What are your IDEAL FURTHER MATHS MODULES?

Watch
DrSebWilkes
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
For me, I'd have picked (Edexcel)

C1-4
FP1-3
S1-4

and D1 because as much as I hate that module it's so meme-filled you can't say you've done maths without it.
Amullai
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Core and Further pure and then as much mechanics as I can fit in.
username2452153
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I picked FP1-2, M1-4 (nightmare), S1-2.
K-Man_PhysCheM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
C1-C4, FP1-FP3, M1-M4, S1-S2 (exam board: OCR)

13 modules, just in case I have a bad day and mess up M4 or something. I've already self-studied all the mechanics though, so I've got plenty of time to practice!
DrSebWilkes
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)

13 modules, just in case I have a bad day and mess up M4 or something. I've already self-studied all the mechanics though, so I've got plenty of time to practice!
Is mechanics all that important though? I know you want to do physics ... but ... is it though?
Appleorpear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DrSebWilkes)
Is mechanics all that important though? I know you want to do physics ... but ... is it though?
It's easier than doing S4 though right? Much less content.
K-Man_PhysCheM
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DrSebWilkes)
Mechanics is somewhat useful for physics since it will cover some of my first year Newtonian Physics modules. Note I haven't completely ignored stats, and with S1/S2 I have learnt standard deviation (useful for propagating uncertainties in physics), various discrete and continuous probability distributions, finding mean/variance/etc... for continuous probability distributions (useful for quantum mechanics at a basic level) and hypothesis testing (this is probably the most useful basic stats concept for academia in general).

But why do so much mechanics? Because it's so much fun!

Spoiler:
Show

In my opinion
imundercover
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would happily sit every single and any exam behinds Mechanics. I hate it with a burning passion No matter how hard I try it will just never click and I never understand it.
imundercover
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)

you self taught mechanics??? i really can't find any extra resources online that are sufficient enough for me to self-teach myself, could i ask how you did it?
EmilySarah00
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When doing 12 there isn't much variation but my ideal would be:

Core 1-4
FP 1-4 (AQA has 4 )
D1-2
S1
M1

(S2 and M2 are just nightmares!)
K-Man_PhysCheM
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by imundercover)
you self taught mechanics??? i really can't find any extra resources online that are sufficient enough for me to self-teach myself, could i ask how you did it?
I had loads of time to self-study mechanics (and I love the problem-solving aspect) so I learnt mechanics mainly by solving problems.

I started working through increasingly hard mechanics problems on the website Isaac Physics (started in year 12). It has lots of harder physics mechanics problems, branching up to and beyond M4 in some topics, though it lacks in others (and the questions are quite different to maths exam questions, with a focus on problem solving). At this point I thought to myself: "Hey, why not take a look at real M3/M4 to see how much of it I already know?"

Then from September to November I read through the OCR M3 and M4 textbook (and the specifications) to make sure I knew everything I needed to know for the exams. They've got decent explanations and worked examples, and plenty of exercises to test your understanding (though some of them are slightly weird...)

Then the past papers are invaluable, because the mark schemes actually show you the method (they miss out a lot of intermediate steps in their workings, but that should be self-explanatory).

Soon I will move on to old specification (eg 1970s) M5 and M6 (if I'm not too bogged down with my other A-levels) and start tackling STEP mechanics questions, which look to be really fun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise