The Student Room Group

Net Neutrality voted to be repealed - it affects us, too.

If you've been anywhere Twitter you'll see the internet having a collective breakdown over the FCC's decision to put a price on services you love like Netflix, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, and basically anything based in the US.

It'll affect anyone outside of the US as well, by charges incurred by any site with a US base, and ISPs abroad might have scope to force them to charge. This is the difference between your Netflix costing £5 a month, and £25 a month to keep up with ISP charges.

If you have any friends or family in the US, call them and ask them to rally their congressmen - it has to pass through Congress next, and with 83% being the reported figure of voters in favour of Net Neutrality, every bit of support matters.
Reply 1
Social media is erupting lol, so funny to watch 😂
You say it would go up to £25, but remember competition drives down prices. A monopoly is found where dumping causes all of your competitors out of the market, and allows you to establish a monopoly. But first there must be dumping, i.e. cheaper consumer prices. There are established stringent anti-trust laws in the US, and there is little reason to see it would happen.

It is like saying Tesco selling its own chocolate runs the risk of pushing Cadbury out of the market. However, Tesco's ability to do this is heavily moderated by the other large supermarkets' behaviour and the associated competition. Basically, mountain outta molehill.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
You say it would go up to £25, but remember competition drives down prices. A monopoly is found where dumping causes all of your competitors out of the market, and allows you to establish a monopoly. But first there must be dumping, i.e. cheaper consumer prices. There are established stringent anti-trust laws in the US, and there is little reason to see it would happen.

It is like saying Tesco selling its own chocolate runs the risk of pushing Cadbury out of the market. However, Tesco's ability to do this is heavily moderated by the other large supermarket's behaviour and associated competition. Basically, mountain outta molehill.

The problem is more that about 5-6 companies control most of American media/internet-stuff (word escapes me atm), and driving down prices means it's harder for (comparatively) smaller businesses to compete; they get bought out by said companies, and it continues.

I'm not gonna pretend I know a lot about economics, because I don't - it doesn't seem unimaginable to me this is going to profit those 5-6 and strain the rest via competing, though.
Original post by CastCuraga
The problem is more that about 5-6 companies control most of American media/internet-stuff (word escapes me atm), and driving down prices means it's harder for (comparatively) smaller businesses to compete; they get bought out by said companies, and it continues.

I'm not gonna pretend I know a lot about economics, because I don't - it doesn't seem unimaginable to me this is going to profit those 5-6 and strain the rest via competing, though.

The problem remains for small companies entering into the market place. It is a very expensive business to get into. The UK, as far as I know, makes it somewhat easier by lowering the regulatory burdens on small ISPs. Similar to how small shops don't have to charge 5p, ISPs below a certain threshold are exempt from an array of regulations, including the regulation to block copyrighted materials and the requirement to effect a database to allow the blocking of said websites. That acknowledges the difficulty of starting and maintaining an ISP.

However, the 5 or 6 who dominate the market would compete against each other. The alleged abuses, of trying to promote your own subsidary's products by favouring their servers over its rivals, would still be illegal under anti-trust law. It is more easily captured by net neutrality, and hence it is most often mentioned as a breach of net neutrality, but it is illegal under anti-trust also. Also these abuses cannot be "competed" out of by the very fact they are surreptitiously executed. If they were done in the open, market pressures would extinguish the practice. Further, if HBO is going to pay you a surplus in order to promote its servers when GOT is premiering, that would take away from the expense for the consumers of maintaining the ISP. It would also allow other ISPs to bid for the preference, which could decrease costs for the consumer and increase the experience of the consumer.
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
To put it into perspective, if Net Neutrality is repealed, you would be charged £2 PER GOOGLE USE.

This is per question, not per day.

The **** you on about.
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Honesty I could live off just my cell data, To much Internet is becoming a issue anyways.
(edited 6 years ago)
To put it into perspective, if Net Neutrality is repealed, you would be charged £2 PER GOOGLE USE.

Eh?
I saw a facebook status last week which just said "nut neutrality" and now I constantly misread net neutrality as that. I have no real insight here, I just wanted to share that.

I mean that just sounds blatantly wrong. Where's that thought come from?

Spoiler

Original post by CastCuraga
If you've been anywhere Twitter you'll see the internet having a collective breakdown over the FCC's decision to put a price on services you love like Netflix, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, and basically anything based in the US.

It'll affect anyone outside of the US as well, by charges incurred by any site with a US base, and ISPs abroad might have scope to force them to charge. This is the difference between your Netflix costing £5 a month, and £25 a month to keep up with ISP charges.

If you have any friends or family in the US, call them and ask them to rally their congressmen - it has to pass through Congress next, and with 83% being the reported figure of voters in favour of Net Neutrality, every bit of support matters.

Extreme exaggerations, like the whole of Twitter and Reddit.

Firstly, this doesn't necessarily affect us atm. The US' FCC and US ISPs are different to those in the UK, which the repeal affects.

Secondly, let me know when the ******** you are spewing, such as us having to pay to access Facebook, actually happens. Like another user mentioned, learn how the free market works. Yes there can be monopolies but there can also be competition.

Jfc, I can't get away from the REEEEEing over Net Neutrality. I came on TSR to get away from the Twitter and Reddit circlejerk.
Original post by Chaz254
Yes there can be monopolies but there can also be competition.

American ISPs and competition? LMFAO. When hell freezes over. Google couldn't compete on a serious level, so what hope has anyone else got? The US ISP market will be a cluster**** of mono/duopolies until they're literally ripped apart by the government.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
The **** you on about.

Original post by JamesN88
Eh?

Original post by FriendlyPenguin
lol

Original post by Retired_Messiah
I mean that just sounds blatantly wrong. Where's that thought come from?

Spoiler

Looks like the person who posted that deleted the post when they realised how ****ing ridiculous what they said was :rofl:
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Looks like the person who posted that deleted the post when they realised how ****ing ridiculous what they said was :rofl:

dang I really wanted it to be a meme I wasn't clued up on
Original post by Texxers
Social media is erupting lol, so funny to watch 😂

It really isn't funny. What you are talking about is like saying those bombs being dropped on the town in the distance are funny.

This will affect everyone. Unless you want to go back to 1995 and the joy that was the 56k modem, you are going to have to pay through the nose for access to services like YouTube, Netflix and other online streaming services.
Original post by ByEeek
It really isn't funny. What you are talking about is like saying those bombs being dropped on the town in the distance are funny.

This will affect everyone. Unless you want to go back to 1995 and the joy that was the 56k modem, you are going to have to pay through the nose for access to services like YouTube, Netflix and other online streaming services.

So still following through with the ridiculous exaggerations that social media are brainlessly spewing 😂😂😂
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Yeah, I thought they were parodying, but in hindsight they might actually have been unironically parroting their Facebook feed.

Its really funny how clueless most people are about it, despite being very worked up about it. Seems like most don't even realise that it is just a US law...

Yeah my understanding was it has literally nothing to do with UK in the slightest, not sure why people on this forum are on about us getting charged. Perhaps there's a convoluted way that could happen, as I say I'm not particularly read up here. Actually actually...

Original post by ByEeek

mate how's a US law got potential to leave a British boi like myself getting charged?

Quick Reply