Does University of Liverpool considered as prestigious for llb Watch

Hilmanzikry
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I just wanted your opinion on University Of Liverpool mainly with the llb courses. Does University of Liverpool is considered on the same level like University of Manchester or is it lower? Like do University of Liverpool is as prestigious as Manchester or leicester for llb courses. I’m really hoping that anyone can help me with my question 😊
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hilmanzikry)
I just wanted your opinion on University Of Liverpool mainly with the llb courses. Does University of Liverpool is considered on the same level like University of Manchester or is it lower? Like do University of Liverpool is as prestigious as Manchester or leicester for llb courses. I’m really hoping that anyone can help me with my question 😊
I imagine it is roughly at the same level as other solid red brick unis. It's a decent uni, ahead of Leicester I would say.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hilmanzikry)
I think it's considered about the same for Training Contracts in the City. Probably ahead of Leicester, even though the latter gets a similar number of visits from commercial law firms.

I can't imagine local (high street) employers will care too much. The unis are relatively close to each other, and Liverpool in particular has lots of grads who come from, and go on to work into, the same region as the university.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Employers are not as fussed about 'prestige' as school-leavers assume. A Law degree from a sensible Uni is what matters, not the individual brand name of the Uni. You'll read a great deal of total tosh on TSR about 'which Uni for Law' and most of it is 'I've heard' or 'I assume' and not actually true.

Go to Liverpool - you'll have a great 3 or 4 years and will leave with a degree you will be proud of.
NotQuiteMikeRoss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I recently graduated from liverpool, having studied law. I was accepted by Manchester, but explicitly chose Liverpool.

I can tell you that no employer will care whether you went to Liverpool or Manchester (unless they were a Manchester firm and wanted someone with local links).

Once you leave the top tier (Oxbridge, UCL, LSE etc), the 'good' unis tend to be seen in the same light; this is something I was told explicitly by a recruiter from a top law firm.

People from my year have gone on to secure TCs at MC firms and other big names. If you go to Liverpool, get good grades, and have a well-rounded cv, you should be fine. At that point it becomes less about the uni, and more about you as a candidate. If you don't get a TC, it won't be because you chose Liverpool over another university (unless maybe that uni was oxford).

People on here will wax lyrical about uni rankings, but law firms are much more holistic in their recruitment. It's far more important that you have legal experience, and can show an interest in the law (and have the requisite academics, of course).

If you really like Liverpool, then go for it. I did, and I have no regrets.

EDIT: everything I said about Manchester v Liverpool is also relevant for Leicester. Broadly, they are all seen as 'good' unis, and are targeted by law firms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed