History or Geography? Watch

biologyismylife
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Which one is easier to revise? Which is more interesting? Does one have a difficult exam? Please talk about your personal experiences, I'm not sure which one I should take for GCSE. Thanks! xx
Gurdeepthelegend
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by biologyismylife)
Which one is easier to revise? Which is more interesting? Does one have a difficult exam? Please talk about your personal experiences, I'm not sure which one I should take for GCSE. Thanks! xx
I take both. Geography exams are a lot easier than history exams but lessons are really boring. You may get to go on a residential field trip here and there but you have to do actual work to improve your physical geography skills.

History is a lot more interesting than geography but it’s a lot harder to revise for. Plus exams tend to be quite difficult. If you’re good at English and enjoy writing essays, I suggest you take history
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jacky_Ye
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey I’m in Year 10 and I’ve chosen GCSE Geography this year. Geography and History are very difficult. However, choose the subject you enjoy most or look at your grades that you’ve got currently. I’d recommend you to choose the subject you’re most good at, so that you will most likely pass.

My experiences (Geography): The first topic we’ve learnt in Geography was Urbanisation. It wasn’t really that hard. Just remember to fully concentrate in lessons. The second topic which we are doing right now is Geology, Coastal Landscape and Rivers. You may want to kill yourself after this one 😂😂 Stresses me out. But one way or another, Good luck!
jbrdodd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I took Geography and History.

I found Geography alot harder personally, and just found it boring to revise for. I ended up getting a B.

On the otherhand, History was alot easier and more interesting. It does have some similarities to English Language, however, its so much easier to write loads: I ended up getting an A in it. History is fairly easy to revise for too.
randomsheep11
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I am in Year 12 and did both at GCSE (a different course to what you'll do but it can't be soooo different).

Basically ,I found Geography more enjoyable and interesting. History was somewhat dull.

HOWEVER, I found History exams easier. For Geography, I presume you have case studies that you need to learn and refer to in exams and in my course 25% of the grade was determined by a paper on "Geographical Skills" (a non-content based paper imho). For History, you just learnt the facts and followed a structure in answering questions that your history teacher makes you rehearse for hours and hours throughout the course.

However, I still found that I benefited much more from Geography. I don't know what other subjects you're taking, but Geography goes better than History for the following subjects:

Any Foreign Language
Business Studies
Economics
Science

For History:
English
Sociology
RE

I personally found that Geography was more enjoyable but the exams were a bit harder.
Sophiew789
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If your school offers a btec travel and tourism which is like geography but about tourism etc then do that, there's only once exam and three units of coursework, Its offered in my school and most people who done history failed the first exam so bad that they weren't allowed to continue and instead done a coursework based subject for the rest of the time afterwards.
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History HistoryHistory History History History History History
username3247880
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It kind of depends on your exam board, for mine (OCR Geography A) I prefered geography as it is more science-oriented and less essay based than history
liamdeltos
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I took Geography and History for GCSEs and got A* for both of them. These are the pros and cons in my opinion: History- Pros: interesting(this is subjective); it is definitive(all the events happened and at least at GCSE standard, you don't have to formulate much of an opinion or draw on new revelations); a lot shorter to revise; easy to make notes on as your textbook will have more than enough info cons: entirely essay orientated and this may become boring Geo- Pros: based on modern world- if ur taking economics this is a great pairing cons: boring; too much to learn; revision takes up un-proportional amounts of time due to the various case studies you need to know in depth- unlike in history, you cant leave anything out
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Whichever one you find most interesting. Look at the specification and decide which one youd like to learn about.
TeeJay7373
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by biologyismylife)
to be honest with you, i take both and i really prefer geography to history, its just an easy A* as for history, paper 4 is a bit of a challenge and you need to be careful:closedeyes::closedeyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.93%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (193)
30.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed