The Student Room Group

I asked her out and she said "I shall see"...

In short: She shows signs of liking me - touching me on the arm, elbow, laughing at my stupid jokes, when I went to work she went the same time as me and took the same train (I took central line, she normally takes District). She stares at me and when I stare back, her glance diverts. She sends me "VIP" voice notes of her singing which she doesn't to anyone else (cringe? Maybe shes being friendly? ) I'm not clingy as I only message her once a day, and that is to see if shes coming into Uni etc, and do the majority of the talking at University. So I asked her out before and she reacted enthusiastically by saying "YES" and she had to cancel due to the abundance of assignments (which is the truth). That was the first strike. Then I asked her to study with me, she also said "sure", then had to cancel because her mum told her to go home early - she hung out with our internal group of friends and left shortly after telling everyone that "her mum told her to go home early" - second strike (do these two count as strikes?). Ok I asked her out yesterday and this is how the conversation went:

Me: Haha Ill try! And also, after I return from Morocco we should go out for a bite
(she read the message and replied an hour later, was she thinking? She normally reads messages and replies later - shes very different in real life)
Her: Indeed
Her: When do you return
Me: December 29th
Her: Hmmmm
Her: I shall see
Her: When I am free
Me: Okayyy

I left it there, didn't talk about "scheduling a date" in case.

Now, am I being played with and should I just forget about her and catch another fish? Or, after I come back from holiday, ask her when she is available?

Just some extra info: She was doing her assignments while I asked these questions

Thank you very much all!

Scroll to see replies

She’ll consider your application and decide whether she should invite you for an interview and “shall see” the best time.
This is literally just saying she'll see when she's free after you return. You say she's busy with assignments, this is probably why. There's not really much more to it.
But when a girl says "shall see", "ill see" "we'll see", doesnt it mean no, but in a nicer way?
Original post by FloralLuxe
She’ll consider your application and decide whether she should invite you for an interview and “shall see” the best time.

Hahaha, that made me smile. Why are girls so damn confusing? Why can't she just reject or accept by saying "yes" or "no"
This means absolutely yes.
Original post by SpottedFlick
But when a girl says "shall see", "ill see" "we'll see", doesnt it mean no, but in a nicer way?

"No" means no, "yes" means yes, and "I shall see" means I shall see.

Hahaha, that made me smile. Why are girls so damn confusing? Why can't she just reject or accept by saying "yes" or "no"

Because you're overthinking it.

Just wait a day and I'm sure she'll get back to you.
Reply 7
In short: She shows signs of liking me - touching me on the arm, elbow, laughing at my stupid jokes, when I went to work she went the same time as me and took the same train (I took central line, she normally takes District). She stares at me and when I stare back, her glance diverts. She sends me "VIP" voice notes of her singing which she doesn't to anyone else (cringe? Maybe shes being friendly? ) I'm not clingy as I only message her once a day, and that is to see if shes coming into Uni etc, and do the majority of the talking at University. So I asked her out before and she reacted enthusiastically by saying "YES" and she had to cancel due to the abundance of assignments (which is the truth). That was the first strike. Then I asked her to study with me, she also said "sure", then had to cancel because her mum told her to go home early - she hung out with our internal group of friends and left shortly after telling everyone that "her mum told her to go home early" - second strike (do these two count as strikes?). Ok I asked her out yesterday and this is how the conversation went:

Me: Haha Ill try! And also, after I return from Morocco we should go out for a bite
(she read the message and replied an hour later, was she thinking? She normally reads messages and replies later - shes very different in real life)
Her: Indeed
Her: When do you return
Me: December 29th
Her: Hmmmm
Her: I shall see
Her: When I am free
Me: Okayyy

I left it there, didn't talk about "scheduling a date" in case.

Now, am I being played with and should I just forget about her and catch another fish? Or, after I come back from holiday, ask her when she is available?

Just some extra info: She was doing her assignments while I asked these questions

Thank you very much all!

