The Student Room Group

Inkjet

What have you done as you are stuck?
Original post by Eimmanuel
What have you done as you are stuck?

Hey! Thanks for your quick response,

I've found an expression for a general deflection for the section in the plates, but I'm unsure how to incorporate the L, h section out with the plates and then also unsure as to how I go about finding an expression for the difference in charge, I thought trigonometry, but the final expression doesn't involve an angle :/
Original post by marinacalder
Hey! Thanks for your quick response,

I've found an expression for a general deflection for the section in the plates, but I'm unsure how to incorporate the L, h section out with the plates and then also unsure as to how I go about finding an expression for the difference in charge, I thought trigonometry, but the final expression doesn't involve an angle :/

See hint 3 in the Isaac Physics.

Imagine that there are two droplets of same mass but of different charges are travelling inside the electrodes with constant electric field strength. The two droplets would have different vertical acceleration, so they would exit the electrode at different vertical height.

After they exit the electrode, the two droplets would move at a constant velocity to reach the paper at different vertical height say S1 and S2.

The difference in the height is h = S1 S2.
Yes, that’s what I thought, but I keep getting the wrong answer, what do you get at the end?
Yes, that’s what I thought, but I keep getting the wrong answer, what do you get at the end?

Can you post your working?

Inkjet_01_LI.jpg
Algebra manipulation can be tedious.
Don’t have access to my laptop till Monday, I’ll just try to forget it- thank you so much for the help though :smile:
Would you mind posting the workings? This isn’t homework, I’m a gap year student so this is just for my own enjoyment/ benefit
Would you mind posting the workings? This isn’t homework, I’m a gap year student so this is just for my own enjoyment/ benefit

Inkjet_02_LI.jpg
I did not really do the algebra manipulation. You can use any wolfram alpha to simplify the equation.:smile:
You can always post your working for others to check.

Quick Reply

Latest