Personal Statements - font size/word limits..etc Watch

This discussion is closed.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Most people i know are confused about this. As far as i know there are NO word limits. You have to fit your personal statement in a fixed amount of space. Can anyone confirm that the amount of space given is identical as the template given here?:

http://www.uk-learning.net/t49132.html

Also is there a font size limit of 12? And am i right in assuming that it does not matter what type of font you use?
Teeble
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
When applying online there's a fixed limit, although I'm not sure about the other routes limits and whatnot.

You are able to enter up to 47 lines, based on the preview
:confused:

And I'm sure that as far as font size is concerned, they want it to be at least size 12.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, heh :rolleyes:
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yup - it needs to be size 12 (though I guess it could be larger if you want but I can't imagine why you'd do that!) because they shrink the forms down I believe, so anything smaller than size 12 can't be read clearly. And I think they recommend Times New Roman as the font - again I'd go with that because it's pretty compact but not unclear.
Jenn xx
TheWolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by JennLlama)
Yup - it needs to be size 12 (though I guess it could be larger if you want but I can't imagine why you'd do that!) because they shrink the forms down I believe, so anything smaller than size 12 can't be read clearly. And I think they recommend Times New Roman as the font - again I'd go with that because it's pretty compact but not unclear.
Jenn xx
If you dont have enough room, you can change your font type so it can fit more words right?
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think you are allowed to go any smaller than font size 12, otherwise as I said it will be illegible when they shrink it down (I believe it ends up on A5 sheets, down from A4, so it will be about half the original size). If it doesn't fit in the box at font size 12, I think you'll have to cut it down so that it does
Jenn xx
TheWolf
Rep:
?
I don't think you are allowed to go any smaller than font size 12, otherwise as I said it will be illegible when they shrink it down (I believe it ends up on A5 sheets, down from A4, so it will be about half the original size). If it doesn't fit in the box at font size 12, I think you'll have to cut it down so that it does
Jenn xx
crap i meant font type not font sizze
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ah right. Well that probably depends on the font that you intend to use. I'm not sure if it's absolutely compulsory that it must be in TNR (check the UCAS website maybe) but I guess it's not cos they're going to get some handwritten forms anyway... You'll need to be very careful with the font you choose if it's not TNR because, like using a smaller font, it may not be readable once it has been shrunk down. I can't think of many that are more compact than TNR anyway - did you have one in mind?
Jenn xx
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Ah right. Well that probably depends on the font that you intend to use. I'm not sure if it's absolutely compulsory that it must be in TNR (check the UCAS website maybe) but I guess it's not cos they're going to get some handwritten forms anyway... You'll need to be very careful with the font you choose if it's not TNR because, like using a smaller font, it may not be readable once it has been shrunk down. I can't think of many that are more compact than TNR anyway - did you have one in mind?
Jenn xx
im not sure yet so does anyone know the exact dimension of space i have to fit my ps in?
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
im not sure yet so does anyone know the exact dimension of space i have to fit my ps in?
Have you tried on www.studential.com ? I think there is some info there on it.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Geogger)
Have you tried on www.studential.com ? I think there is some info there on it.
thanks

Getting more words on page:
http://www.studential.com/guide/ps_more_on_a_page.htm

Word template:

http://www.studential.com/media/ps_template.doc
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
27%
No (695)
73%

Watched Threads