Run the other way my man. At least don't expect anything from it. YOU'RE A PRIORITY AND NOTHING LESS

Forreal it could go either way
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GrownBird
This means absolutely yes.

Absolutely Yes that I am rejected or that she is interested in going out with me?
Original post by num.7
"No" means no, "yes" means yes, and "I shall see" means I shall see.

Because you're overthinking it.

Just wait a day and I'm sure she'll get back to you.

And if she doesnt? This girl has only initiated the conversation about twice. Shes not very texty if you know what I mean.
Original post by Xopher_
Run the other way my man. At least don't expect anything from it. YOU'RE A PRIORITY AND NOTHING LESS

Forreal it could go either way

Thanks for the comment. Our internal group of friends have occassional Google Hangout sessions, and when I'm not there, she messages on the group saying that I should come on. Also, when I left the hangout session, she sent me a voice not saying "please come back"
Reply 11
I see this as a 50/50 chance to be honest. She might genuinely be busy or she could be stalling your attempts to ask her out. Just wait until she gets back and then ask again.
Thanks for the comment. Our internal group of friends have occassional Google Hangout sessions, and when I'm not there, she messages on the group saying that I should come on. Also, when I left the hangout session, she sent me a voice not saying "please come back"

Eh, she's probably interested. But never get your hopes up about it, because a girls feelings can change in an instant. Sad truth.
Original post by UWS
I see this as a 50/50 chance to be honest. She might genuinely be busy or she could be stalling your attempts to ask her out. Just wait until she gets back and then ask again.

Normally I have to chase her up when she doesnt get back to me. Thank you for the comment!
Original post by Xopher_
Eh, she's probably interested. But never get your hopes up about it, because a girls feelings can change in an instant. Sad truth.

Yeah, very true. Funny thing is, my mate is also attracted to her. I don't know if I should stick to the Bro Code or not. Actually, I think two of my mates are. She is very beautiful. However, she seems to be paying more attention to me (as far as I am aware)
Yeah, very true. Funny thing is, my mate is also attracted to her. I don't know if I should stick to the Bro Code or not. Actually, I think two of my mates are. She is very beautiful. However, she seems to be paying more attention to me (as far as I am aware)

It's awkward when this happens, but even if she chooses one of your friends, it's not worth fighting for. I've been in a similar situation and she chose neither of us :biggrin: She's now my bestie.
And if she doesnt? This girl has only initiated the conversation about twice. Shes not very texty if you know what I mean.

Sorry, I didn't read your entire post. A lot of threads on here are very similar.

So I asked her out before and she reacted enthusiastically by saying "YES" and she had to cancel due to the abundance of assignments (which is the truth). That was the first strike.

That is not a strike.

Then I asked her to study with me, she also said "sure", then had to cancel because her mum told her to go home early - she hung out with our internal group of friends and left shortly after telling everyone that "her mum told her to go home early" - second strike (do these two count as strikes?).

That is not a strike.

Imagine if you couldn't go out with someone because you need to visit your mother, who has recently been hospitalised. Would you consider that a strike? You need to redefine what a 'strike' is.

---

She knows you like her. It seems very clear (hopefully you made it clear to her). If she liked you too and is smart, she would give you an alternative arrangement. Most people are stupid so ask her to do that. If it still happens, I would no longer bother with her.
u flopped
Original post by num.7
Sorry, I didn't read your entire post. A lot of threads on here are very similar.

That is not a strike.

That is not a strike.

Imagine if you couldn't go out with someone because you need to visit your mother, who has recently been hospitalised. Would you consider that a strike? You need to redefine what a 'strike' is.

---

She knows you like her. It seems very clear (hopefully you made it clear to her). If she liked you too and is smart, she would give you an alternative arrangement. Most people are stupid so ask her to do that. If it still happens, I would no longer bother with her.

When do you think I should ask her to give me an alternative arrangement? After I return (closer to that date) or tomorrow?

To be honest, I feel like I should ask her after my holiday as it would seem more applicable. Maybe not?
Original post by KnightArtorias
u flopped

How?

Quick Reply