start or shall I tell occupational health that I haven't had these as of yet? Thanks
I'd get them before you start and I'd get on that because Hep B is three injection vaccination that needs to be spaced out.
The uni will arrange for you to have any outstanding vaccinations when you enrol.

Original post by Lizzie96e
Im due to start Mental Health Nursing at BCU in January and I need to make sure that I've had my vaccinations. I've noticed that I need varicella, hep B and TB. Is it best to have these done before I start or shall I tell occupational health that I haven't had these as of yet? Thanks
Original post by Lizzie96e

This should all be reviewed by the university and organised by them. You shouldn't need to organise any of these yourself.

If you are concerned, you can always contact the OH department at the uni and ask when arrangements will be made.
Reply 4
There is a national shortage of the HepB vaccine currently - you may not get that one
Original post by Charlotte's Web
This should all be reviewed by the university and organised by them. You shouldn't need to organise any of these yourself.

If you are concerned, you can always contact the OH department at the uni and ask when arrangements will be made.

Is this still the case as it said on my form u can go to a GP or go privately to do the vaccines?
Original post by AmberDalia
Is this still the case as it said on my form u can go to a GP or go privately to do the vaccines?

Different universities will have different policies - generally if you're missing one of the key vaccinations you should have had as a child your GP may provide it, but I'd certainly argue that you should not be out of pocket for completing the pre-requisites for the course. It would be worth contacting your OH department for clarification but if they need you to have any vaccinations it is their responsibility to tell you which are absolutely mandatory.
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Different universities will have different policies - generally if you're missing one of the key vaccinations you should have had as a child your GP may provide it, but I'd certainly argue that you should not be out of pocket for completing the pre-requisites for the course. It would be worth contacting your OH department for clarification but if they need you to have any vaccinations it is their responsibility to tell you which are absolutely mandatory.

They gave us a form with the vaccinations required that must be completed before May however I haven't had the hep B and that takes 9 months
Original post by AmberDalia
They gave us a form with the vaccinations required that must be completed before May however I haven't had the hep B and that takes 9 months

You really need to have a discussion directly with the OH department. I'm afraid I don't feel I have sufficient information to advise you - the only people who can give you a definite answer are OH. Usually you can go out on placement as long as you've had the first 1 or 2 doses, many universities do not give out the first dose until the summer before the semester starts, or until the actual course start.

Quick Reply

Latest