The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer Schools 2018

I was wondering if anyone is thinking of applying for a Sutton trust summer school for the summer of 2018. I'm thinking of applying for veterinary medicine at RVC or Cambridge but I'm still undecided which one to pick. The application opens in January and closes in march so I have plenty of time to decide.

Scroll to see replies

Yasss i definitely want to do Sutton Trust summer school although how competitive is it to go to one. I want to do Veterinary Medicine at either RVC or Nottingham
Original post by lucyliulu
Yasss i definitely want to do Sutton Trust summer school although how competitive is it to go to one. I want to do Veterinary Medicine at either RVC or Nottingham

There are 50 places at RVC and 10 at Cambridge for veterinary medicine. Nottingham has 24 places but the course for veterinary medicine is also aimed at zoology etc. There were 11,000 applicants last year for all the summer schools and 2,000 (approximately) got a place.
I’m thinking of applying for something history/politics related but am struggling to pick between Politics/Law/IR or Historical Studies at Nottingham or Politics at Warwick!
Will probably apply for maths :smile:
Need to make a decision between Bristol and Durham though...and I'm rubbish at making decisions :lol:
Original post by notshazia
I’m thinking of applying for something history/politics related but am struggling to pick between Politics/Law/IR or Historical Studies at Nottingham or Politics at Warwick!

sounds good :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
Will probably apply for maths :smile:
Need to make a decision between Bristol and Durham though...and I'm rubbish at making decisions :lol:

haha, I'm awful at making decisions.
Original post by OrangeArcher
haha, I'm awful at making decisions.

Glad it's not just me!
I'm going to apply for the Medicine one. Not sure which uni yet
Original post by pinkypaz123

just curious, what GCSE grades did you achieve?
just curious, what GCSE grades did you achieve?

4A*s (Chemistry, Physics, English Lang and Maths)
4As (Biology, Art, Graphics, French)
1B (English Lit)
What about you?
4A*s (Chemistry, Physics, English Lang and Maths)
4As (Biology, Art, Graphics, French)
1B (English Lit)
What about you?

Those are really good grades

4A*s (Biology, Chemistry, Art, English Literature)
6As (Maths, English Language, Physics, ICT, Geography, RE)
1B (Further Maths)
1C (French)
Reply 12
I was wondering if anyone is thinking of applying for a Sutton trust summer school for the summer of 2018. I'm thinking of applying for veterinary medicine at RVC or Cambridge but I'm still undecided which one to pick. The application opens in January and closes in march so I have plenty of time to decide.

Do it.

Take it from a (former) lazy unmotivated slob, go do it.

Some unis have summer schools which can lead u on to get a reduced offer. I know bristol does this so do ur homework.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Shaanv
Do it.

Take it from a lazy unmotivated slob, go do it.

Some unis have summer schools which can lead u on to get a reduced offer. I know bristol does this so do ur homework.

Thanks, I think Nottingham do that.
Reply 14

Highly recommend Nottingham's summer school. I did it 3/4 years ago (although I've changed my career prospects and doing a completely different course at uni), there were many university lecturer's and tutors who helped so much in terms of applying (e.g. how to write personal statement, how to get a high score for the UKCAT) as well as what to expect from uni. There are many fun events planned and you'll get the chance to meet very interesting people.

One of my friends that I met through this summer school who decided to pursue medicine got a reduced offer (although it was only by 1 grade).
Thanks, I think Nottingham do that.

Hey,
Do you know how much they reduce the offer by?
As I'm undecided between Bristol and Nottingham for the medicine strand - although deadline is quite far
Original post by SaraS786
Hey,
Do you know how much they reduce the offer by?
As I'm undecided between Bristol and Nottingham for the medicine strand - although deadline is quite far

With the Nottingham one I read that you get reduced money off your fees at university rather than a reduced offer, my bad for any confusion.
I have 2 9's 1 8 3A* and 5A's
I'm applying for Psychology at Cambridge
With the Nottingham one I read that you get reduced money off your fees at university rather than a reduced offer, my bad for any confusion.

Yup that's what I read too so I wasn't too sure.
Thanks for clarifying :smile:
I did the ucl summer school last year. If you have any questions pm me

Quick Reply

Latest